Hepatitis C Community
Fibroscans?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Fibroscans?

Does anyone know if you can have a fibroscan done while you are on treatment? I am on week 21 of 48 but did not have a bx done before starting treatment. I have this annoying problem dealing with pain and I faint. Dr. did not want to try doing the bx but did not mention having a fibroscan done. Any help would be appreciated.
Yes, Fibroscan (the non-evasive device) can be done during treatment. Fibrosure (the blood test) cannot. Liver Biopsy (invasive) could be done, but rarely is. Problem with Fibroscan is that there are only a few centers in the country that do them right now -- Boston, Miami, Missouri and North Carolina.
http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/NCT00125762?order=2

We also have a researcher who posts here who has a Fibroscan and I believe he may scan selected members if they meet certain qualitications. His screen name is "Hepatitisresearcher" and you could post to him. He's in California.

-- Jim
Thanks Jim, I appreciate the information. I am in PA so maybe I should check out the one in Boston.

Tracey
Where in Mo? What are the requirements to qualify?
See link, above to Fibroscan trial sites. Contact numbers should be there. If you don't qualify for the trial, find out if you can go see one of the doctors involved as private patient. Just make sure to ask if the private patients will receive a scan, as that is your purpose.
may i ask what he based the decision to tx now on if no bx was done and you are a geno 1 which has the worst success rate? for geno 1 a bx is almost always standard. in week 21 of 48 it is too late to stop but you may have had plenty of time to wait.

i also think (my guess) that if you are having problems with your liver your cbc should show some irregularities? your symtoms (symptoms) do not sound familiar for hep c?

bobby
Thanks so much for your help. I have been to the website and would like to offer part of the criteria for this trial:

"The subjects must be scheduled for liver biopsy either prior to treatment (treatment na
I believe there is another fibroscan in UCLA Harbor, in Los Angeles, but I don't know much about the details..
I based my decision to tx on the dr's advice. Dr did reccomend bx before treating. I have a problem with fainting ask Dr. to help me find someone to do the bx under anesthesia. At that point he said personally I am not to concerned with you having a bx. Dr said whether it showed 50% damage or 5% damage he would still recommend tx. So that is what I did. At this point I have learned more about the disease and might have chose to wait to treat. I am a geno 1.

Tracey