Fatty Liver
This may be a stupid question, but, here goes.....

How does one know if they have fatty liver?   What test, or tests, are done to determine that?  

It's not something that I think I have, but how would I know?   My doctor has never talked about it.
Thanks!
~Debbie~
See:  http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/497001_5
Have you had a neddle biopsy? That's a way.
Yes, it shows up on a biopsy
frjiole
@ Mike..thanks for the article, very informative.  The website also.  I signed up for daily articles. Again, thank you.

My only biopsy was done 5 years ago, so i can assume if anything was there, it would have been revealed at that time.  I would hope so. :)
Yes it would of come up on your Biopsy.
Mine was diagnosed from ultrasound.
Mine was found from ultra sound and biopsy.
is the biopsy safe and doesn't damage the liver?  does fatty liver damage the liver over time?  I've been diagnosed with this for over a year and started to exercise
"My only biopsy was done 5 years ago, so i can assume if anything was there, it would have been revealed at that time.  I would hope so. :)"

I have had three biopsies. The 1rst two in 99 and 2004 showed o fibrosis and no fatty liver. the last one in 2010 showed late stage 2 and fatty liver, maybe nash. I am about 20-25 lbs overweight. Trying to get rid of the extra meat :)
-Dave
Ultrasound can tell whether or not you have fatty liver, it apparently isn't a very useful tool for assessing severity, progression, or regression.

Spectda:
What is your situation in regards IR and are you on an insulin sensitizer?
My last biopsy said I had macrosteatosis. My enzymes since completing treatment are normal, but not really low alt-30, ast-28  I thought perhaps this was because of the fatty liver (maybe nash). I exercise quite a bit, mostly hiking and mountain biking

No insulin sensitizer. I have not had any detailed tests done. I don't know a lot about this subject but here is some info.

My blood pressure has risen from about 135/75 ave before tx to 165/75 ave post tx. I am going to my cardiologist and will probably start on BP meds (I am thinking losartan since it may have anti fibrotic abilities based on a small study using it for that purpose) and will get the cholesterol test done with the breakdown of ldl and hdl.

My glucose is usually around 100, sometimes a little higher and some times lower. At week 17 post tx and still und recently glucose was lower then usual at 93, triglycerides 100, total cholesterol  141-160 (don't know the breakdown but expecting low hdl), A1c was 4.5 at the start of tx, haven't had one recently.

If you have any thoughts I appreciate it.
-Dave
My steatosis was dx one year post-tx and has been noted on three ultrasounds durng the eight years post-tx. My doctor put me on lisinopril for BP at one year post and a statin for low hdl a couple years later (#s similar to yours - total and LDL OK, HDL way low).
During and prior to tx I was 220-225 lb and never able to lose much if any weight. My glucose was a little higher than yours, but "not that bad" according to my GP. It took my toes going numb and a high $ neurologist to dx IR and get me on Metformin. I lost 40 lb. in six months (230+  down to 195   6'2").
Very interesting information, thank you. 3 toes on one of my feet have been extremely numb for about 2 years. I mentioned this to a couple of hepatologists who thought it was from cryo which I was diagnosed with (including vasculitis) or because I have have moderate to severe disk degeneration depending on which disk we are talking about. I am only 53

I weigh 190 and I am 5"10. I can lose weight but it's a lot of work. It sounds like it would be a good idea for me to see someone who can check to really find out what is going on. I suppose you saw the neurologist because you were numb, but what type of specialist would be best to get this checked out.

Thanks for your help and relating your own experience.

Debbie-Sorry to Hijack your thread with my personal stuff.

-Dave
Any doctor should be able to figure your HOMA ratio using the fasting glucose test they do where you go in after fasting all night, they give you some sugar water to drink and they do periodic blood sugar tests for next few hours. Then there's a test to check how your body actually uses your insulin, I believe. I never got that far - my #s were so far off.
Really not highjacking as I feel this stuff is all interconected. The only reason I was checked for NAFLD post-tx was because I'd carried a geno 3 virus for almost 30 years and they were just making some connection between g3 and fatty liver.
Nothing's ever simple.