Hepatitis C Community
Election Day-support those who support us

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I posted the other day about going to a fundraiser for Ellen Tauscher congresswoman in CA and others. Ellen is a friend of ours. She married us last year. I spoke with her about Hep C and told her I was on tx. She definately is supportive of us. She told me that Bush is cutting NIH. She is very involved in Vets issues as well.

Ellen spoke about how Bush is pushing the adgenda on a constitutional ban on Gay marriage and flag burning, a smoke screen to win back his base supporters and continue his raiding of our economy.

This is the most important election in a lifetime she says. In order to win back the house of congress and get some important issues back on the table. There are 15 seats nationwide out of 55 candidates that we need to win this fight. We can't continue to have our health care eroded and homeland security cut like it has been. This election is projected to have a very low turnout.

Redistricting is a big issue. Some of the important states are Montana, CA (San Diego), RI, TN and AZ. Please get out and vote today, we need to protect the sacrifices of our fallen and keep NIH (national institue of health) fully funded among other things.

I would like to hand her a stack of letters from us, or each of you about your thoughts, or if you have a better idea on what we can do to raise awareness about Hep C. I think it is important. Since I know her and her staff, perhaps I can help give her our messages. The more the better. Any ideas?

Get out and vote today, we need to take our power back and get the message to our congress, educating them as to what we are
and what support we need from congress. See thread Only one oar on this boat...C29. You can send me what you like. Maybe we can talk about what would be a good way to do this on this thread too.

I meant to get this out sooner but I have been sleeping over 16hrs a day. Last week I couldn't sleep, had that neulasta shot Thursday and I can't get enough sleep! I felt lousy for a few days, not bad now, but sleeping w/o my sonata!

VOTE TODAY
Hey, thanks for a very important message to get out there! I was just getting ready to go to my polling place, I'll keep your friend in mind....Yes, these elections are very, very important and since we live in a country where more people vote for the finalists on American Idol than vote in political elections...

I think it's very important that we talk each other into performing one of the most important things we can do as citizens, and that so many take for granted, voting....Sorry if I sound too earnest...

While I'm on the subject of important issues...please go see the documentary "An Incovenient Truth" by Al Gore....whatever your political leanings....this is a very important movie to see for everyone.....I hope they can put it on national TV or PBS or something, it's THAT important....

And it isn't the least bit boring or tedious either....as you would think...it's very compelling, exciting and fast moving, and informative...the you won't believe some of the footage it has....even I could understand most of the scientific principles, etc. and that's saying something! ha ha...well, that's my two cents...Hope everyone is having a better week!
One of the things I have enjoyed about this forum is that for the most part it's apolitical.  I feel that politics are too divisive and controversial to be part of a board that focuses on unity and support. In spite of all the uncertainty and fear that fill these posts there is an overriding feeling of care, respect and camaraderie that somehow makes it a nice place to visit.  Having said that, I just want to agree with what has been said here today. I am fifty-two and I have never been ashamed of my country before now.  I served proudly in the United States Marine Corps and I am proud of that affiliation of tradition, pride and loyalty.  That's been sullied by an ignorant, short-sighted, profiteering, dishonest, hyprocritical buffoon who, using his father's influence has stolen the elections twice.  Once in Florida and once in Ohio. If I have offended anyone please believe me I mean nothing personal by this and I respect anyone who has a strong opinion that does not follow mine. But, we live in a time when the government keeps track of our phone conversations, the NSA listens to our cell phone conversations and our civil rights have been eroded through something ironically called, The Patriot Act. I don't know if this country can ever come back from this but I would like to think it can.  I hope you all are doing well today.
In Peace
Dog_Lover
Leave that liberal jibberish in the gutter where it belongs. This forum is not a place for politics, leave it at that..
I apologise, I tried to explain that I too agree with you, this is not a political forum. I was merely adding support to an earlier post. Your referring to my position as gibberish simply makes my point, it's not a place for politics.  I hope you are well and I wish you peace.  No more politics.
Dog_Lover
Snookmeister makes a good point.  Aside from some vitriol I recall from a couple of weeks ago this is the first time I have seen a post that upset someone and I don't want to be responsible for that.  Perhaps you would supply the URL for your friends and we could help them directly if we were so inclined and in the future we could try to keep this place a little more comfortable for all the users?  I respect your passion and am thankful that you are watching out for us.
Peace
Dog_lover
Thank you. I'm glad someone jumped on that quickly.
<i>we live in a country where more people vote for the finalists on American Idol than vote in political elections...</i>

