Hepatitis C Community
Difference between Hep C and Hep B ???

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Difference between Hep C and Hep B ???

Ok Im gonna ask this question since I went to the Hep B forum and asked.What is the difference between Hep C and Hep B?Are they treated the same?The person that answered me on the Hep B forum came back and told me that this was a "USELESS" question and it was like comparing the flu to HIV!!! I believe that these forums are for answers and was annoyed that he responded like that.I am NOT an expert on Hep B and am still learning about HepC. Heck if I knew the answer,I wouldnt have asked!!!!Im just curious.(thats my nature) Guess Ill keep my questions to my Hep C friends!!!
By the way that post is now gone-Maybe the moderator didnt like it either !!!!!

By the way again-What is the Difference???
HCV is an RNA virus, HBV a DNA virus. In that respect comparing the two to flu vs. HIV isn't that inaccurate. HBV is a more complex disease and tx. It's also rare for it to become chronic and has a higher rate of the body clearing it on its own but a much poorer response to current txs. when it does become chronic. Hope that helps.
they belong to 2 separate families  hep b is in the family hepadnaviridae  hep c is in the flaviviridae  in replication hep b dna is reverse transcribed into rna then back to dna  the hep c virus is a single strand rna + polarity  in hiv replication the virus rna is reverse transcribed to dna then back to rna

there are many other differences as well as similarities  i think their genetic makeup accounts for most differences
In addition to the differences in replication method, transmission risk is higher with Hep B as it can be sexually transmitted, whereas generally not with Hep C.  The large majority of adult patients exposed to Hep B clear it, whereas with Hep C adults who are exposed and clear are the minority.  Hep B exposure during childhood is more difficult to clear and often becomes chronic.  Also, as you probably know, currently there is vaccination against Hep B but none against Hep C.

They both affect the liver and can cause cirrhosis, but I know Hep B also carries a higher risk for liver cancer than does Hep C.  My understanding is that a large majority of hep C patients can clear the virus with treatment, but not the case with Hep B, which is more difficult to treat (though I know very little about what that entails).  Hope that helps.  ~eureka