Hepatitis C Community
"FDA Group Recommends Acetaminophen Liver Warnings"
About This Community:

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

"FDA Group Recommends Acetaminophen Liver Warnings"

(AP)  A Food and Drug Administration report released Wednesday recommends stronger warnings and dose limits on drugs containing the painkiller acetaminophen, citing an increased risk of liver injury.

The recommendation covers both prescription doses and over-the-counter medication, of which Johnson & Johnson's Tylenol is the most well-known. Acetaminophen is also widely available as a generic over-the-counter drug.

"There is extensive evidence that hepatotoxicity (liver toxicity) caused by acetaminophen use may result from lack of consumer awareness that acetaminophen can cause severe liver injury," the working group report said.

The outside advisers will meet in June to discuss the report's findings. The recommendations include enhanced public information efforts, stronger labels warning of liver side effects, and dose limitations.

"Consumers may not be aware that acetaminophen is present in many over-the-counter combination products, so they may unknowingly exceed the recommended acetaminophen dose if they take more than one acetaminophen product without knowing that both contain acetaminophen," the report said.

The recommendations also call for limiting the maximum adult daily dose to no more than 3,250 milligrams. The current recommendation stands at 4,000 milligrams per day. Other recommendations include limiting tablet strength for immediate release formulations and limiting options in liquid formulations for children.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.