Hepatitis C Community
Elevated ALP Levels Only

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Elevated ALP Levels Only

I'm an active 32 year old healthy male. I recently went to my doctor due to low sex drive and low  energy. They performed bloodwork which included: CBC, Comp. Metabolic Panel, Lipid Panel, Thyroid Panel with TSH and PSA. All tests came back within the normal range except for my Alkaline Phosphatase (ALP) which was slightly elevated. The lab range for this test is 25 - 150 IU/L. My ALP level came back at 163 IU/L. All other levels that applied to the test descriptions above came back within normal ranges. My question is, since this was only slightly elevated above "high normal" by 13 IU/L should I be concerned and persue this further? My doc made no mention other than the fact that my ALP level were elevated (my physician usually does bloodwork annually). I have read that elevated ALP levels can mean Tumor, Hepititis (hepatitis), gallstones, etc.,. Could a high ALP level without any other liver enzyme elevations mean Hepititis (hepatitis)? I do have several tattoos which were done at a "clean" shop that is certified and inspected by the health department every 6 months. My last tattoo was finished in September of 2000. Also, I have never been tested for Hepititis (hepatitis). If Hepititis (hepatitis) is of consideration to my elevated ALP levels, can it take 5 years for anything to show up on a liver test?  How should I proceed with regards to my elevated ALP levels? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
There are no doctors here, just a lot a patients that have hepatitis C.  I don't know the significance of elevated ALP, perhaps someone will come along who knows.  You ask could it take 5 years for hepatitis to show up in the liver panel ?  You could have hepatitis C and it may never show up in any liver panel.  My APL, AST and ALT have always been on the low side of the normal range, and I figure I have had hep C for 35 years.  I had to ask for the test and you probably should too.  That will at least rule out hepatitis for you.  I suggest doing a google search for APL and seeing what you come up with.

Best of luck, friole
Yup like A lot of us who had NO side effects or ANYTHING...we didn't know we had hep until something else came along to give us a reason for testing.  It hides quite beautifully inside of us eating away at our livers!

It's worth getting a test.  All they do is draw a bit of blood.  If i a chicken scardy cat girlie can handle it...you know you can too ;-)

Just teasing!

Best of luck with everything
Debby
Just to add to friole's comments if it's not obvious, you would want a specific hep C test, not the standard liver panel. First they'll normally do a hep C antibody test, which will probably be neg, and that will be that as far as Hep C goes. If it should be positive, next is a follow up with a viral load test (PCR,  bDNA, TMA are names you might hear) to see whether the virus is active. In about 30% of cases where antibodies are present, there will be no active virus. Best of luck.
Michael, forgive my interuption....

Can anyone help me understand what the procrit time/boost profile might look like? As I see it there are three phases:

P1-Post Injection: 7-14 days of no visible activity
P2-Cell Manufacture: xxxx days of increased RBC production beginning yyy days after injection
P3-Cell Elevation and Decline: Period of xxx days of measurable benefit

Also, what type of boost is common from a 1ml injection. 1-2 grams or so?

Thanks for the replies. I've done the "google" search and most everything indicates that if your ALP is the only thing high on your liver panel then you should get your GGT tested. Supposedly, if your GGT comes back normal than the high ALP is not originating from your liver. It says you should then have bi-annual blood tests to monitor your ALP levels. However, if your GGT level comes back high then in combination with elevated ALP it indicates a liver condition in which case specific liver disease tests must be performed. Google lists probable causes of elevated ALP as: Cirrosis (cirrhosis), Hepititis (hepatitis) C, Liver Tumor, Gall Stones, or Bile Duct blockages. I go to the doctor for a follow up to having Bronchitis on Monday 10/24/05. I'll ask them again if we should look into this further. Again, I feel healthy with no wierd symptoms except for night sweats which started a couple months ago.
just tell your doc you want to be tested for Hep C and then take it from there, no sense guessing what's going on, that will only stress you out...take it from me, I am the original stressed out queen...I get night sweats and I am HCV active, but, I am also a woman in menopuase, or as I like to refer to it, "thermally challenged"  lol

You said that you think you have been infected with Hep C for 35 years even though your AST and ALT numbers have remained in the normal range.  What makes you think you have carried the virus that long?  I have given blood all of my life and the Blood Bank apparently has a way to check blood donations to see if anyone who has received your blood has contracted anything.  Does anyone know anything about the validity of the Blood Bank doing follow up on blood that has been donated?

Thanks,
Pirate
that is a very good question!!!!  I had a blood transfusion 37 years ago and I am almost positive that is how I contracted Hep C...I was in touch with the American Red Cross when I found out in may of this year and all they said to me was "sorry you have this disease"..not thank you very much for telling us, not can we help you in any way, not kiss me arse, nothing!!!

And I never received anything regarding my blood was refused either!  now, that freaking scary isn't it!

