Do antibiotics affect blood work?
I was tested for hepatitis C about 4 and a half after exposure... if it wasn't even remotely an exposure.
I was on antibiotics for a toothache and didn't think too much of it.
But now I'm worried that my negative blood test isn't actually negative and it was a false negative.
I tried looking it up and it doesn't seem as though it's a fact that it does affect blood tests.
Could someone let me know?
by 4 and a half, I meant months
Feb. 3rd I came in contact with blood on a counter and I had a cut that wasn't bleeding and it was caused by dry hands and didn't feel it until I put hand sanitizer on afterwards.
March 2nd... tested... came back negative.
Got to thinking about it again and tested on June 17th
It came back negative.
I'm just nervous that the blood work was affected by the antibiotics from my toothache.
to my knowledge antibiotics will not effect the test. I wouldn't worry about it, but you can always get tested again to assure yourself-Dave
No antibiotics won't affect the test. Antibiotics are meant to kill bacteria. Hep c is caused by a virus. Two completely different critters all together.

Also if antibiotics would kill our critter, we wouldn't be taking all of these super toxic drugs trying to get rid of it.

You don't have anything to worry about... honest.
I went and talk to the nurse that gave me the blood test. She said that everything is correct and that even though I was on antibiotics it shouldn't have affected it by any means. She also said that she knows I'm worried about getting HCV and although she's not saying to get tested again, she says that if I want to test at 6 months past exposure, she would think that would be me at ease... even though now she thinks these tests are conclusive at 19 weeks.
She says that because some people are slow to make antibodies and it can take up to 6 months to have enough to show up on the test. If you are clear at 6 months... you really are clear.
So in order to make sure that I'm HCV negative, I should test again on August 3rd to make it conclusive?
If it was me... I would because I wouldn't be able to get it out of my head knowing that possibility was there... and it would make me crazier than I already am.
Hahaha I'm NUTS about this kind of thing. The blood was on a counter and was smeared... and only a few spots. My sister took this certification class for her job being that she's a manager that teaching safety in the workplace (warehouses) and she said that I would have to have a deep deep cut and even then it's a pretty slim chance of it happening.
You had little chance of getting it that way in the first place, and your doctor told you that you do not have it. Getting tested is for you to feel more comfortable. You are fine!
Thanks for your advice. I'm terrified of this kind of thing. A friend of mine managed to get it from a tattoo not too long ago and his suffering makes me scared that I could easily get it like he did. I have talked to doctors and I'm certain there wasn't a blood to blood contact... but with these internet websites scarying people to death about have even a small scratch could be an entry way to getting a disease bugs me.

I think I'll just ask for the 6 month test and be done with it. It's not needed but it's something to put my mind to ease...
one more thing, why does it take 6 months to test for Hep C? I would think that testing for it would be just like HIV where if you test at 3 months it's pretty conclusive unless your immune system is compromised (cancer meds and such). Is it just for precautions or does it really take that long to have accurate test results?
Some people take that long to produce antibodies. They are pretty sure that if you are going to have them, you will by 6 months.
Ah. That makes a lot of sense. I just hope that I'm not one of those people... I get so nervous at the thought of this that I hope I didn't offend anyone in any way because I do hope they find a cure for this and HIV. These diseases are just horrible and hearing stories about them and how they have destroyed lives is just enough to think about what I do. I'm even a cashier and I didn't even think about where some people have kept money and what they have done with it before handing it over to me.