Hepatitis C Community
Dr.Norman Gitlen

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Dr.Norman Gitlen

my husband was just diagnosed with Hep C, Dr.Gitlin just called us regarding a trial, has anybody heard of him. I'm in the Atlanta area.
We are also newbies , thx

Gator
sorry I haven't heard of him but just wondering why your husband needs to do a trial? There are two new drugs coming out soon that may help your husband more then the trial drug? They are called Telaprevir & Boceprevir.
If you read through the old posts you can get a lot of information about these new drugs and other things that will help with Hepatitis C.
Best of luck
is it Gitlen or Gitl*i*n ... if it's Gitlin, then a search reveals over 8,000 hits. Should be enough to cobble together his background at least.
I found this information on an old thread from 2006, it sounds like he is the same person you are inquiring about:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-C/A-Word-To-The-Wise/show/95090

"As for Dr. Gitlin, I know I am in good hands now. See below his credentials.
Thanks for the comments and link.

Norman Gitlin, M.D.
Fellow, American College of Physicians
Fellow, American College of Gastroenterology
Fellow, Royal College of Physicians - Edinburgh
Fellow, Royal College of Physicians - London
Dr. Gitlin received his bachelors and medical degrees from the University of Cape Town and continued his medical studies in both London and Edinburgh. While studying in England, Dr. Gitlin was a student of world-renowned hepatologist Dame Professor Sheila Sherlock. After arriving in the United States in 1983, he held appointments at the University of California in San Francisco for six years. He was named chief of hepatology and professor of medicine at Emory University School of Medicine in 1993. Dr. Gitlin joined Atlanta Gastroenterology Associates as a hepatology consultant in 1999.

Dr. Gitlin has authored two textbooks on liver disease and written 75 original papers on the subject. He is the editor of "Clinics In Liver Disease of North America," and serves on the editorial boards of several national journals and medical societies. He is actively involved in a number of research studies, including the treatment of hepatitis C and B and non-alcoholic steatohepatitis.

He is a member of the American Association of the Study of the Liver, the American College of Gastroenterology, the American Federation for Clinical Research, the American Gastroenterology Association, the American Medical Association, the British Medical Association, the Georgia Medical Association and the Georgia Gastroenterology Society.

Dr. Gitlin specializes in liver diseases, including transplantation and is an authority on drug-induced liver disease and herbal/traditional therapies used in the treatment of liver disease. He sees patients at the Emory Crawford Long. "
I think that Gator is trying maybe to get into a trial because he  doesnt have insurance.I know there have been some people that have used Dr.Gitlin here in Atlanta I just cant remember who it was...Bill1954 where are you??????