Hepatitis C Community
Donate drugs?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Donate drugs?

My husband is off therapy and we have 3 months supply of interferon, ribaviron, several vials of procrit as well as one month of incevik.  We would like to donate them if legal.
Talk to your doctor.
However an awesome gesture I think it is illegal and you could get into some trouble.  I know there is someone that would love that donation.  Just dont know how you could do it.
That's very considerate and thoughtful of you to think of others' in their time of need.  Someone should chime in real soon. I know there's a couple different agencies that accept them but it's a tricky situation.  Whatever you do, don't throw them out.  
First, I am sorry your husband is off therapy. I hope things work out for him.

I think some agency or clinic could use them if they are unopened. (They won't use any Riba if the Riba bottle is open.)

They legaly cannot use opened meds that belonged to someone else, but also they ethically should not use them because they do not know if they are the original drugs or a substitute (and I am not saying they are substitutes, just that the agency /clinic cannot take a chance).  

The agency or clinic would need to have a pharmacist because only a pharmacist can repackage and label the medication and give it to the next recipient. Doctors and nurses cannot legaly package and label meds. (They do it sometimes but legally they cannot.)

Hopefully someone who knows what can be done with these perfectly usable and expensive meds will respond.
I would guess your doctor would love to have them, i know mine did. A very good way to help somebody out.........

Best,
cando
My nurse said they'd take any of my extras including extra riba.
You can check with hospitals and clinics.
There's a free clinic here I'm going to offer my extras too first.

I've got two extra neupogen shots.

Once upon a time, I need neupogen immediately. Some kind soul from this forum helped me out. So, maybe someone in need will show up.
Check with your husband's doc and/or nurse.  They tend to have extra on hand for those who, like me, got my meds late.  And if they can't use them, at least they can dispose of them according to protocols.
Please see my private message to you. dennis
You bring up a great topic.  I feel certain that I will have extra riba when I am finished.  My doc said that there was nothing I could do with it since its purity could no longer be guaranteed.  When people need these drugs and can't afford them and insurance companies refuse to cover the expense, it seems insane to throw them away.  If you figure out an answer, please let me know.
CVS Caremark sent me a 4 week supply of Vic that I won't need and didn't order.  They can't take it back but my doctor is taking it to use for some patients who have no or poor insurance.  The Vic has a relatively short shelf life (July) so hopefully someone will be able to use it.
That's what we have done before in the past with unopened unused Hep C meds, give it to the doctor.  
Advocate1955