'End-stage' liver disease from Hep C
My Father has been diagnosed with "end-stage" liver disease from Hep C.  I would like to understand what the descriptor "end-stage" means - what does this tell us about his likely duration and quality of life?
A very dear friend of mine has been admitted to ICU with liver failure, kidney failure.

He is 34 years old, is ventilated at the moment, he has varices that they have banded.

I know the prognosis is very poor but is there any chance of survival for him?

Laura
Sweetie, I can't offer you any information on this one, and I don't know if anyone else who isn't a doctor and doesn't have all of his up to date info will be able to provide you much in the way of an answer.  My thoughts and prayers go out to you both.
I read your post, and it sounds so much like my 32 year old husband who is also in ICU right now due to kidney and liver failure.  I may not get back to check this post but I wish you would check and let me know the results.  My prayers go to you and the family.
My brother was also diagnosed with end stage hepatitis (not C) in April of this past year.  He was told at that time not by his Dr but by the PRN in Dr office that meant he had about a yr.  The Dr was really upset over her telling him this. He goes at least once wkly to have drainage removed from his abdomen.  Is your father on a transplant list.  If so that could save his life. Best of luck
I was in ICU in September and was told to get my affairs in order. I am now home, operating under my own steam, cleaning house, cooking meals, etc. The only thing I dont do is drive so my answer to those who have family in ICU is dont give up. As a patient I will say if it wasnt for my husband and  kids I would have given up. Dont let that happen to your loved one.
debbie
I was on the waiting list for a liver transplant for over 6 years, during which time I almost died from the effects of toxin build up in my body. After 6 years, I was finallly called and told that My name had come up on the waiting list and I was sent to an Oregon hospital. I waited there 3 months before a matching donor became available. Then I got the call from the doctors that they had a match for me and the transplant would take place that same day. 2 months after the transplant I am doing just fine, recovering well. So yes, there is always a chance for survival. If he is not on a waiting list for a transplant, see that he is placed on one, and then just don't give up. Stay strong and have faith.
My husband is going to be 53 next month.  He was diagnosed with "end-stage" liver disease in 2002, 6 years ago.  Though I have seen his health decline, it has been up and down.  They gave him 3 - 5 years without a transplant, and I immediately got him on the list.  His MELD score has gone from 7 - 10 in the past 4 years, but they don't transplant until 15 - 20, so he is still a ways away.  End stage sounds scary, but remember, God is in control.  You may have many years yet with your dad.  My husband cannot drive, but he does the laundry, dishes and basic house cleaning even today.  It is important to keep on going.  Greg loves to work out with light weights and perform with our band, as his health permits.  He has trouble remembering things, so we write out the words and chords for everything.  He has adapted and functions well.  I'm sure your dad will have some good years yet to share.  God bless you.
My husband is 61 and was diagnosed with end-stage liver disease. We lost our health insurance last May when my job was discontinued.  He has not been able to work and is still currently waiting to receive diability.  The only insurance company that will even concider him is unaffordable.  I understand that even after a transplant, the medication can cost as much as 5,000.00 a month.  What do you do?

by: TJ's wife
I have hep C diagnosed in 1995. has anyone ever heard of this  disease causing maldigestion, malabsorption?  Severe , 40 pound  mysterious  weight loss and inability to gain weight back. Skeletal looking body?
Any help greatly appreciated
ceej
That's a real shame that so many ppl know of others or they  themselves are going thru such a most difficult time.  I went to see my doctor one time around 6 or 7 years ago and I had to see his on-call.  At the time I was still using and drinking a bit.  Anyways to make a long story short the dipwad doctor told me I was dying.  I really got p-offed at him and I told my doctor when I finally did see him.  At the time my ankles were very swollen and I was sleazy looking.  lol  Nothing much different now except I don't use or drink. lol  Just kidding of course, I look like a complete square now and proud of it.  I wasn't dying and I didn't have cirrohsis like that dipwad said.  My doctor was really p-off at that dipwad doctor and he told me that number one I didn't have cirhosis and number two, he wasn't gonna let me die.  Within a month or so I became toxic and quit using everything, period.  I still don't have cirrohsis, but I do have HepC and need to get tx'ed.  My doctor told me at the time that a person could live for years with as little as 40% of their liver functioning.  It may not be good, but it made me feel better.  If you get a bad GI like I have currently look for another.  Also, here's some information, maybe useful for someone.  One last thing, there are drug companies that will help you with free of lead you in the direction of free tx drugs.  Maybe someone will chime in with that information later.  
God Bless

http://hcvadvocate.org/hepatitis/factsheets_pdf/Final%20Steps.pdf

http://hcvadvocate.org
From ***@****

I've contracted Hep C iA from being vaccinated by same syringe as others in Air Force during Vietnam era.  Also, by Air Gun vaccination where method of injection passed blood and body fluid from one person to another.  In the year 2000 I found out that I had Hep C, the hard type to beat.  I've had no treatments or anything since finding out, but, my viral count is 14 million at present time, My physician recently told my wife and I, if I didn't seek treatment immediately I would not be alive by next year ?  I've had 2 liver biopsys, both were near normal, and I really don't feel bad now, but really don't know what the effects are to be expected of this disease.  Recently I've develeped memory problems, I can not remember things that have recently happened or I've experienced, but, can recall things from the past ?  At times I feel just alittle nautious, headaches behind the eyes, depressed, and have withdrawn from almost everyone and don't want to do anything or go anywhere.  This was never me !  Could this be the effects of my having hepatitis ?  I fear treatment because of the horror stories that I've read from others on the internet, and I want to wait for the new protease inhibitor coming out in fall of 2009, pills, no shots/ injections at all, and treatment is said to be less toxic and results more favorable in regard to reducing viral load.  Can my viral load of 14 million kill me in a year as my physician told me ?  I don't know what to do, who to believe, or where to turn, can someone help me in providing me with some form of information, maybe something they have experienced themselves while on treatment.  I'm presently 53 turning 54 in November.  Any advice would be appreciated. God bless and good luck to all who have this disease, I wish you well.

