Hepatitis C Community
Ending wk 13 post INC ~ dying with pain

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Ending wk 13 post INC ~ dying with pain

What is everyone taking for pain .    Such as muscle aches.  At this point I would say on a scale of 0 -10 I am setting at a 8 in my back , shoulders , arms and neck.    Its keeping me up all night.     Some say NO TYLENOL, Some say its ok ????    If it is ok, what is the maximum dose per day for us Heppers on TX.    
Tags: tylenol, acetometaphen, muscle & joint pain, hcv tx
TYLENOL/acetaminophen is the one to take.
If you have minor liver damage (stages 0-2) it doesn't matter what you take. Just stay within recommended dosages.

"As already mentioned, an overdose of acetaminophen can cause liver damage. This damage occurs in a dose-related manner. (Some other medications can cause liver injury in an unpredictable fashion that is unrelated to the dose.) In other words, liver injury from acetaminophen occurs only when someone takes more than a certain amount of the drug. Likewise, the higher the dose, the greater is the likelihood of the damage. Moreover, this liver injury from an overdose of acetaminophen is a serious matter because the damage can be severe and result in liver failure and death. In fact, acetaminophen overdose is the leading cause of acute (rapid onset) liver failure in the U.S. and the United Kingdom.

Just how much acetaminophen is safe to take?

"For the average healthy adult, the recommended maximum dose of acetaminophen over a 24 hour period is four grams (4000 mg) or eight extra-strength pills. (Each extra-strength pill contains 500 mg and each regular strength pill contains 325 mg.) A person who drinks more than two alcoholic beverages per day, however, should not take more than two grams of acetaminophen over 24 hours, as discussed below. For children, the dose is based on their weight and age, and explicit instructions are given in the package insert. If these guidelines for adults and children are followed, acetaminophen is safe and carries essentially no risk of liver injury." from medicinenet.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Acetaminophen is the only analgesic recommended for us with stage 4 cirrhosis. I have HCV, End-Stage Liver Disease (advanced cirrhosis) and liver cancer and it is what I am told I can take for minor aches and pains.
Max is 2,000 mg per day for cirrhotics.

Hector

Max is 2,000 mg per day for cirrhotics.

Hector
Thank You Hector.   This week has been very painful for me as far as muscle pain.   I have scoliosis in my lower back and reverse curvature in my neck with c-6 & c-7 pressing on my spinal cord.   Needless to say every other muscle in my body is aching as well and I have never felt pain like this.  The doctors in the past has tried , to give me pain meds but I would never accept them.   Always just rode it out and did stretching, heat and ice and the good old Tens unit.    But this...... Is incredible......  So I am giving in to tylenol for now.   Thanks for your information, You are such a world of information and I trust you .   God Bless Hector, Hope it is getting better for you.    You have my Prayers  
I ride out the pain most of the time myself but I do have my limit. So don't suffer needlessly. Remember the relief is mild but it can be enough to get you through.

I have my liver cancer treatment on Monday morning. They hope to shrink my tumor. I am hoping for some serious meds during the painful parts even though I have to be awake so I can hold my breath when they are feeding the catheter up into my chest from my groin. Yikes! After that, they better knock me out! I will be doing some meditation/'imagery too that helps me deal with pain. Pain sux, but if it is for a good cause well the is worth the temporary suffering.

Hang in there!
Hector
i get pains like that too ...on my days following my inj. and i take 4 ibprofens and sometimes it relieves it enough for a couple hours....i read to take 1000mg tylenol before inj to help but i still hurt today but maybe itll help u!  so yes i think tylenol is ok on treatment but not too much
also...u stopped taking telaprevir 13wks ago?
living - Yes, the tylenol is the preferred choice but I agree with Hector.  There are times when you do what you have to do.  Managing the scoliosis is all that much harder with these treatment drugs.  At least noe the Incevik is over.  You are not taking neupogen, are you?  I get bone aches from that.

hector - my thoughts are with you tomorrow.

frijole
Hep doc told me I could take Tylenol, but I have no liver damage (stage 0).
The shoulder and arm pain that you're feeling could be your C6 and C7 problems.  Would it be helpful to go to your primary care doctor or a neurosurgeon and have an MRI of that area?  You may have ruptured discs that are pressing on root nerves sending pain out to other areas (back, neck, shoulders, arms, etc.).  Have you had any falls or whiplash type injuries lately?  A couple of years ago, I had an injury that resulted in two ruptured discs at C5-6, and C6-7.  The discs then pressed on spinal cord and caused some permanent damage and also pressed on root nerves to my neck/arm, shoulder, hand.  The pain was unbearable.  Ice helped and gave about an hour's relief.  As soon as the situation was diagnosed, I was referred to a neurosurgeon and had surgery to remove both discs and put in a titanium plate to fuse to the vertebrae.  I do have some lasting damage, but I can live with that.  The pain before the surgery was not bearable.
Advocate1955
My first response would be to encourage you to get a series of massages and do some mild exercises. Nothing makes me sore like lying around, doing nothing.

During my first tx, I saw an MD who is an herbalist and specializes in HepC.
Along with some other herbs for symptoms she had me taking a supplement called bromelain.
Its made from pineapple stems.
It helps to reduce swelling. What actually causes pain is swelling.

A few weeks ago, I had some intense deep muscle pain. Since I still had a bottle of Quercertin/Bromelain, in my closet, I started taking it again.
Two pills, three times daily on an empty stomach.

It isn't magic but it took the intensity of the pain away.

Oh, and make sure you are drinking more water, yes, more water!
Good luck,
OH

Unless you have Stage 3 or 4 liver disease, most painkillers should not be contra-indicated for you just because of hep c or treatment.  Since the source of your pain is not liver-related but rather musculo-skeletal related, you may find more relief with ibuprofen (Advil, Aleve, Motrin) than with Tylenol.  If your pain is not alleviated with OTC anagelsics at recommended doses, you should ask your treatment team for a better solution.  Hope that helps, and hope your pain goes away soon! Take care. ~eureka
Thanks Everyone for your kind thoughts and information.   Any kind of pain is no fun, and I can tolerate alot, but this has been killer.   So Tylenol it was and it worked great .  
Advocate thanks for your story and info, I will be going to the Neuro & Ortho docs soon after this is all over.  
Hawk,  I will check into the Pineapple stems :)    I love natural remedies
And
Hector, My Prayers are with You.   I will be doing some intense talking with the Man upstairs.   I Believe You are going to Beat this :)   Love & Hugs to all