Does Juicing Help
Anyone do juicing during treatment?
No absolutely not it will do nothing except you might enjoy a nice smoothie.

N-O-T-H-I-N-G to help cure hepc or heal your liver or anything. Positive about that fact.
Super disagree with you there , NY.  No, it won't cure your Hep C, or heal your liver.  But while you're on treatment, with your body being barraged by these drugs, high quality, organic veggie juices give you fantastic nutrition.   Especially when you're on the INC part of tx, and eating the 20grams of fat, I'm convinced that fresh veggie juice helped my husband immensely.  Just my opinion, of course!
I will ditto most of Stormy456 post. I juice fresh wheatgrass daily and this week have included one beet per day. Both are EXCELLENT blood cleansers and blood builders. I have juiced before hep c treatment with fabulous results. Started up again after starting treatment. UND at week 4 with a starting viral load of 7.7 million. Geno type 1B on triple riba, peg, and INC Starting week 7 today and will have my 6 week blood work report today. I am not expecting my juicing to cure my hep c. I am leaving that to horrid drugs that I am taking. I am quite sure that the juicing is going to keep my blood numbers stronger for me than it would have been without the juicing. Stated is my opinion only. Storm's husbands blog has been the utmost inspiration to me. Best wishes and your successful and gentle as possible treatment.
Good luck I hope unlike everyone else who has tried it you have found the magic serum and can avoid any blood changes :)
You need your body to be in the best possible shape, so it can work in tandem with the tx. Of course eating better will help with that. I am totally shocked that something thinks it couldn't help. But, I will be the first to admit that I don't kno what the aforementioned "blood changes" are, so maybe there is some sort of issue with SPECIFIC juices (like grapefruit) and SPECIFIC medications. But juicing in general should be fine.

It is more difficult for our liver to process raw foods, so eating cooked foods is best. But, juice is helpful as it is already partially broken down. It is also easy to eat when you're nausous. Just make sure that it is room temp. - the liver also had a harder time processing both hot and cold drinks.
I have to agree with you about juicing.  I will continue and do believe
it does help too.  It sure can't hurt you ;).
Drinking fresh juice at room temp is the most tasty and easiest to drink.
I bought a juicer before starting treatment.  I have to say.... its a great way
to get good stuff into your body during a not so great time.  If you haven't seen the video "sick fat and almost dead" you can see it on netflex. The juicer they use in this video is available at Bed Bath and Beyond.  Get there
20 per cent coupon for a really good deal on a juicer.  After seeing the video
I went right out and bought the juicer.  Very glad I did.  
And.........FYI...  I don't work for these companies or a promoter.  Check
it out.  I think it can help.... I don't see it hurting.  Besides it taste way better
than I ever thought vegs could taste.
.
. Anyone do juicing during treatment?
-------------------------------------
I didn't  ..and that seemed to be your only question ,so hopfully that helps

2mlbb & mythoughts:
It would make sense that fresh juices are healthy for anyone to consume,whether with liver disease or treating for such,however there is  "no"  documented evidence that the drug-induced "hemolytic anemia " or bone marrow suppression of blood cells caused by the medications will in any way be altered by any foods or supplements.

These meds most often cause red blood cells to be destroyed before their natural maturity and  the double whammy of suppressing the marrow from producing new ones fast enough to keep pace..hence falling blood numbers and  unfortunately there is no juice that can keep that from happening.

However always good to eat and drink healthy ,,especially while treating..
Best of luck..
Will .

You are most correct on what you write. Am just pulling out all of the big guns. They can't hurt which is what my hep c pharmacist told me. Unlike grapefruit juice, wheatgrass or beet juice does not react with my meds. Thank you for your input!
I notice a big difference in my fatigue on days I juice and days I don't.  I also see a big difference with the amount of water I drink and the sleep I get.  

Your thoughts are my thoughts.  Take care :)
I have a juicer, I make juice out of all kinds of things and drink it. I know it's healthy because I know what goes into it. Good nutrition is always helpful.

