Hepatitis C Community
Feeling pain stricly around left pectoral (upper chest) muscle

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I know some people have abdominal pains and pain felt around their ribs/rib cage from time to time. Does anyone feel pain around their left pectoral muscle? I am pretty sure the pain does not radiate toward my sternum, but it does sort of just linger around areas of my left pectoral, upper chest muscle.

FYI, I have not started treatment yet, my specialist says I'm "mild, ongoing". It doesn't hurt when I breathe, and my heart rate also appears normal. It also doesn't hurt when I touch the muscle area. It's a subtle type of pain, not sharp. Is it just the usual pain resulting from stresss/anxiety? trapped air? or is that a pain felt from the inflamed liver? My left arm works fine, bends fine, I can make a fist, etc, though I'm constantly monitoring if it can get worse. FYI, other than the hcv, I have no other illneses, issues, generally healthy, fit (non-smoker, never much into alcohol, no drugs, etc), 28 yr old. also, the pain comes on maybe every other day and lasts for just a few minutes. I'm not sure if it's directly related to stress. Sometimes I watch a favorite tv show and I dont' feel the onset of pain. any ideas? anyone feel this too?
It could be any number of things including chest congestion, reflux, muscle spasm/strain, or as you suggest stress. Of course, one of the things you want to rule out is any degree of coronary heart disease. I assume you spoke to your doctor about this and at least had an EKG? Some of us, including myself, were told to have a cardiac stress test prior to treatment because of the added stress the tx drugs put on the heart. Maybe something else to discuss with your doctor. BTW associated with the liver is generally felt on your right side, not your left.

All the best,

-- Jim
i had leaking around the hart wen my system shut doun  that heald, i still get that pain it seams to  come wen my splean liver and other stuf swells and wen im stresd pleas find me if you get that anser, brething easy helps some times and realaxing?  every ones difrant!
hi my name is john west im 28years old with pain in my left and middle chest ive had 2 ecgs and they came back fine the pain haz been there on and off ova the last 3months doctors have said its cartalige, its all in my head, gastro reflux. Ive taken omeprazole and amoxacillian but still nothing i dont smike dont drink dont take unproscibed drugs im on azothiaprine and mesalazine cos of crohns have u any ideas email me back ok Johnwest_23***@**** thanku
It doesn't sound to me to be anything hep related so I'd ask the doctor to start trying to find out what else it might be - pulled nerve whatever.  Your liver is on your right side and generally doesn't have any nerves inside to cause any 'pain' all that much anyway.

Good luck, I hope you can find out what it is.
I've had the same thing for over a week now.  I think I may have pulled a muscle but I get this weird burning sensation from the sternum up to the collar bone. I also feel a bump in the pectoral muscle.  I'm going to the dr in two days... We'll see what he says.
did you just have a biopsy?

bandman
could be all kinds of things..at 28 and not treating my best guess would be if internal it may be your spleen may be enlarged from fighting the virus...very common and not life threatening...although you need a Ct scan to confirm.

you didn't say what your viral load is, but if the ache is internal not on top of the ribs
and dull but steafy, not brought on by hunger or eating...then that would be my guess.
Usually if it is nerves, various areas of the stomach will ache...it won't always be left side.

if the ache is only external, and around the pecs then there is the possibility of dehydration, or lymph node inflammation...there are lots of lymph nodes around the pecs. There is also an inflammation of the chest lining that can occur, but usually this will not be localized to one side or muscle.

a bump could be a pulled muscle, cysts, tumor, or just inflamed lymph node.
again, the only way to know is to have a scan or express some fluid.
don't get too freaked though, some people get these.
I have umpteen bumps...some they say are cysts, some are tumors....all are benign and people live their whole lives with them. No one knows why, but almost everyone has a few of them, and most folks don't even know they have them, unless they are surface ones.  Just get a doc to check it out.
Costochondritis & Tietze Syndrome

Medical Author: William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR
Medical Editor: Dennis Lee, MD

* What is costochondritis?
    * What is Tietze syndrome?
    * What is the treatment for costochondritis and Tietze syndrome?
    * Related costochondritis articles:
      Costochondritis - on WebMD

What is costochondritis?

Costochondritis is a common form of inflammation of the cartilage where ribs attach to the breastbone, the sternum. The inflammation can involve multiple cartilage areas on both sides of the sternum but usually is on one side only.

The cause(s) of costochondritis is(are) not known and may involve several factors. Possible causes include heredity (genetic predisposition), viruses, and trauma (injury).

Costochondritis can be an independent condition by itself or sometimes be a feature of a more widespread disorder. Examples of illnesses that can feature costochondritis include fibromyalgia, psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, reactive arthritis, and inflammatory bowel disease (such as ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease).

What is the Tietze syndrome?

Costochondritis should be distinguished from Tietze syndrome, a condition involving the same area of the front of the chest. Costochondritis is not associated with swelling, as opposed to Tietze syndrome where swelling is characteristic. Tietze syndrome is an inflammation of the costochondral cartilages of the upper front of the chest.

