Does Hep C cause back pain
I have had some back pain since I became ill.  It is where my liver would be only in the back.  I know that the liver  itself has no pain receptors but I also have some pain in the area around my liver sometimes.  Has anyone else experienced this?   I just wondered if it was related to the Hep C.  Also is it dangerous to travel outside of the country with Hep C?  I ended my tx in Dec because I didnt respond.  My family thinks that I shouldnt go on a trip to Mexico or on a cruise to the Bahamas.  They think my immune system is too compromised.  I dont know.  I dont feel really good but if someone is buying me a trip, I hate to say no.
I just realized that my last post didnt come out exactly as planned.  My family is only worried because any time you go outside your own country, you can have problems with your immune system.  I certainly didnt mean any offense to the ppl of Mexico or the Bahamas.  I wouldnt be so anxious to go there if I didnt love it there,especially since I dont feel all that well.  Sorry about that.  
Have you already had your vaccinations against Hep A and Hep B?  My doc told me that if I was exposed to any one of those while I still have Hep C, it would really damage my liver.  

I have had Hep C 1b for 40 years and for most of those years have had severe muscle and bone pain.  However, now that I am on treatment, most of my pain has disappeared. I am still in treatment and am not healed as yet, but I sure notice a positive difference in the pain area.

As far as your immunity goes, it is working way overtime keeping the Hep C in check,, but whenever you go out in public you are exposed to all sorts of germs. We're a global world now and it appears that germs are not as localized at before, but are traveling around.  I personally wouldn't turn down a vacation if it is offered.  When  you begin treatment you may not feel like traveling and this will give you wonderful memories to  look back on.  

Just use your good sense, eat well, no alcohol, drugs, lots of sleep, and when the time is right for you, take treatment.

I wish you well on your road to good health.

jaz
I agree with jazzy. Your immune system should be as normal as possible by now since you stopped tx in December. Yes it is fighting the Hep c, but it has been doing that for years. Make sure you don't drink the water if you go out of the country because there can be some little critters in there that can make you really sick. Also make sure everything you eat is cooked all the way through.

Go for the cruise. Let them cater to you and enjoy life while you still can.

Have a great time!
Diane
Enjoy your life. You can't live in a bubble because of hepc, you deserve a good full life. If you have had your A and B shots I think you'd be just fine. Face it you could go out to dinner in the city you live and get hepa anyway..........just be reasonably careful and enjoy everything in life you can. If you didn't know you had hcv you'd go and be fine. I've gone several times and never knew I had the disease and nothing happened at all.  And those memories will last forever.
My husband usually experiences upper right Quadrant pain, caused by liver inflammation, in his back also.  The Dr. says this varies from person to person.  My husband has cirrhosis and hopefully you aren't dealing with that much damage, but the pain usually happens from some drug he takes that doesn't agree with his liver...such as antibiotics or the anti- nausea pills he was given while treating.  When he stops the offending medicine, the pain goes away for him.  
Best wishes,
Ev
I also have had back pains in the area of the liver and in front on the right side.  Dr told that the liver can react to different meds you take and some foods you eat causing more swelling. It is not actually the liver in pain as it has no pain receptors but the swelling can put pressure on other organs. Prior to treatment I tried to narrow it down to what I taking and determined it was mostly allergy meds like Zyrtec and Clairtin. I have not had any pains in the last 3 weeks. I took my 7th injection yesterday.

By the way. 49 years old, Hep C, need a feel good, free trip to Mexico. Unforgettable.
When do you leave?
Have you had your gallbladder checked out?  I had back pain from a gallbladder attack (referred pain).
Thanks for all of the answers everyone.  I thought that I might be having pain because of the swelling but I wanted a second opinion without calling my doctor again.  And I have had my gallbladder checked.  I had a problem with the cartilage between my ribs and sternum and was in a lot of pain.  So the doctor check for problems with my gallbladder at that time.  This is a mild to moderate pain and gets a little better and worse at times.  Thanks again for the help.
As for the back pain issue. I'm suffering more and more from it. Although it's a arthritic malady (I just had an MRI to substantiate that fact), I’m convinced Hep C has something to do with it, as I’ve read Hep C can increase joint pain. My back specialist (who has worse back pain than myself) has found a great improvement in decreasing the pain substantially by taking 8 grams daily of Triple Fish Oil (which is sold by GNC - General Nutrition Centers).

I will see my Hepatologist Dr. Robert Gish Thursday and will post what he says as to the possible effects on the liver. If there are no liver issues, I'm going to try it.  The back specialist swears by it and says it has greatly decreased his back pain. Stay tuned...

Magnum
I have had hep c for. 4 years but because my liver function is 3 times more than normal I can't have the treatment.today I have been told I can't take anymore pain killers or be given any cream for my back.ive had an ortopsey and many abdominal scans.
I know my back pain was caused and/or exacerbated by HCV... I finished treatment over a year ago and I have a lot less pain!  What a bonus!
I pray when my treatment is over I also will lose a lot of my chronic back pain as well as joints and inflammation. I am only into my first month of treatment. With 12 weeks of full treatment. I am taking the newest Hep c treatment called Epcsula I think that's spelled right.  I am in Canada so not sure if it's in the USA or not. But this pill helps with almost all the different things. Sorry I am new to Hep c treatment and my memory is horrible. But yes I wish I get success as You as well as less Back pain.
Your right upper quadrant pain could well be caused by inflammation of your liver exerting pressure on your Glisson's Capsule.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibrous_capsule_of_Glisson