Does long term treatment have a positive liver impact despite non SVR
So say someone does treatment, and I am talking long term such as what I am currently doing.  In my case 48 weeks and I have been UND since week 4.
Lets say there is a relapse at EOT.  Has the close to one year without the virus attacking the liver allowed any opportunity for recovery of sorts?  Obviously during that time the liver is not being attacked... but does it recover in any way?
Clearly with the return of the virus it is back to business as far as ongoing damage is concerned.
This is how my doctor put it. If one relapses after treatment then of course you were never truly UND during treatment. Another thing is that since it takes a number of years to do a lot of damage to ones liver not a lot will be recovered in just one year.. Although at least during this time your liver is not under attack from the virus. Because your liver is not under attack the healing process has begun and depending on the extent of damage one has prior to treatment the liver can and will heal itself. If one does not have cirrhosis the liver will heal to the point that it will not be of any concern and further tests will not need to be done again. Hope this helps and makes sense.
Good Morning.  Can-do-man gave you great advice.  Four weeks UND is very good.  When I relapsed after a 48 week tx my doctor did say my liver had been given a break from the virus.
I could tell a difference from week 4 at the beginning of tx because the bleeding under the skin from cyroglobunemia stopped while I was treating.  This led me to believe something good was happening.  Unfortunately I relapsed 4 to 6  weeks after stopping the tx and could tell by the all over rash.  It was like an early warning alarm system for me.
I hope that you are UND at the end of your tx.
How are you feeling?
Take care, Dee
A recent retrospective study looked at people who treated and had an SVR, people who treated and didn't clear and those who never treated. Mortality rates were very low in SVR patients and much higher in those who never treated. Those who did great and didn't clear fell somewhere in the middle. So we can surmise that just treating is helpful. And, even many cirrhotics who clear can get much healing over time and go back to a near perfect liver.
Thanks guys.  It is about what I expected.
As far as how I am feeling Dee, well, not too bad, my Hb has not dropped too low so anemia is reasonably mild.  A number of sx but mainly weakness and an inability to undertake activity that involves the use of much effort.  I feel smashed after a couple of minutes of activity. Before treatment I was cycling nearly 200 miles per week and was super fit. Can't believe how much fitness I have lost in 27 weeks.