Esophageal band ligation recovery time?
Can anyone who has had the procedure for esophageal varices (my last endo revealed them to be stage 2) tell me about the post procedure recovery. Are you warned about strenuous activity, diet, etc? Do you feel "normal" pretty soon after the procedure? Please I would prefer real experience  vs. speculation.                                                                                                    The reason I ask is (A) because of my already very low BP taking beta blockers impairs my energy too much so my hepatologist is suggesting prophylactic banding this summer. And (B) Cirrhosis or not I am a working musician playing the harmonica on stage and in studios with force and passion and have certain obligations. I know inspiration and expiration come from the trachea rather than the esophagous but i presume I would have to "lay off" from playing for a little while post procedure...... And No: a hep team does not know how to assist with idiosyncratic "quality of life" issues (like playing music, managing 18 mo twins, dealing with unemployment, lifting weights, etc) when you are cirrhotic (and a vain, musical, fertile cirrhotic at that) thus I ask here? My best: dennis (nyc)
Anyone please?
I had 2 major esophageal bleeds back in 1995. I had the first and the doctor sclerosed my vessels - injected them with a drying agent. I was discharged in a day or 2 with no precautionary information. I bled out 2 months later. I had a different and better doctor who said I had to undergo 6 sclerosing treatments each a week to 10 days apart. I did and my vessels were "obliterated" according to my doctor. I was monitored with endoscopy monthly and never had another bleed. I was transplanted in 2000 so that is no longer a problem.
I too was on a beta blocker. I used to ride horses and I suppose that activity presented a risk but again, I did not bleed out. I believe that banding varices is a better treatment approach than sclerosing so I would think that once you're banded you could probably live somewhat normally. I don't know whether lifting heavy weights would be too risky. I suspect that it might be. I really doubt that playing a harp would be a problem for you but I am not an expert. I would not have hesitated to play an harmonica once my vessels were obliterated - it just doesn't seem scary and I played in a band for many years so I know blowing a harp can get pretty taxing. But again, I am no expert and I can only give you my sense of it. I would suspect that immediately post procedure you would likely have to behave more cautiously but I was not banded so I don't know. I assume that you will be closely monitored and I think that once your doctor is confident that your problem is controlled he may grant more leniency in the activities you can pursue.
What I can tell you - if you haven't had a bleed - is that you really want to avoid a major bleed. It's a scary thing to go through and it sticks with you. Though, as I said, I never bled out after my second bleed, I was always afraid that I would. I would make myself burp into my hands to see if I could smell that copper smell you have when you bleed. So, do whatever you can to avoid that and that means you might have to take it a little easier for a while than you'd like. If you have had a bleed then you know what I'm talking about.
I wish you the very best Dennis. I also wish I could have been more help to you.

Be well,
Mike
sorry  there's not more help/advice. Unfortunately in my experience this forum doesn't provide much support or practical advice on issues related to more advanced cirrhosis/esld management (on the other hand we excel in the 'I think my neighbor has hcv and his cat peed in my flower box - how long do I have to live?" dept). A few here have reported banding but you  might find more helpful and on/point advice on another forum. MH should consider a cirrhosis forum - a bit strange they don't have one. Good luck!
posts crossed - glad Mike was able to provide valuable experience  (but I still think those with cirrhosis and their caretakers would be better served by not having to wade through a  lot of the nonsense posted here)
Had the procedure done once. Afterwards, I had a sore throat for about a week when swallowing. Fully recovered, the doctor wants to check once more since it's been a year now. Important for everyone to check because sudden bleeding can take place, especially in your sleep...

Magnum
Thank you for taking the time! Hopefully I'll get more responses as well.
Had banding 12 days ago.  Had no idea what to expect.  First night was painful enough to prevent sleep.  Each day gets better, but still have some pain eating.  Dr. suggested maalox or mylanta, never TUMS.  I got some chloraseptic lozenges to take (one) , prior to eating.  It helps.  Has benzocaine in it.  I go back for another in about 2 weeks.  I dread it.  Will ask for Carafate this time.  It just coats the area.  Mylanta did nothing.  Feels like really bad heartburn, which it isn't.   Don't expect to eat solids well for a few days; pudding, cream or broth soups, ice cream, etc.  Recommend no sodas.
About a week ago I was feeling nauseous and started throwing up, turned out to be blood.  Called 911 (for the first time in my life) and went to the hospital.  I have Hep C and cirrhosis of the liver and a vein had burst.  At the hospital I continued to throw up 3 times, mostly a purple half eaten steak is the best description of it.  Turns out it was clotted blood that was in my stomach but not new blood.  Anyway they gave me a transfusion and then the next day they put 7 bands on me.  Throat feels sore, and it's not a pleasant experience but except for the banding part, I've had this done twice before.  I was on liquids for two days, and then for two more days they kept me in the hospital because my red blood count was low.  But I ate regular meals.

I'm now on 3 type of pills a day.  One is an antacid, (which hardly counts) and the other is iron to increase my red blood count and the third is Nadolol
which I'm going to have to take until I've undergone a liver transplant.

Anyway, for what it's worth, that's my experience and knowledge on the subject.
what hospital- i need this done
I've had three bleeds, the last one nearly fatal, and I've lost count of how many times I've had banding. This time though I'm really suffering. The pain is making me feel sick. I had the procedure yesterday and can only manage a few sips of water never mind soft food. Is this normal? I have never had this discomfort and pain after banding before. Can I take Gaviscon, would that help? Any advice welcome! Debla