Hepatitis C Community
Failed triple tx w/Incivek: follow up with Hepatologist

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hi All,
Background:  My husband is 59 years old, and he has probably had Hep C for 38+ years.  Diagnosed in 2007, genotype 1a, f1-f2 at that time.  Treated in 2007 with SOC, and failed (partial responder).  Had regular lab work and appointments between 2007 - 2010.  2010 biopsy showed f4. Treated with Consensus Interferon (daily Infergen injections + 1400 mg Riba daily) in 2010, and failed (partial responder).  Had regular lab work and appointments, and then tx'd with triple therapy w/Incivek between Sept. 2011 - April 2012.  Became UND at week 8, but had viral breakthrough sometime later, and failed (viral breakthrough)  Stopped treatment on April 12, 2012.  
Update:  Saw hepatologist yesterday.  Liver is still compensated, RBC and WBC are both back up to normal now following failed treatment.  Feels well, energy is back, taste buds are back.  No other treatment options available right now.  Hepa says that he is a poor responder to Interferon and virus is stubborn/resistant = difficult to treat.  Will refer him to be considered for upcoming clinical trials with Interferon free all oral treatments that are coming up.
Advocate1955
Tags: failed triple tx w/Inc
PS:  I forgot to add, since we know he has Cirrhosis, the hepatologist will be monitoring him very closely:  lab work every 3 months, ultrasounds every 6 months, and appointments with her every 6 months.
Advocate1955
Sorry to hear about treatment failing your husband.  I've had 2 short term treatments (one SOC and the other the Gilead GS9451/GS5885/SOC) - the doctors think that since I have an IL28B of T/T, I don't get the interferon response needed for success with current treatments and must also wait for an all oral combo.  I will gladly share whatever I hear from the trial people that I treated with - hopefully a cure will fund us!  Keep faith.
   I am sorry to hear about your husbands' failed Tx. Is he on a list for a Liver Transplant?
    You are doing a great job in being calm and organized. I am glad your husband is feeling well again, and has his energy back.

jsf52:  Thanks, I'll be interested to hear what trials you hear about, and I'll post on the forum when I hear something about trials my husband may learn about as well.
Becep:  Thanks for your well wishes.  No, my husband's liver is compensated.  It is functioning well, even though he has Cirrhosis.  He's not ill, and has never had any sign of decompensation, so he is nowhere near needing a transplant.  If that day should come, though, his hepatologist is in a university based hosptial with a transplant center.  The goal now will be to keep his liver compensated until a trial or new treatment options come available.
Advocate1955
I'm extremely sorry to hear about the failed tx......I wish him good luck in sustaining what he has & with his next treatment.
It's so good to see you back here and posting.  Keeping my ear to the ground for possible trials, as you know.  So glad he's feeling better...
Sorry to hear about the failed tx you gave it your best shot well thankfully he compensated dont worry new drugs will be here soon and someday your hubby will be virus free!! glad hes feeling better and doing well hang in there!
thanks for the update....good luck.....billy
From someone who has also been (and continues to be) in the fight against my husband's Hep C virus, I know first hand how difficult it is. Based on our experience, i believe that although your husband's  treatments all ultimately failed, the treatments have actually helped his liver to stay compensated. That makes everything he has gone through, worth it.

Sounds like you have an excellent hepatologist and your husband has a wonderful life partner that is helping him to remain sane and healthy through this terrible ordeal.  From one caregiver to another, I congratulate you for being there for your husband through thick and thin, and offering him the support he needs to help him stay focused on the ultimate prize - a long Hep C-free healthy life.

Nan

Thanks for the well wishes and your kind words of support everyone.
Advocate1955
Hello - I have not posted in a while.  During my treatment I often counted on the wisdom that you shared on this forum.

I wanted to  let you know that you are not alone.  My husband also has cirrhosis and was unsuccessful with his treatment.  Thank you for continuing to post.  LA
Hi. I, too, am wive and advocate and our husbands are about the same age. Mine was on triple therapy and is headed into the last 12 weeks of riba/interferon and has an appointment on Monday with the doc. Having relapsed before, he is making himself, and me, a nervous wreck about this appointment. So, I sit here this morning reading all of the information I can find. I wish I had found this forum sooner in our process.