Hepatitis C Community
Does Hep C Screw with your Blood pressure and Blood Sugar??

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Does Hep C mess with some peoples Blood Pressure and Blood Sugar?? I'm 27 years old.. Have Geno 1a.. For some reason my blood pressure is pretty high and i dont eat that much salt.. Has anyone notice their Blood pressure and Sugar fluctuate.. Everytime i go to the Doc my blood pressure is high.. Tonight i went to a local store to check it on one of those blood pressure testers and it was 166 over 108 heart rate 74.. What do you guys think i should do??
I think you should consider taking medication to control your blood pressure.  Pressure that high is dangerous and its usually a simple matter to control it with meds.  

While I never noticed any correlation between my Hep C (Geno 1a) and my hypertension, during treatment my BP dropped to the point that I was able to discontinue my blood pressure meds.  Now that I have completed treatment I am back on the BP meds, though in a lower dose than before.  The lower dose may be attributable to the fact that I lost weight on treatment - about 30 lbs.

Please talk to your doctor about controlling that pressure.  While it is high it can damage your blood vessels and kidneys, and probably other things that I can't think of just now.  Good luck.

jd
First I'd wipe the blood from your fore head and go see a Doctor. Thats flippin high!!!

Advanced liver disease will increase your blood pressure, and your liver stores sugars so yes to that to. How do you know your sugar levels?

Harry
Mom is a diabetic so i get to check my sugar levels once in awhile.. The one reason i found out that i was Hep C Pos was because my sugar would drop to 40.. 40 is kind of scary so i thought i was a diabetic or hyperglycemic and so i got some blood work done.. thats how i got the bad news.. The blood pressure is fine now.. Need to get one of those home kits..
I don't think that just hep c raises blood pressure. I must have had hepc for around 25 years and my blood pressure is usually low. 100 / 65  Years ago it even went as low as 70 / 40...

I would seriously see a doctor regarding high blood pressure like that.

Marcia
HCV can increase BP & Glucose. you have to get on meds for your BP. good luck
I am 30 and have had Hep C for 12-15 years. My blood pressure has always been low or normal (and high blood pressure runs in my family). My blood sugar, however, has been ridiculous. I have really annoying hypoglycemia and problems with candida because of it. I am a healthy eater, I exercise and I am not overweight. I also don't eat breads or pastas, so its not like I load up on carbs every day. I am hoping after treatment this will get better.
Although medication can be necessary, they are simple steps you can take to lower your blood pressure naturally:
1) Remove any salt from your diet. It's a bit frustrating at first but effective. You can bring it back later when the BP is under control.
2) Walk more
Long term: Loose weight.
I've read that people with Hep C are more at risk of becoming diabetic.
Good news is that a better diet & controlling weight & exercising more helps for both the heart (BP) and diabete risks