Brilliant! Turn the elections into a seasonal series where a candidate gets eliminated every couple weeks based on ballots mailed in by the viewing voters. Ohhh never mind.... no room for major finacial influence... scratch it <small>(and forget the idea too) </small>
Everything is politics. I am concerned about the lack of support and education there is for Hep C. Having funds cut to the NIH hurts us.

All of us are afflicted by this terrible virus and I for one would like to help educate the politicians and public as to what is going on in this country.

Nothing happened with HIV until people started getting involved in awareness and education. This is politics. Vote for who you want, but think about the future and how we can make a difference for those millions of people who are NOT treating or don't even know they have Hep C.

You can send a letter to your own congressperson, or you can send it to me (above).  Because I know a congresswoman I thought it would be good for US to talk about this issue (even in our different ways) so it possibly will reach others who need it.
Don't think I was being partisan, just thought it would be good for people to go vote, as it effects our disease and just about everything else...
Come on you guys . You know that this forum can not be used to further someone political ambitions , regardless of if you think that person is sympathic to our cause. It's a time bomb and its going to blow up. Whether or not your opinions are partisan or not , someone is going to disagree with you . Please...
dont do it here. We dont all live in California and we dont all want to here  what this person thinks about our president.
once again, my biggest point was to go out and vote...whatever your political leanings are...

though I gotta say, it doesn't surprise me "a whole lot" that good ole Spacey is right wing, though perhaps I shouldn't point this out, he he he...my bad

End of subject for me, just meant to say, again, go out and vote..if you don't care to, that's fine too...I also prob don't need to point out that this isn't the first post which was slightly off topic from hepatitis on this board...and they get through without a lot of fuss for the most part....
I am not recommending you vote for anyone either. My friend Ellen is not even running in this election. I too thin k it is good to vote period.  

Once again, I would like to see us come out for supporting the agenda of Hep C. Not electing anyone specific. As I said, send your own congressperson, or someone who will support us in Congress, a letter about how bad Hep C is and how many people need a spokesperson and education about this virus. I think we could all agree on this...I could be wrong.
Haven't seen you in a while.  How you feeling?
Really , so.. which part was this?

"Ellen spoke about how Bush is pushing the adgenda on a constitutional ban on Gay marriage and flag burning, a smoke screen to win back his base supporters and continue his raiding of our economy"
Hmmm.

On June 7, 2006 the fate of hepatitis C prevention funding for 2007 will be decided by the U.S. House Appropriations Labor-HHS-Education Subcommittee. We need your help!

Your Representative needs to hear from YOU that hepatitis C funding is a priority. We cannot afford another year of flat or decreased funding. The House Labor-HHS-Education Appropriations Subcommittee is the panel that will decide funding amounts for hepatitis programs.

Please help NOW!

Take action now at  
http://tinyurl.com/qsf8h
Well done. But your preaching to the choir. I dare say that at our age , we have all learned a long time ago the importance of voting and that with out each of our votes , the issues that are important to us will not be addressed in a proactive manner.

OK?
Here, want to voice yourself about HCV...

cut and paste the link, as I'm not as talented as the other computer guys...

http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizations/IMPACTC/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=480
thanks for the heads-up
Ever the sauve diplomat...when are you taking off to the Sierras?
AaaaRRiiiiikola!!! If I see you up there in some Liederhozen, I'll be a happy hikier!!!! ha ha ha!
oh, and sorry for all these typos (as you are wont to point them out, why I oughta...) I keep typing without my glasses, too lazy to go find them and I ain't down with those glasses chains, I lose those too..somebody here was saying lazer eye surgery is worth it...but I just dunno...
what can I say..best to focus on the common ground, all the more so when there's so little of it. I'm glad to hear glasses help your spelling, this clearly proves you haven't tx'd yet. Not even a dictionary seems to help mine.
Please Stop.  Enough of this. NO MORE POLITICS on this forum.  I know of nothing more divisive and I'm to blame for this more than anyone, I had to take that shot.  I'M SOO VERY SORRY I EVER MADE THAT POST.  I wish I could take it back more than I thought I ever could.  WE SHOULD NOT BE DIVIDED!  This has been a nice safe place where I could speak and not feel judged and now I blew it.  PLEASE!
you seem like a very nice, sensitive person, please, you don't worry about this too much,

