Hepatitis C Community
Dietary questions for 3-drug treatment

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Dietary questions for 3-drug treatment

Hi!  I will be starting the 3-drug treatment any time now.  

Besides the 20g of fat I am supposed to eat is there anything else I should be eating while undergoing treatment?  I know there are certain foods that promote a healthy liver - should I incorporate them into my meals?  Does it matter?  I realize I may experience loss of appetite, but can certain foods have the potential to make me feel sicker?

Thanks!
When you take your 20 grams of fat and the pills try to eat some solid foods with the 20 grams of fat (not just liquid).

For foods ... I think try to eat as healthy as possible (not withstanding the 20 grams of fat, lol). Try ro get a variety of fresh fruit, vegetables, healthy meats (not processed or fast foods or junk), eggs, cheese, dairy, whole grains.

That may be easier said than done. But at least try. Many of us lose our appetites and things don't taste the same as before. Also, one week or two one thing tastes good and the next week it tastes horrible. Plus there is the potential nausea (which, if you get it, you should get an anti-nausea prescription). One thing I did when I was trying to eat something that (to me) had no taste, was to add some pickled beets or bread and butter pickles, or Greek olives to the plate and then intersperse the more spicy foods with the food that tasted blah. It worked for me.

If you know of any foods that currently give you heartburn or a lot of bloat, avoid them. You will have enough of that from the meds.

One thing that would help is to get a Vitamin D blood level to be sure it is normal. Many, many people with Hep C have low Vit D levels. One study showed that taking Vit D helped improve treatment success. Of course, discuss any supplements with your doctor before you start taking them. However, getting the Vitamin D blood level is important because you don't want to be treating with a low Vit D level.

Best of luck treating.
Thanks.  That was helpful.  I'm realizing that the closer I am to starting that I know very little about any of this!