One thing I started doing during tx, was making ginger juice from fresh ginger root. Its very strong. I save it in the fridge, then add a little  into other juices, or use it for tea, or making oatmeal, etc. Ginger is good for the stomach and helps with nausea.
So very true...I have small jars of dried ginger all around  in case of my light nausea. It works beautifully for me so far. I bought a 5 pound bag of it off of Amazon before I started treatment.
I didn`t juice either on tx mainly because juicing can add a lot of sugar (fructose) .
I have to admit, I am too lazy to juice for myself, so I do waste alot of money on the store bought juice, and they do use plastic containers, but I try to get the freshest juice, I have been using a new company called "evolution" for the beet, veggie, ginger juice.
    Then I eat alot of warm cooked foods also. The more veggies, the healthier I feel. I do watch my sugar on these meds also, and try to cut down on my white bread type of foods, which make me feel tired, and weak.
   I just added Kombucha tea to Kefir, I get imaginative...I try to make my treatment kinda fun, enjoying pampering myself, feeling good about it too : )
"I didn`t juice either on tx mainly because juicing can add a lot of sugar (fructose) ."

Exactly!
'Anyone do juicing during treatment?'
I recommend 100% organic fresh squeezed prune juice and the placebo of your choice. It will keep you regular and you will think you are doing better than you would if you hadn't taken it.
Just my opinion of course.   ;-)

hector
(And I believe in the Easter bunny too 'cause he's so darn cute).
  Dont joke,  at my age being regular is a beautiful thing....lol
When I started taking these meds, I wanted maximum absorption, so I refrained from eating fiber around the time I took my Boceprevir and Ribavirin, so it wouldn't get "sent thru" before being absorbed.

Exactly
It's kind of a vague question. Does it help with what?  Obviously It does not kill the virus. Does it make you feel better while on tx?  Hmmmm those a pretty powerful chemicals, not sure much can stand in their way.

Does it help you feel better in when not treating? I'm sure it beats McDonalds.
Also would love love love to see the study that concluded, "juicing helps maintain red blood cells while in three toxic drugs".
If this were a nutrition forum per se or you googled "the positive effect of juicing" I'm sure you would find plenty of benefits reported: some proven, some anecdotal. And sticking to your question per se I would reply you need to discriminate about what you are juicing, e.g., carrots might be problematic beyond a certain quantity, are any ingredients competitive with your medications biological availability, etc.....You will probably find very few if any references to juicing and it's particulars available.....Now looking at the gestalt of it (HCV and juicing). when I was stage #1 around 20 years ago I worked with a nutritional Olympian that had me juicing, juicing, juicing...And today I have cirrhosis! In my case these ginger saturated juices didn't stop the HCV from picnicking away on my liver..........p.s. Full disclosure: I'm 9 into 11 months of triple tx and undetectable since week 2. d
I wouldn't recommend juicing with raw spinach though.  I believe raw spinach is hard on the liver.
If juicing were the answer doctors would start us juicing on day one. No more anemia! No more Procrit or Neupogen! Healthy strong non-lethargic bodies on treatment!

Obviously being healthy is important but as yodennis mentions, carrots in large quanity could not be good as we need to not add extra vitamin K...so make sure you know exactly what you are doing.

Smoothies with ginger to help your stomach though sure does sound good.

My meds cost approx. $18,000.00 per month, not my out of pocket. If doctors promoted juicing from day one, I am quite sure the drug companies would not be supporting that decision. My juicing is done as a nutritional supplement, not as my cure. For me, I juice beets and wheatgrass. Just my humble choice of what goes in me with all of these nasty drugs that will be what cures me.
Highly disagree again, NY.  Yes, there are doctors who are aware of the role of nutrition during treatment, but many more do not.  From my experience, they are more apt to prescribe more pharmaceuticals than recommend that patients consider what they put into their bodies.  I am not anti-pharmaceuticals, and am extremely grateful that these meds exist to hopefully, finally kill this virus.  But when it comes to nutrition, I can safely say that I am more knowledgeable than our treating MD.  And I know that on days my husband juiced, he felt much better.  I also know that he has not become anemic at any point during his tx (5 days left to go,) and I believe that nutrition and dumb luck played a role.  Purely anecdotal, but it works for us.  
I guess my question would be:

Does juicing help 'what' during treatment?

