Hepatitis C Community
Feels like a bladder infection...but it's not..

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hi:) I am 6 weeks into Pegatron tx. I have been feeling like I am getting a bladder infection on and off since I started tx. I went to the Dr. tonight and he said I don't have one and that it must be yet another side effect of this treatment. I was wondering if anyone else has had this side effect? Thanx:) God bless:)
I know burning  with urination is a side of my tx but not sure what your doing. I am Reba/peg/vic (bocep). I have not had this SE but if I were you  I would keep bugging the doctor about it. What tx are you doing??
I have been feeling the same way. I was on the Incivek triple tx.  I'm done with the Incivek but still have to continue the RIBA and interferon. I haven't been to the dr about it. But the last time I saw my GI he tested my levels of Uric acid. He said that at the time of the test it was low so he thought I was doing a good job of drinking lots of water.  I am  thinking that the treason I am having more trouble now is I haven't been drinking enough water. Try increasing your pure water intake and add cranberry juice to your diet. That's what I am trying before I see another dr. Good luck. Terry
Two things you might check on --

Are you drinking enough water?  You really need to flush the system.  My doctor's office said a gallon a day.  I can't always do that but I do try to drink large glasses of water with the pills and after the interferon shot.

When was your last CBC?  It could be possible that your white counts are getting low which might leave you open to infection.  Hep C patients normally do not get infections like cancer patients do when their neutrophils tank, but it can happen.  The item on your CBC is ANC - absolute neutrophils - and if that number is under 750 (or .75) your ANC is getting pretty low.
Could there be an unrelated medical issue?  For about 8 months last year I had reoccurring urinary tract/bladder infections.  I went to my general doctor many times during that period of time, he treated the bladder infections, and since they continued to reoccur, he sent me to an urologist.  The urologist did a variety of testing, found that something was pressing on my bladder and obstructing it.  She sent me for a CT scan, and I learned that I had a very large (11 cm x 9 cm) ovarian cyst.  It had torced (twisted) around itself seven times and behind my uterus, so the cyst was pressing on my uterus, which was pressing on my bladder (and other organs).  This obstructed flow, caused pain and pressure, and set up an environment for reoccurring infections.  She referred me on to a gynecological surgeon.  8 months seeing the general doctor, and less than a week from the urologist to the gynecological surgeon.  Just a thought, perhaps the problem is unrelated to Hep C and triple therapy.
Advocate 1955
Yes, I have noticed a similar problem to yours, I am drinking more water and drinking cranberry juice.  I had a urine check, nothing, don't really understand it.
Thanks for asking
Dee
Same thing happened to me on triple tx with Vic.  It was just in the last 3-4 weeks of tx though.  Added cranberry juice and it seemed to help.. but was pretty uncomfortable for awhile.  
Yes, I had this same side, like a burning inside the bladder itself but no infection.  I think the water and cranberry juice helped me too.  Good luck.
Hi-  husband had same side effect, upped his water and I gave him something called Cran-Clearance that I bought at the health food store.  I take it whenever I feel a bladder infection coming on. It worked almost immediately.  Stay on top of your water, though, it's critically important.
Hi I appreciate you posting this question. I noticed the feeling of getting a UTI
a few weeks after finishing Incivek, so about the last 2 weeks.  I had urine checked, it' ok so not sure but I am trying to drink more water, pure cranberry juice
Good luck
Dee