Hepatitis C Community
Elevated B12

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Elevated B12

My complete blood count showed my B12 is elevated to 1500 - way above normal. I do have fibromyalgia, which I have had for many years.  I have been experiencing shortness of breath - serious - shortness but at 7000' my blood oxygen appears to be normal unless I exercise strenuously.  Then it drops to around 83. I have had cognitive impairement and memory loss with this condition as well as loss of balance.  I am concerned about Alzheimer's Disease as my mother and her mother died from this disease.  Have they found that brains of AD patients have more B12 in them - or is this because of the reaction that I am getting because of the elevated B12 - or is the test erroneous because of my fibromyalgia along with cronic (chronic) fatigue syndrome.  And perhaps I am really deficient in B12?
Thank you
Do you have hepatitis C? Have you been treated for it? Maybe you are in the wrong forum.
Not sure of the reason for your high B12 but it is a water soluable chemical so drinking a ton of water should help lower it reasonably quickly.  Say 6 16oz glasses a day.  Basically you want your urine to be as clear as the water, literally.  Also are you taking any kind of supplement.  Watch your diet, a lot of prepared foods, cereal, Wonderbread, and so on are supplemented with B12.  It is stored, if I remember correctly, in fat, so if you are overweight losing weight would render your body less able to store it effectively.

Doug
a member here found that there is a correlation between high b12 and liver disease, maybe you can do a web search using both terms.
Thank you for your replies.  I have moved from this site to Respiratory.  I did not know where to begin because I don't know what I have and I had seen on this forum something about B12 and Hepatitis.  Sorry if I am in the incorrect forum - but you have given me food for thought. Liver and B12.. and yes I am over weight some. I am insulin resistant and my DR says "fuel efficient" but she says to just do all my exercising anyway and try not to pay attention to the scales. My heart is still pretty!