Hepatitis C Community
Everything tastes !

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Everything tastes !

I read where one of the sx's is a bad taste but, nothing tastes good to me.  If something has the slightest amountt of salt it tastes salty, if it has any amount of sugar, it tastes too sweet.  But nothing has any flavor.  I hope my taste comes back.  Having said that, I hope my hair comes back, by eyesight comes back, my voice returns to normal, etc., etc.

the only thing that tastes good is tomatoes.
guess i didn't finish my subject - I mean't everything tastes bad!  Time for bed.
I loved apples when I was on tx.
I agree YuK.  I try so hard to think of a food that "sounds" as if it will taste good to me so that I can eat something and I might even have my husband drive somewhere to get that specific food but then there's always something "wrong" with it...too sweet, too salty and just doesn't taste.  So, you described pretty much me.  
Cucumbers and melon have been my good tastes lately.
Yep, I think the worst thing on tx, for me, was that my coffee didn't taste good.  Usually I have 1-2 cups in the morning, that's it for the day, but I had to give it up on tx.  Not only did it not taste the same, it also make me puke, yuk!

Hubby tried to be sweet early on, smoked some pork out on the grill, when he brought it into the house I could not believe how bad it smelled to me.  The taste was so strong I couldn't even eat it, so he had to eat a lot of pork that week!!!

Post-tx, the taste issue is resolved.  Pretty sure you can count on that.
Hot spicy stuff is too intense for me right now. I usually like it. I've had cake icing have a chemical taste. What I find appetizing, is in most cases not the healthiest choice.
cucumber and onions smelled and tasted awful to me

I'm in the same place about food tastes and getting enough in me.The only foods that have appeal are fruits and a few veggies like cukes. Fruit smoothies with yogurt help me get some protein. And it's not only tastes and smells, but textures. This problem usually comes and goes but at week 30 now, this is the worst it's been.

Pam
Dont worry once you stop treatment the biggest problem isn't how bad everything tastes it's going to be how GREAT everything tastes! After not enjoying anything for 72 weeks when I first got my taste back and ate an Oreo one night I almost cried it was so incredible.

Then the problem became trying not to eat everything in sight.

Believe me your taste buds will be just fine!
I did not have that with treatment but did with one of the antibiotics I used on TX.  OVER salty, OVER sweet.  Same with smells.  Since taste distortion is caused by meds, mine went away when antibiotics stopped, yours will go away when TX meds stop.  With a little luck, it may be a come-and-go SX and only bother you sometimes.
A long time ago someone posted a comment about the 'taste' of treament that I thought was entertaining and true. 'Treatment is like sucking on a quarter's worth of nickels'
the funny thing is, my mind still thinks it going to taste good.  I still get craving's.  But, as soon as I take a bite, yuk!

I'm with you Pam, at 33 wks and this is the worst.