Hepatitis C Community
Enlarged spleen & liver

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Enlarged spleen & liver

Has anyone dealt with the pain assoicated w/the enlarged spleen & liver w/Hep C?  I'll be starting treatment this Friday & I hope going on the triple tx will help with this as well.
You have other diseases that I can't comment on as I have no experience with them. A spleen that is 3x the size of a normal spleen is something beyond what happens to the spleen in advanced liver disease. Here we focus of the hepatitis C virus and its resulting liver disease.

Good luck.
Hector
Can you explain  more about yourself ? Do you have cirrhosis ? Where is the pain ?
Pain is very rare from having an enlarged spleen or enlarged liver. All people with cirrhosis have an enlarged spleen most don't even know they are ill.
Have you had a biopsy so that you know the status of your liver disease before starting treatment?

If you have an enlarged spleen it indicates you probably have cirrhosis of the liver. Cirrhosis is advanced liver disease and effects your treatment choices. You should be seeing a hepatologist in order to be treated properly. I gastroenterologist does not have the resources available to treat you should you have servere complications. In cirrhotics treatment can make your liver disease worse and for a very small number of people it can even cause liver failure. Has your doctor discussed these risks with you? Having cirrhosis means the odds of successful treatment are less than others with less liver disease and you are more likely to have more servere adverse events from treatment such as anemia and thrombocytopenia (low platelet count). These conditions will need to be managed properly in order for you to complete 48 weeks of treatment. Only a hepatologist (liver disease specialist) is qualified to treat you if you have cirrhosis.

Good luck.
Hector
Diagnosed w/Hep C in 2005, now at stage 3 of liver disease (fibrosis), spleen enlarged x3 size of normal spleen, have increased lymph nodes, but tested out w/no lymphoma, but haven't been totally cleared of non-hodgkins.  Constant pain, levels run from 4-10, left side under breast/rib cage & right under breast/rib cage to lower right side, including the back.  I have seen Hepatologist, Hematologist and Gastroenterologist and now being told no more "thinking" about starting the triple tx, it's a must do now.  I am Geno type 1, 6.8 mil v/l.  Will start Friday w/Incivek, Ribo & Pegasys redipen.
Yeah, the Hepatologist found "things" not matching up as well, but after CT Scan, PET Scan, he sent me to the Hematologist who was the one stating w/all labs, etc I shouldn't think about the tx I need to do the tx.  They then contacted the Gastroenterologist who started the ball rolling. The 1st 2 docs are very well known for their involvement in the studies both in the US & abroad of the Incivek.  One is from Loyola in Chicago & the other is local who studied w/the one at Loyola.

Good luck.
Hector
Something new for you then because this IS directly related to the HEP C.  Learning something new everyday in this forum?
Hi   phyllis.

In response to your first post..Yes. an enlarged spleen may  and will  often cause pain(somewhat known as referred pain due to its enlargement. (below)

Good luck with your treatment and welcome to the group..
Will

http://www.medicinenet.com/enlarged_spleen_splenomegaly/page2.htm

However, as the spleen enlarges, it can press up against the diaphragm, the muscle that separates the chest and abdominal spaces. Diaphragm irritation may refer pain to the left shoulder. An enlarged spleen also can push toward the stomach and cause anorexia or a loss of appetite and a sense of early fullness when eating.

Since the enlarged spleen grows beyond the protection of the ribcage it becomes more likely to be injured, thereby increasing the chance that abdominal pain may occur

What Hector said was,"A spleen that is 3x the size of a normal spleen is something beyond what happens to the spleen in advanced liver disease"

I had decompensated cirrhosis and I still have an enlarged spleen as it does not shrink back to size even after a transplant. Although I was close to death, my spleen was never anywhere near three times it's normal size.
As will mentioned, it does enlarge and press on the diaphragm. I found massaging my diaphragm helps, as well as being careful to eat the 'right' diet,  but I've never had pain, simply pressure in that area.

You have non-hotchkins lymphoma. I believe this is what Hector was referring to. You have other health issues that are outside our range of experience.

Wishing you the best of luck~
I have got hep c, cirrohsis and enlarged spleen.
Did get some pain at first in my right side, front and back, now feel pressure under diaphram.
Going on the med in jan, have been told there is a small risk of death or liver failure.
Wishing everyone in similar position Good Luck and be strong.
Wendy