things happen, arguments happen, things change....then they blow over...everything's alright. I'm so glad you weren't here a few years ago, talk about some fighting...it would of made your hair turn grey, ha ha! I barely dipped my toe in here for fear of it getting chomped off! But even with all that, they managed to keep going and support and survive, it's all good...you take care...
Your words mean a great deal to me.  Thank You.
Peace
Hey girl! How are you today? I hope the tx is being kind to you and the sx stay managable. I'm looking forward to my SF trip this summer . Back in the late 70's , I lived in Danville , right at the base of Mt. Diablo. Beautiful place , haven't been there in years. Do you ever get out that way?

Have a nice evening...
If people are judged by the company they keep , I'm pretty impressed with you already. I wouldn't dare judge you for anything you or anyone else say's here. I wish... so many times.. that there was a  "do over" button here on my keyboard , and so does everyone else.
It's ok. Nothing has changed. We are all destined to suffer
together.( and suffer we will)
Thank You for your kind words.  Too much on the plate already to generate animosity.  Take Care,
PEACE
okay...
whoa! that's it, everything makes sense now..vote, by all means vote - and when you do  - <strong> bring your glasses </strong>. This explains the hanging chads and everything...

4see: since it seems you might not be entirely clear on the concept of "those glasses chains" I'd like to point out that recent studies have suggested a statistically significant improvement in eyeglass retrieval for chain users, but only in the study arm that actually wore their chains. The others first lost the chains, then the glasses, then lost or mis-mailed the study forms, so the results have never been published.

dog_lover : well your stock definitely went down in my book. You started out pretty good, but completely skipped over DeLay, Cheney, Rove, Rumsfeld, Cunnigham, etc. etc. etc.
Hey my wilderness loving friend, so glad you posted such a witty post...reading here tonight, I find the board needs a "comic injection" ....last night I had a panic attack with all the ickyness that that entails - today I'm okay...life's little reprieves huh? I hope youre well...
Like Forseegood says, I wouldn't worry about it. You're new here. You didn't start this thread. And like you say, you're plate is already full. Hope you're feeling OK today.

-- Jim
It saddens me that I have lost stature in your book.
Peace
Dog_Lover
Sitting in my office one morning, A guy I work with sticks his head in and ask if I can join him and his client in a meeting , the client has some question about electrical and AC issues in the project we were working on. I went to the conference room opened the door , the client brought 6 people to the meeting and it didn't take long for me to become intimidated and the panic
soon took over. Couldn't breath , my completely dry , having a heart attack . I actually had to excuse myself from the meeting in the middle of an answer , ran to my office and shoved down 3 xanax , got my composure and went back to the meeting. When I got back , the panic had subsided by itself and the client was prepairing to leave , meeting over. The xanax had not even kicked in yet. When it did , I had to go home for the rest of the day because I was too goofy to stay there. It was actually pretty funny after all was said and done and my shrink and I had a good laugh over it.
The joys of panic attacks . The Nortriptylene I take mostly keeps them at bay , but once in a while one sneeks through.
Do yours come often and last long?
Relax. Listen to some music. Try Jackson Browne. His life got to be such a mess for a while that it always makes me feel better.
You are obviously a truely sensative and caring person and that will always keep you in the right. Everyone sees that in you and you are respected for it.

Have a great day.
Mark
I live in Alamo, right next to Danville. It is a great place. I have no neighbors I can see and enjoy watching my turkeys, birds and deer.

I had panic attacks a long time ago. They were awful. I went to a hypnotist and she hypnotised me and then gave me an audio tape of the meditation so I could do it myself. It worked wonders. I have never had a panic attack again. If I did I know I could do something for it.
Thanks for posting the info about the Hep C awareness budget that is going to be voted on tomorrow.  