Patients with Tietze syndrome develop tenderness and swelling over the ribs and cartilage near the breast bone (sternum). Redness, tenderness, and heat can also be present, but a localized swelling is the distinguishing finding. The pain is variable, often sharp, can be confused with heart pain, and can last from hours to weeks. It can cause difficulty with sleeping and even rolling over in bed is sometimes painful. Blood testing (sedimentation rate or C-reactive protein test) can show signs of inflammation in patients with Tietze syndrome, whereas patients with costochondritis alone typically have normal tests for inflammation.

What is the treatment for costochondritis and Tietze syndrome?

Costochondritis can be aggravated by any activity that involves stressing the structures of the front of the chest cage. It is generally best to minimize these activities until the inflammation of the rib and cartilage areas has subsided.

Rest, anti-inflammatory drugs, physical therapy, and even cortisone injections have been used as therapy for the inflamed, painful cartilage of both costochondritis and Tietze syndrome. Ice packs applied to local swelling can sometimes help to reduce pain and inflammation. Local lidocaine analgesic patch (Lidoderm) application can reduce pain.

Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology, W B Saunders Co, edited by Shaun Ruddy, et al., 2000.
Hi how are you i like to talk about,a chest pain i have on my   left side, i being having this pain for years.Sometime there is no pain,but when i get stressed of something,it shows up.I.ve ben many time to the hospital.I had E.K,G,s done i even had a CT can done,nothing is wrong the doctor tells me.I do notice every thim i have the chest pain i spit up saliva Tyhe cardialist gave me muscle relaxer.I don,t know what is wrong with me.I,m 55 years old and i,m overall feeling  healthy.
I have some similar pain in my left pectoral but have had several pectoral injuries over the years. If the pain goes away when you change positions or you don't have problems with blood pressure or other physical activity you can rule out heart problems. It could be scar tissue, cartlidge, or tendons. You should feel around and see if you can locallize the pain with your fingers by applying pressure. Try under your armpit and also near you breastbone. Also make sure you have ruled out the other causes with you doctor even if you think you are too young to have a heart problem.
I have pain for about 4 years on the right side of chest above breast near stermum.  I also cannot feel air going into lung when I breath. I feel like there is seran wrap on my lung and I'm not able to receive oxygen. My left lunf and chest ae fine.  Is it possible to have a mass on your pectoral muscle?  Could it be lupus?  Does anyone know?
I had all the symptoms of a torn or strained pectoral muscle, and waited several months before going to the doctor just to make sure.  It turned out I actually had lymphoma, and the swelling I felt on my muscle was actually the tumor.  I had itchy skin in addtion to the other symptoms, which did not fit with a pectoral muscle injury, but is a sign of lymphoma.  Definetly go to a doctor to get your injury properly diagnosed.
i have a pain in my left upper chest where my arm and body meet, mine gets worse after i play my xbox i dont know if its from the way my arms or in or if mine is stress but sometimes it worries me but it comes and goes. so thats why i think it might be a strain or pulled muscle.
Hello everyone.  I have had my upper left pectorial pain for a few weeks now. But the inflamation (inflammation) began a few years if not 5 years ago. I did not think of it as a problem until npw becaise it hurts now when i touch it.  I hope it is not cancer, which i do think it is, but after i have read these posts my worry has dropped a couple notches.  I have had gastral problems becuz i hold in my gas becuz its embarrassing cuz they stink. So i think it may be from that and also i have bad heartburn which also i may think it might be from that.  Anybody know?
I have something like that as well. It feels like if i need to pop something, problem is, nothing pops. I stretch every way possible and nothing. Sometimes I reach back, right behind where the pain is, and press hard (as if i was sorta stretching the muscle) and I feel it pulling where the pain is, but once I let go, the pain is back. Any suggestions?
Did your pain ever go away? Did you determine what it was. I have the same issue. Going to Dr this week
Even i felt the same, it is usually near left  underarms and my chest. I noticed it is more because of the Stroller i use for my daughter its handle are putting pressure on my muscles and also because of continuous use of mobile for playing games while sleeping. It puts pressure on your nerves. Don't get stressed and it all will go. Better to start exercising  regularly.
Hi everyone, I am a 22 year old male who is going through symptoms similar to yours. It all started at 19 after working a lot of hours and lifting heavy items on a job site. I am still going through the same pain as you describe. It all started with pain in the upper pectoral region between my arm and my chest. It took 2 years, 3 MRI's, 3 CT scans, 2 X-rays, 30+ times of getting blood work, 4 EKG's and and echo-cardiogram to get diagnosed. I was eventually diagnosed with Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. Thoracic Outlet Syndrome is a condition most health care professionals do not know about or have only heard of and do not know the symptoms. The Dr's who do know of Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (TOS) for short, most often do not know that TOS can easily cause severe chest pain. My chest pain was so severe It mimicked a heart attack and the pain radiated down my left arm and I also experienced terrible dizziness and lightheadedness. If you have ruled out Cardiac causes of your chest pain please look into TOS as a possible cause. There is no easy way to diagnose it but it is a relatively common condition compared to others. Thoracic Outlet Syndrome occurs when pressure is applied to the nerve and or arterial/vascular bundle that runs through your Thoracic Outlet into your arms passing by your neck and chest causing a wide range of symptoms. I hope this post helps someone who is suffering through these scary symptoms and good luck in getting a diagnosis and treated!