Hepatitis C Community
Dr Bennett Cecil

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Dr Bennett Cecil

Hi I have Hep C Geno type 1 with cirossis I live in South jersey and we have louSY GASTRO DOCTORS HERE WHO GIVE UP EASY AND SEND YOU HOME WITH NO TREATMENT AVAILABLE IF THE INTERFERON DOESN'T WORK!  I was told fri I MIGHT get a experimental drug and would have a call by mon. today I called and was told only 3 patients who didn't respond to Pegatron will get treatment with the drug! 3  PEOPLE!!? I started to cry just as I cried in the doctor's office Fri. When I read about DrCecil I am determined to go see him I need his e-mail, I have the address as1009 A Dupont Square N in Louisville Ky a long way (over 700 miles) from Atlantic City NJ but I am deperate to live Can someone give me his e-mail PLEASE? I am far from rich on Medicade and was told by his nurse when i called he only takes kentucky medicade. i will beg borrow whatever it takes. please help me...

You just need to google his name...this is his e-mail.  Good Luck

***@****
http://www.hepatitisdoctor.com/
hey miss, i also live in NJ and see a great doctor right outside of AC. I will send you privite message
hey im also in south jersey, my gi/hep dr's are great, they are part of Jefferson hospital in philly ... send me a pm if you want ... i dont think you need to go to kentucky...
Dr Cecil uses interferon and ribavirin just the same as anyone else.
He has no secret weapon that other doctors don't have, so don't build him up into  something he is not.
Follow up on the recommendation above.
ya thank you for that post i was wondering what the deal about this dr. cecil was, if he had some magic pill or what hahaha

miss604 said SEND YOU HOME WITH NO TREATMENT AVAILABLE IF THE INTERFERON DOESN'T WORK... unfortunately, interferon IS the only tx available and if its not working its not working... but getting on one of the new trials would be possible, miss604 should try the clinicaltrials site or go into the city and out of south jersey the first g.i. i saw in south jersey was a complete idiot ... and a jerk to boot, real nice attitude like oh well this is what happens to junkies too bad for you
You have some of the best Hep C doctors in the world a lot closer than Kentucky. You might start with Dr. Douglas Dieterich in NYC who runs our "Expert" Forum. Dr.Cecil does have a following however his treatment approach is controversial as he doesn't start out with a full dose of interferon (at least he didn't a couple of years ago). This goes against the hit-it-hard-and-fast approach recognized by most leading hepatologists in the hope of reaching UND as soon as possible.

Contact info for Dr. Dieterich:
http://www.mountsinai.org/Find%20A%20Doctor/profile.do?id=0000072500001497131492
I'm so sorry for you.  I hope you find some peace of mind and a better doctor.
Good Luck to you.
Dr. Cecil uses standard medications but in off-label ways.

By that I mean he will administer higher than label recommended dosages of Interferon; if you're on Pegasys and not responding he may switch you to PegIntron (or vice versa).

He's very aggressive at treating hard to treat patients.

I opted to enroll in the Vertex Prove 3 trial instead but strongly considered and admired how he treats patients.

You may want to look into a trip to KY.

miked
I'm in the same boat as you. The three people is the same they told me when they start in Los Angeles this month, but the amount of people will increase steadily. Have patience. Have faith. I have a friend who's had Cirrhosis for 13 years and still works. It's not a death sentence.

I was also told by my Hepatologist that a new, even more powerful Protease Inhibitor is coming out in 2010 for clinical trials. Ask your doctor if you can afford to wait. That is, when you find a good doctor. Good luck and keep fighting...

Magnum
My husband sees Dr. Cecil, and was treated with Pegysus and Ribavirin.  He cannot tolerate Ribavirin -- two transfusions later, and doubling up on Procrit.  He's a good doctor and answers all questions.  He told us last visit that there is no other medication choices until 2012.

I don't know why you think he has a magic tx protocol.  If he does, I wish he'd tell us about it.  I wish you the best!
I treated in '96 i believe.....before riba and when 3 million units interferon was a huge amount.....my trial was 5 million units interferon every other day and riba daily.....that clinical trial probably saved my life at that time............go for a trial with the protease inhibitors if thats what you want......................................
By the way just so you understand the most promising drugs that are in trial are add-on drugs, they DO use interferon and ribavirin as it is the only cure available today.

Please follow up with the doctors recommended to you in PM - there are no magic pills around yet unfortunately but they can give you different dosages and harder hitting is better, especially if you have already failed.

Good luck.
Saw Dr. Cecil today and he said he has seen patients from Japan and American Samoa.  He said he has an email address on his webpage.  Just google his name -- Bennet Cecil if you're still interested in seeking his treatment.

Hey its going to be ok but first get rid of that doctor ! I also live in northern jersey and see a dr called groisser in motclair he is recognized as #1 in the state he also works with hoffman laroche for testing and free meds give a call good luck and god bless ! 9737465166