Hepatitis C Community
FibroScan Approved by FDA?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

FibroScan Approved by FDA?

Apparently the transient elastography test (FibroScan) was approved by the FDA this past April. Was this discussed here before? Hard to believe I didn't see this anywhere.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/fda-approves-fibroscan-for-non-invasive-liver-diagnosis-203186961.html

I really didn't think it would get approved. Even though it was used in Europe for many years the FDA held off approval. Some studies showed it was not accurate for middle stages. Almost the same reliability as the FibroSure (blood test)

I had the FibroScan back in 2007 and it was close to what my BX and Fibrosure test showed.

The article does state that FibroSCAN should be used along with other tests to determine fibrosis stage. Including the "gold standard" biopsy to confirm if any doubts.

Not sure, but I remember my Doctor mentioning that the FibroScan machine is very expensive.
   Correct me if I'm wrong, Copyman...is a FibroScan a machine that bounces sound-waves on the liver?
Yes BoGal, Uses sounds waves, harder the liver the faster the wave will bounce back, hence hard liver = more damage.

I heard the machine cost $200,000. I have a feeling that price would have to come down to market and sell in USA.