Hepatitis C Community
Fatty liver and hep c

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Fatty liver and hep c

I had an ultrasound done and the results came back with this: "Liver has a coarse inhomogeneous echotexture throughout suggesting possible fatty infiltration."  What effect does the fatty liver have on hep c and the function of my liver?  Also does the hep c have anything to do with the "fatty infiltration?"  I have tried looking up some articles but I am coming up pretty empty handed or very minimal information.  I am not an overweight person... okay maybe I can drop 10 pounds but what can I say I like to eat : ).By the way I am going to go ahead with the biopsy however start treatment right after the biopsy...I hope.  I don't want to wait 2 more weeks for the biopsy results since no matter what I am going to treat.  
D
I always thought the fatty liver to be associated with excess wt, but what do I know? Sandi is the expert on that one.
good choice on doing the biopsy, you want to know EVERYTHING about your liver that you can.
GL
I read that fatty liver is associated with genotype 3. Do you know your genotype?
I'm a genotype 3a VL 21900 32 yr old female ALT 89 AST 54(hey I'm getting pretty good spitting out my stats.)  I thought fatty liver had to do with obesity however I'm not obese.  I'm about 145 lbs. and 5'4". I did read a few things where there were association made between 3's and fatty liver however no clarifications on why or how.  Would this be any indication/cause of increased damage to the liver?  Or does this have any effect on my ability to respond/not respond to treatment?
D
I have fatty liver and mine is due to alcohol use. I am of ideal weight. Now that I don't drink anymore I was told the fatty deposits will decrease. Some THEORIES say that people with fatty liver may be harder to treat, yet I have seen no actual proven studies.
From what I understand fatty liver alone does not cause much of a problem, what you have to be concerned with is fibrosis. If you were a drinker or your diet was the culprit, once you correct that problem your fatty liver will also. Do your searches on steatosis, the tech name for fatty liver.    Good Luck
Nice to see you here too! If you remember, I too have 3a but also have fatty liver. It is associated with, obesity, alcohol, or hep c. But, I do not know if there is any difference in tx. I don't really think so though.

Anyway, good to see you investigating all this.  :o}

Sincerely,
Dana
Hey Dana,
I was wondering if you were the same "pain in the side" from the other forum. I saw another post of yours in one of the threads...I've read so many I'm not sure which one.
You know I did find a bunch of articles on the association of steatosis with Hep C and they are finding that it is related to genotype 3a.  I also found that it does have a direct corealation to an increase in fibrosis.  I am still reading about this but this has made my decision definite on getting a biopsy.  There was also another study done on the effects of treatment but there wasn't much information so I will continue my search.  I'm not sure if I can post the articles or links on this forum so I will play it safe and not do either.

cougar eyes thanks for the tip that helped tremendously in finding what I was looking for.  I guess it would help if I could get the actual terminology down.  : )
thanks
D