Hepatitis C Community
Fibrosure

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Fibrosure

Did some of you guys had this test done? How accurate were the results?
I had the test done and for me it was accurate, but i was stage 4 and the test is better for late or very early stages. That said my hepatologist is not a big fan of it. The cost is fairly cheap and does give you some guidelines to go by........... Good luck to you.

cando
hello candoman, and thank you for your answer. it seems like most people feel the same way you do as far as fibrosure is concerned. i will do it no matter what but wanted to have hear some of the group experiences with it. Have a great evening and take good care,

- nikita
I took my fibrosure test in 2005.  It showed that i was a stage 1

I had a biopsy in 2008 it showed my staging as 1/6 ishak.

To the best of my knowledge they may have improved the accuracy since I first took mine.

Since it is a blood test you need to adhere to fasting protocols.  No compliance = less reliability.

best,
Willy
thanks willy. excuse my ignorance but what does 1/6 ishak relate to? i must admit that i have been spending some time today just trying to figure out some of what you guys are talking about? and the abbreviations... forget it! i'll never pass the test...  :)

At the bottom of this webpage in "Most Viewed Health Pages"; it's a handy bookmark to frequently used abbreviations:
http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Hepatitis/Common-Hepatitis-C-Acronyms/show/3?cid=64

Hope that helps, and welcome to the forum. ~eureka
Basically there are several methods of assigning staging of liver damage; ishak and knoedel; are popular, but not the only scoring systems.

Generally the lower the number the better off you are, the higher the number, the worse off.
Knoedel;
http://www.hepcnet.net/scoring_grading.html

Ishak;
http://www.hepatitis-central.com/hcv/biopsy/modified.html
----------------------------

By the way......I am a proponent of fibrosures.  i think they are non-invasive fast and relatively cheap.  If and when you get a biopsy I think it's a great time to also get the fibrosure blood test.  It will provide a decent baseline and you can continue to track your staging via fibrosures till the next biopsy.

best,
Willy
I have not had a biopsy but two fibrosures in 24 months show 0-1.  I will have another one done next month.  I dont feel totally at ease with any of it.  There is margin of error with either test.  If I wasnt such a chicken I would do both like  Willy50 said.  If I have much of a change with the next fibrosure i will probably back it up with a biopsy.   I Plan on treating this summer if I can hold out.  Ive hit the over 50 year old mark and dont know for sure how long Ive had it.  Anywhere from 52 years down to 2 years...
Thanks Willy, you confirm what my hep doc is saying: he too thinks that along w a bx, fibrosure can only be helpful. I am scheduling bx today and will do the test tomorrow. Was looking for another lab besides labcorp that might offer it but it seems like they have exclusivity in the US. Labcorp no longer takes BCBS i found out the other day
:(
His3707, thank u for the feedback. I heard bx is no biggie... Piece of cake a friend told me!!! I will let u guys know if she is still my friend in a few days! Hehe...
Thanks for the helpful links
<3
nikita wrote;
" Labcorp no longer takes BCBS i found out the other day "
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I find this hard to believe.  Are you certain?  Or are you saying that BCBS doesn't pay for the fibrosure test?  Labcorp provides a lot of medical tests.  I can't understand how or why that would happen and would be interested in hearing about it.  Anyone?

Willy
... No longer takes BCBS according to the reps i talked to at BCBS and labcorp... A few months ago,  I went to labcorp to do my yearly TBC and was told that from now on i had to pay or use another lab. Afterwards, i still could enter my claim and send the invoice to BCBS but with no affirmation that they would cover any of the costs. I agree with u: makes no sense.
One reason I ask..... there is a new popular test that so far as I'm aware, only LabCorp provides.  It is a genetic test that provides some insight into how we will respond to TX.

IL28 B test.

I'm seeing plenty of people getting this done whom I assume have insurance.

Maybe someone else has some knowledge about this.  I don't and since I have BCBS I am concerned and curious.

Willy
I am at the hep doc today and dealing with BCBS afterwards... Will let u know what i learn...
I have BCBS and took the IL28b test at labcorp 2 weeks ago and my insurance covered it.
I had all three tests done a few months apart back in 2008.  FibroSURE, Biopsy & FibroSCAN  all were basically the same, stage 1.

So I would agree that the fibrosure is accurate at the low & high end. I would not rely on stage 2 or 3 results and would follow-up with a biopsy at that point.

Good luck
I did 3 FibroSure (LabCorp) tests in 6-7 months time .
All 3 had a different result.
Were the same fasting protocols being done each time?  Blood draws same time of the day?

Were you on various different alternatives protocols, supplements?

Were they all done in the same labs or in different countries?  Any of these might contribute to varying results.  I'm trying to point out that these tests aren't perfect and that we can impact on the results through our own actions.

I did my fibrosure test a day or 3 after a strenuous 5K race.  Duh...... the ALT/AST scores measure tissue damage and guess what extreme exercise and exertion does to muscles?

Not trying to argumentative, but informational.

willy
All done by LabCorp
If I remember correctly (this was 1.5 years ago) I did fast on all three
because I read it on the info sheet of the test , the people at Lab Corp
said it was not required , same as with liver enzymes you don`t need to
fast but I did it anyway.
Boobert, copyman and bali05, thank you for the input.

Boobert and willy50:

The BCBS and Labcorp story looks like it is a florida thing... here is a post i found on another medical forum:

Why did Labcorp FL lose BCBS ?
Was it because the bid was not delivered on time in Jacksonville ?

Is this true ?
...

Thanks for th info.  I can't get good read on this.  A lot of things seem to be in flux due to national health care, the economy and people dropping coverage, etc.

I don't know what is happening but it looks like there is a fair amount of confusion and escalating prices.

I would make sure that if testing is required, check to see if you have coverage, make damn-med sure you have coverage for the visit AND the labs.

Willy