Hepatitis C Community
Does Viral Load have anything to do with transmission rate?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I have read conflicting things
This has nothing to do with viral loads, it has to do with anxiety.
So, you add a new worries to express the same worry.

Please, see a doctor.
Hi RR: I believe a higher viral load does effect transmission rate, but I can't recall where I read that. It seems logical to me that a higher concentration of virus is easier for someone else to acquire. Keep in mind that HCV is transmitted blood-to-blood so if that scenario can be avoided the viral load shouldn't make a difference. Regards, GB
Thanks!  I am just freaking out because last week I think my 2 yr old son cut his foot on my razor.  He was taking a bath and I stepped out for a few mins and came back in and my razor was in the tub.  I thought I put it up high enough that he couldn't reach it (we have shelves on the back of the tub).  I am not certain as I never saw any blood and never noticed anything until later in the day when I actually looked him over, specifically the foot I found the razor near.  He could have scraped it on something outside after his bath.  My friend said her kid cut herself with a razor and it was a blood bath since toddler take no care and have no idea what they are doing.  I have posted on many sights including here and everyone says chances are low he will contract HCV.  It had been about 40 hrs since I last used the razor and I believe I knicked myself (because I usually do).  I am just scared and would feel horrible since we dodged the bullet of him catching it through birth.  Also, my VL was 724,000 the end of Feb.  So I am just hoping the odds are in my favor.

Any thoughts would be great!
You already got your answers yesterday.
There is no need to repeat your question.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-C/Help-son-cut-himself-with-my-razor/show/1699756#post_7780119
Girl! you are going to drive yourself right into the mental ward.  Stop, call the doc and follow his suggestions.
No, I really didn't.  Nothing was ever mentioned about viral load and transmission!  I have often wondered that before anyway.
If I could talk to a doctor maybe I could calm down!!  I put a call into the doctor the day it happened and still nothing!!  I called again today and the receptionists said they passed along the message.  We are on a military base and the quality of care *****!!!  I just scheduled an appt. for Friday (soonest I could).

Please, see a doctor.
You are driving your self crazy over nothing. He is infected or not and knowing now, or next month or in 6 months will make no difference to his health.

Your anxiety is not good for you child. They pick up on how we feel.
Go do some deep breathing exercises, take a long walk, a hot bath, whatever it takes to calm down.

And please stop posting your anxieties here.
Your question has been answered.
It,s difficult but you have to try and calm down.  The risk are very low..... Go to a zumba class or something. Get your mind off it.
Like I said, maybe if I could talk to a doctor I would calm down.  I will just have to wait until Friday!  Don't worry, I will keep my thoughts to myself!
You do not have to keep your thoughts to your self . We understand the worry . Everyone here has tried to reasure you that the risk are low.  I shared my husband razor for 15 years before I knew I had hep c . He did not get it from me. That is one thing I worried about. He hated me using his razor but I did it any way. I THOUGHT O GODi gave it to him by using his Razor. 15 year of using the same razor and he did not get Hepc.
You guys are right!  I am just border line depressed too!  I'm living in a new area, I'm a stay at home mom I don't have any friends.  So my whole life revolves around the house and my son!  Everyday is like groundhog day!  
RR I'm so sorry you have to feel like that; feeling isolated is horrible.  Is there a park near by, or even McDonalds with a play ground? Unisolating yourself can be  its own therapy, walking small distances with toddle can be so much fun. They have fun wherever they go, and so will you just being in a different enviorment for a little bit at a time. Be safe
Thanks Jewls!  We do go to playgroup twice a week.  Maybe I should do a bit more.  Anxiety is a B$&#%!!
Welcome, thinking if you have a McD's, there probably is a library off base.Sometime they have programs for preschoolers. Just something else to do and not costly for entertainment. Just a thought :)
Hi RR: Are their horse sables on base? I always experience peace and serenity around the horses. Is your husband away fighting the war? Do you have a car? Driver's license? Are you new to base living? Cheers, GB
Sentinel:

Not sure about stables.  No, my husband works on base so at least at night I have him around.  Yes, I have a car and license.  Yes, I am new to base living.  I am not on the base but still don't like it.  My husband's career in the Army is a recruiter so in the past we have lived no where near a base, thus having regular doctors and he had a lot more interaction with the people in his office of 8-10.  Therefore, I met spouses and I usually work full-time.  Well, since we have my son and I want to start tx I am opting not to get a job and just stick out the next year at this location.  Here, he is an instructor so he really doesn't spend much time with his colleagues because they are always teaching.  
Hi RR: When you wrote that you were on a military base I assumed you were living on base. I'm retired Air Force. I think you'll discover significant benefits to your situation as you go through treatment. We can dialog about this via the message function on MedHelp. Send me a message if you're interested. Cheers, GB
Thanks, just sent you a message!