"Anyone do juicing during treatment? "
----------------------------------------------------------

To respond to your one andf only original question: I squeeze fresh orange juice every morning. I no longer have a juicer so I don't make the other juices anymore.

I am not sure how this thread got off on a tangent of whether juicing cures Hep C. You never asked that question and you never suggested that juice does cure Hep C. I also don't think you or anyone else on this forum thinks juice cures Hep C.

Of course, we all know juicing does not cure Hep C, but I agree with those who feel a good, healthy diet of fresh, organic (if possible) fruits and vegetable (and an otherwise healthy diet) is generally good for the body and especially when the body is stressed by being barraged by toxic meds.

Just my opinion.
I thought it was funny. but seriesly I eat terrible and font like most vegetable so I try to drink a V8 every day. I seem to be in a better mood if I do.  
Not sure about orange juice, but what ever you do, DONT do what I did, a few days ago. I started chewing a bunch of chewable vitamin c tablets (ascorbic acid) and they tasted yummy, and I was sitting here typing, so I chewed some more, and some more..and then....the next day I got my very first mouth sore, so I think that kind of acid does eat thru the skin...doh
   The problem with me, and my "natural remedies" is that I tend to over-do stuff sometimes...I replaced my drug addiction with Health Food addiction. In fact, I was doing the gluten free thing, at least 15 yrs ago, and boy was that expensive!!  I was positive, after reading "The Yeast Connection", that I had been infiltrated with mold and mildew!
    I always try to remind myself about all things, "moderation is the key"
I think after all the quacks who've shown up here over the years claiming odd things would cure you of hep C, nygirl may have assumed that is what the poster meant.
I'm so out of touch with current lingo, I just thought the poster meant making juice.

Of course Hector was being humorous. I thought it was funny but I could see how it could be taken offensively.
                 ********************************
I found this from the mayo clinic:

Is juicing healthier than eating whole fruits or vegetables?
from Jennifer K. Nelson, R.D., L.D.

Juicing probably is not any healthier than eating whole fruits and vegetables. Juicing extracts the juice from fresh fruits or vegetables. The resulting liquid contains most of the vitamins, minerals and plant chemicals (phytonutrients) found in the whole fruit. However, whole fruits and vegetables also have healthy fiber, which is lost during most juicing.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/juicing/AN02107
ditto
Wow now it's a conspiracy, the drug companies don't want you to juice.  We all support each other especially those going through tx, but there is a difference between supporting people and allowing BS to fly.

A) Juicing doesn't cure HCV
B) Juicing done not improve anemia caused by HCV tx.

Doctor doctor my hgb is 8.2 what do I do? Here drink some of this juice....really?  

Please provide clinical studies when making these outlandish claims, because people deserve to know the facts about HCV and the tx of.  Not ridiculous claims about ginger root and kale.
What specific instances in this forum should doctors have suggested changes in diet, instead of prescribing drugs to treat HCV.  Don't bag on the docs and the companies that save our lives.
Taking this off-line.  Will PM you.
"Juicing probably is not any healthier than eating whole fruits and vegetables. "
I think so too.
Also when you extract juice you end up throwing away valuable fiber and
get a drink that is usually high in sugar (fructose) which can cause an
imbalance in your glucose level.Not great on tx.Some people
with liver damage can be  IR or diabetic or develope it on tx .
You also loose the qualities of chewing and predigesting or preparing the food properly for the stomach by combining it with saliva for better absorption.
Often when juicing it is reccomended to dilute the juice with water and
sip it very slowly because it is to concentrated to hit the stomach all at
once.
You are better of eating fresh green veggies (without cooking them to death) and salads daily and have a piece of fruit when you crave something sweet.
I read somewhere natural fruit is like natures "candy"