Bill
I am a newbie with Hep C 1a stage 3 , I thing you need to see your hematogist (liver Specialist) and start treatment as soon as possible. I will start on treatment Sept 29th and I am very anxious and nervous about the side effects of the medication.  
I will venture an opinion of what end-stage liver disease means. This means Stage 4 or cirrhosis. This is where the tissues of the liver actually begin dying and necrotic. Usually this is considered irreversible. Most patients with ESLD are on, or trying to get on, the transplant list. This is a difficult time and process. The hope is that his turn will come up and a match found before he becomes too sick to transplant.

He should be seeing a hepatologist now. The hepatologist can tell you/him about where he stands with regard to qualification for the transplant list and chances for a match. He can also tell you what other options there may be. Depending on the progression of disease, it may be possible to treat with interferon and ribavirin now, whether or not a transplant is in his future. There are a lot of factors: age, genotype, severity of cirrhosis, other health factors, etc., that affect the outlook.

Good luck and God bless,
Brent
I noticed you posted on Ihowards thread.You people have some serious questions and I just wanted to say, you may want to OPEN a thread of your own.You'll get alot more responses.People can't see your questions on this thread unless they read Ihowards question.Just wanting you to find answers.Good Luck and ASK !
My 50 yr old sister was diagnosed with ESLD, I was told that her prognosis is not good.  What precautions do I need to take as far a hepatitis is concerned?  She currently lives with my nephew and his family (wife and 3 children).  Is she contagious?  Can they contract anything?   Please help????  
No no one can catch anything.
Suggest you repost your question as a new thread as you are tacked on to an old post from year 2000
Hi everyone. I have had Hep c for at least 10 years maybe over 30. They are not sure. I'm itchy all the time. I hear it is from the Hep C. Also they want to do a biopsy on me and I'm scared. I know that a lot of people bleed from it. How dangerous is it? I have Hep C type I   Does anyone have any information about biopsies and being itchy from this disease. Thanks  My blood test are still fairly normal also my liver ulrasound shows I have a fatty liver? ......
End stage liver disease is when your liver is so damaged it will not repair itself. Some with stage 4 liver diseases may have a chance of stopping the cirrhosis from getting worse but some not. After stage 4 is when they start calling it end stage liver disease. With end stage your liver is decomposed. With stage for some still have a composed liver. Your father should be or get on the liver transplant list.

It is good to get a biopsy if your father can with his condition. I wasn't able to do a biopsy as it may have caused more harm than good from bleeding if they did one. With my symptoms and a CT Scan it is enough to know I am at least 4 but more than likely end stage liver disease due my symptoms and the rough edges of my liver from the scan.  

The main symptoms of end stage are acites (fluid retention in the stomach), edema (fluid retention in the legs and ankles). With edema you can press the place that is swollen and your finger prints will stay in the skin for some time like dimples. If your ammonia level is low you may have encephalopathy  (confusion/disease of the brain) if you have this symptom the doctor will put you on lactalose, muscle wasting bad circulation jaundice, portal hyper tension in the esophagus or stomach. As it gets worse more organs like the kidneys will malfunction and he may need kidney dialisis and so on.

You will find no doctor that will give him how much time he has left. They could guess but it isn't accurate. They could guess a year and he may live 5 more. That varies with each endividual. If he substains from alcohol and goes on a appropriate diet he has a better chane of prolonging his life. Again he needs to get on the liver transplant list if he isn't.

I am sorry you have to watch your father go through this. I commend you for being supportive. I will pray for you both.
Hello all,
First I would like to say good luck and may god be with all of you through your hard times.
My mother-in-law has HepC and has been fighting this battle with Liver Failure and of in and out of the hospital for a few months now. Recently, we made a trip to see her (she lives in a different city). Her eyes are yellow, she is super skinny, and she has retained a lot of fluids in her lower belly area, but all in all, she looked alot better than I expected and in very good spirit. The doctors said that they had 3 weeks to find her a liver or she would pass (This was almost 2 weeks ago) She is currently the FIRST person in the national waiting list for the transplant. After our visit, things just turned for the worst. Now her Kidneys are starting to fail! Is this a result of the Liver problem??? Does that kind of go together??? They have put her in RCU in the hospital (Respitory Care Unit), but why??? I dont understand? They called my husband last night and told him that he MUST take a trip out there today bc at 3pm they are going to have a meeting with the doctor and he needed to be there, but we were just there last weekend. Could the reason that it is so urgent be because they believe she is about to pass?? Has anyone gone through this or does this sound familiar to anyone???

God Bless.....  
Hi and God Bless everyone! My friend has been told he has 3mths or less to go. He has had 2 episodes of encepolopathy (bleeding brain strokes), large fluid filled stomach (they drained it once), oedema (swelling) of the feet and legs. He also is in good spirits and seems to be doing ok. He is thin but eats well. It is hard to believe this might be the end for him most of the time. However, his sister went through this a few years ago and had her stomach drained 4 times in two week intervals. She died shortly after that. She was on a transplant list and was called but told she could not afford the meds. I too am confused by all the different info on end stage. Some say they can live for years, others say no.