Hepatitis C Community
Fatty Liver verses NASH

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Fatty Liver verses NASH

What is the difference between Fatty Liver and NASH. My doctor said in addition to HEP C I had a fatty liver and it could be genetic. Does it make a difference in treatment/prognosis for hep C. Both parents are type 2 diabetics. I have HEP C, geno 1, Stage 3, "teetering" on 4.When I start treatment in the next few weeks, I understand I may have a loss of appetite. Will that get rid of the fatty liver?
I think the main difference is that with NAFLD (fatty liver), there is no inflammation process causing progressing liver damage.  There simply are fat cells in the liver tissue.

With stage 3 fibrosis and chronic hepc, I'm not sure what the differences are, or how to tell what is causing the fibrosis.  Fatty liver may simply be caused by the stage3/4 fibrosis.

My doc says losing weight can help to reduce fatty liver, so if one is overweight, it would be a good idea to slim down, and loss of appetite is certainly a side effect of IFN/Riba treatment.  It also will improve chances of success.