Just my two cents....
Do you have HCV?
Are you suggesting one stay away from raw spinach, spin salads......sauteed spin?
A few points:

People think spinach is bad b/c is has a large amount of iron. But, unless you eat a large portion every single day, you are fine. Also, women are men need different amount of iron, b/c women shed monthly. We all do still need iron, so eating spinach once and a while is fine. Also, you do not get any of the iron unless you cook it, so raw is totally fine - unless there is another concern other than iron.

Clearly,  Cheppie didn't tthink juicing would cure HCV, b/c Cheppie is already treating! She/he wanted to know if it would help during tx. Of course making sure that your body is at it's best will assist in aiding the medications you take that will cure HCV.

Also, though whole fruit/veggies are better is some ways, many people who have an upset stomach can't handle whole foods. AND, as I already mentioned it is more difficult for the liver to process whole foods, so cooked foods and juice are easiest on it.

Also, regarding sugar - all diabetic sites will tell you that though fruit has sugar, it is more healthy to eat fruit when diabetic than not, b/c the fiber content from plant foods actually assists your natural insullin processes. Tropical fruits have a much higher sugar content (like banans, mangos, etc...) so when choosing fruit, keep that in mind. You also have to consider what you would replace that cup of juice with - it often has more sugar or carbs that will convert into sugar than the juice does.  Of course, we are talking about juiced juices and not store bought juices. Also, juices are a great way to add other things you do need to assist with liver health and/or tx related nausea - such as flax meal, ginger, yogurt for digestional health, protien powder (the liver needs the correct amount to regenerate, though it cannot be animal based. Too much protien can hurt the liver, so stay at the recommended levels).
No.  I didn't know I had to have HCV to post here, duly noted.  
I agree, Cheppie is new to Treatment, and asking those who are already treating (and those who plan to treat) what their personal experience has been, on how juicing is effecting their over-all health.
   Health foods are finally becoming more "main-stream", not an old-fashioned notion that only "the hippies" engage in.
   We are not trying to have a war between Western Medicine and Eastern (or Ayurvedic) Medicine. There are many times when it is perfectly appropriate to combine the two, as long as we run it buy our Hepa Treatment Doctor before taking it.

yes juicing, I have been juicing several months while on treatment.  It seems to make it easier on the liver plus soo many things that will cleanse and help our liver to heal.  I still take my vitamins and a few supps with the pharmacist ok
md's are not trained at all in nutrition or natural supplements.  I am fortunate to have a md and an ND where i get both aspects of it.  the md who want to treat with only drugs, and the ND  who wants to prevent and eliminate with nutrition and supplements.  I was told that cancer and most other viruses and diseases are actually because we are nutrient deficienct and cannot fight them off.
For example most people with cancers are deficient of vits, especially selenium and c.  Not enough research out there.  I do cling to a scripture in the bible Ezekiel 47 where he talks about the fruit for our food and the leaves for our healing,
you are adding comments to a 3 year old thread if you would like to ask a new question or start a new discussion go to the top right of the page and select the green ask a question link so people will see your question otherwise you are kind of talking to yourself
I do think juicing is a very good thing.   I make popsicles with the juice in the summer.  I believe juice helps cleanse the liver.   After almost three years post Hepatitis C treatment I believe eating healthy, getting good rest and
drinking lots of fluid that's good for you has paid off.   My body can feel my liver has improved.   Living the proof.  

Yes, juicing does help.   I make a juice for my hubby of kale, spinach, cucumbers, celery, then add a few other ingredients, but for sure red peeled beets.   I have to tell you that his eyes which have been yellow for 10 years cleared to white. This was BEFORE the Harvoni treatment. Don't let anyone tell you that juicing does not work. I and my hubby are living proof that it does.