This is really important! I just went on the website for the appropriations committee. It is bipartisan, btw.  They are Hep C ambassadors that are working on getting emails out to the members of this committee today. I just signed my name to their letter. It was quick and easy.

Please check it out. They are talking about billions of dollars for education and awareness.

http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizationsORG/IMPACTC/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=4011
I thought those PBS symptoms were hehind you by now? I may never understand these womanhood issues ....
Thank you for that link , I just used it also.
I don't know if it can keep you from being an idiot! LOL In fact when I did the hypnosis you are supposed to relax and think of a relaxing place.  I was thinking I was Donald Duck with my arm behind my head and knees crossed floating on a cloud watching the city below.

It did work immediately though. I had several sessions before she gsve me my own tape. I recommend it. It beats knocking yourself out with drugs, which doesn't really cure it.

I can see Danville from my house. I love this place!
That was a funny panic attack 52tele, 3 zanax??? I would of crawled back into the office, ha ha ha! I could just imagine myself, "Goofy" wouldn't be the word, I'd be crawling accross the big table, grabbing those clients by the lapels, "Listen you...blurp, bleep, blurp, droooool...." then fall down on one of them..ha ha ha! Now that would be a meeting!!! Sounds like the early 80's!!!!

Well, I've had to take producers to the ER cause they snorted too much coke on the job, so it's all in a day's work, ha ha ha!

I too get a lot out of self-hynosis and meditation tapes, etc. and I have exercises to deal with panic attacks really well...you "grade" the panic attack as a 4 or 6, then take it down to a 2, I have a lot of great coping methods for panic....but this one just snuck in somehow, hadn't had one in a long,long time...and it didn't get to a 10 thank God, that's when you go to the ER...

And then, the utter humiliation of it all! Those sour-faced ER docs come in and tell you, no, youre not having a heart attack, it's a plain old panic attack, now take these and go home! That's happened to me once or twice...

Dog_lover: please, don't take too much too to heart here... cept for the caring and support and the things you DO get out of it...

Like I said, even though this board is far, far more civilized and peaceful then it used to be....it's still a kind of rowdy board, say, as compared to Janis and Friends or some others...there isn't a lot of moderation here and that's one reason a lot of the denizens like it....

But I do know it can be too rough for some people...I always think, (well, not always, because once in a great while I too will become offended, but not often)... if you don't like a conversation, or the way a thread is going, just skip to the one where you feel comfortable, etc...

But whatever you do, don't personalize it...a lot of people are on strong drugs as you know, and they are often under tremendous stress, this disease alone is very stressful to have as you know....and sometimes they say things that they wouldn't ordinarily...and then sometimes, you might just want to avoid certain people, whatever...but it's all okay, there's a lot of really good info and caring as well as the nonsense from time to time...

And there will be all manner of wise cracking palookas as I like to refer to them (cause I can't seem to leave the 40's and 50's movies, at least in my own feverish little mind....) that are just being ironic or funny, whatever....and there will be very civil disagreements, and then the very uncivil disagreements, and if we're lucky, it will devolve into good ole name calling! ha ha! but whatever you do, don't take it to heart, it'll blow over soon enough...you'll find a lot of nice people here as well...
oops - my bad. I was just being another wise-cracking palooka (my politics are if anything even further out to the far far left).
ain't it funny about perspective? someone implied that CNN was too leftist...whaaaa??? sometimes it's so to the right (well, certain broadcasters there, I love Anderson Cooper) that I gotta to  PBS, ha ha ha! But then I go to Fox news as well cause I want to hear all sides of an issue before I make a judgment call...and what the hay, we all need a few yuks now and then, ha ha!
that was a swell post...Now get outta here you knuckleheads  , I mean it. lol.
Thats amazing. I had no idea where you were. I loved living there. I had to go back to Texas to finish school , or I might have stayed.
I've never spoken with anyone that went through the Hypnosis. Were the results immeadiate? Do you think hypnosis can keep me from being an idiot?
well i agree with Everyone...52;thanks for the laugh,3 xanax?? definately calls for a little DOWNtime......great story,truly made me laugh and that's what helps...