It does make you question the safety of the blood from the Red Cross........................that's for sure.
week 55 of tx pcr 177.000 alt up 100 points. 30 days ago 2.8 million 30 days before that clear tx. to all of you who know me WHAT A ride
you're really getting kicked around alot lately with this f*****g virus, so sorry...what's the doc have in store for you now?

Beth
You ask interesting questions and I would like to know the answers too.  A couple of weeks ago someone posted a link to a government sight and it made reference to some kind of program where letters were being sent to potential blood transfusion recipents.  It said 300,000 letters were sent out (or maybe it was only 30,000 - I remember thinking it was not that high). I will try to find that reference and post it.

I had a blood transfusion in 1977 - that was 28 years ago. It is possible I was infected then.  There is no way to really tell.  However, I was an IVDU from about 1969-71 or so.  In all reality, it was that at risk behavior that led to my infection.

Now here is the sad thing.  They were not able to screen for hep c until 1992 or 1993.  I was so grateful for the blood donation in 1977 that I became a regular donor for years.  Don't know why I stopped - maybe it was in the early 80's and had kids and no time.  I did not try to donate again until 1993 when an aquaintance had a hunting accident. Then I got "the letter" - that I tested + for the hep C antibodies.

So do they keep blood donor samples from the 70's? I would love for all those people to be notified, but what is my liability?  Any thoughts?
Sheesus. But you are one tough dude. That one's plain to see.
I did shot #6 of Procrit yesterday. So far, I am now able to stand up without grabing a wall or chair. I may be a slow responder or it maybe the oral surgery I had 3 weeks ago. I bled for about a day. Not a good thing when one has anemia. I should have my CBC and PCR results Tuesday and I'll post then.

Dana
i go tuesday to dr see what he says. snook said to get hold of dr cicil i will do that next week
I'm glad you're feeling better. The anemia must be a kicker.
I want you to know you touched right to my soul about Rainbow Bridge. I read it when I got in from work. Fortunately I had to go before my son saw my adam's apple stuck. Every Friday night for over a year now I go to the chapel for an hour of meditation and adoration. Tonight I couldn't help but shed tears of gratitude for all the wonderful new people and support in my life. Thank you.
Thanks for asking. I feel pretty good today. In fact, the best in the last 2 months. I think the Procrit is kicking in. I went and bought some fuel for my farm tractor today and went and mowed about 5 or 6 acres of pasture. I quit when I ran into a tree and busted the radiator. Now I have more to do tomorrow and I still feel good. A bit tired but what the heck, I earned it.

Re the Rainbow Bridge. My wife gave me a copy many years ago and it still hits me hard every time I read it. It took me an hour and 3 tries just to copy and paste it to the thread. It's hard to read with wet eyes.

Dana
hope your radiator and your tree feel better. Sounds like you had a good day.  Although I feel sore and achey (achy) more, I've noticed on the days I'm doing the physical work or at least have a productive day I don't seem to notice the aches until I stop, and it keeps me in a better mood.(providing the work goes well).
I am 95% sure that my HCV was contracted through a blood transfusion I had 37 years ago...I don't have tattoos, never used drugs, no "kinky" sex, never shared razors or toothbrushes and I pierced my own ears...But, I do regular dental cleanings, etc and have had 1 surgery, that did not require a transfusion back in 91...

I was never received any letters from the Red Cross either in giving or receiving blood...I did contact the Red Cross in May of this year (that's when I learned I had it) and all they said was "we are sorry you have this disease"...Did not ask any particulars, like where was the blood transfusion, name, SS# and so on...Nothing!

God Bless The American Red Cross!!!!!  NOT!!!

Quick comments: I was most likely infected in the late 70's, and the only elevated enzyme has been alkaline phosphatase.  I have been told that generally that is related to blocked ducts??  I discovered my Hep C when the blood bank said thanks but no thanks, keep your blood in a nice letter.  Not only did they check the profiles, they checked several ways to determine if the Hep c was active, or just the antibodies were present.  That was in 1994 I think. So Yes, they let you know............
glad they let you know, they sure did not let me know!
Hi to all, been diagnosed with hep c 4 yrs ago, dont know exactly when i caught it ,had the 6 month course of drugs and injections.At the end of the long 6 mth period after all the suffering of the side effects ,i wasnt able to get rid of the virus, my luck :( ,i suffer from alot of the symptons, sex drive is 0 ,are there other hep c suffers in similar situation as me ??
Will post again some time in the future.
I wish everybody good health.
Take care everybody !!!

ASIANROSE X X X
So sorry you didn't clear. I guess you are a geno 2 or 3, huh?  There are those that haven't cleared, especially Geno 3's with fatty liver too.  I am a geno 1 myself.  This thread is awfully far down and won't be looked at much.  I suggest you repost your question up at the top.  You will get much more response there.
friole