Hepatitis C Community
Flu Shots- should we get them?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Flu Shots- should we get them?

I have heard that the interferon kills off flu, so I was wondering if anyone has had a flu shot? I have heard that the flu shots are hard to get. Is this true? Anyone have any extra sx from taking the shot? My WBC is low, so I suppose I am more at risk for infection.  Thanks!
Hi there!! My doc advised me to get a flu shot as we are high risk for the flu.  I had it done a week ago (took it the day after my weekly shot). I had no REAL side effects other than a sore arm (at the flu shot site)..which is normal.
I hope this weekend finds you doing well!!
I'm doing great this weekend. One of my best girlfriends has flown up from NC to spend 4 days with me.  It has really helped my spirits!! We're having a great time.
Good luck with your decision on the flu shot. Bottom line is tho... ask your doc first to be sure it's what he wants for you.
((Hugs))
E
I would take it as soon as thier available, there is no live virus in the shot, and it wouldnt hurt to to have a little extra help on your side, I also heard they were running low so when you see them advertise i would hurry and get it.....
I took the flu shot and a pnuemonia (pneumonia) shot as well.  Had no trouble with either except had a slight fever and two sore arms.  OUCH!!!  My Dr. recommended that I do so.  Hope this helps you.  

In Him,
Rick
Thanks! I will call my dr. this week to see if I can get one.

E; Glad  to hear you are having friends around. My grandkids just arrived and I am happy. I have been feeling really good lately, the weather is great and we are cleaning out the pool to go in it today. Tomorrow we are off to the pumpkin patch.
I just finished tx and last week my PCP advised me not to take a flu shot this year, but did advise my wife to get one. He went over ways to avoid situations where flu could be contracted easily. I see my gastro Monday and will going over this issue. Keep killin' those little critters!   Pauly
Finished tx mid-August.  I discussed the flu shot with my hematologist on the last visit.  I have never had a flu shot and wasn't inclined to start now.  He shrugged his shoulders, smiled and said he saw no reason to start now either.  Note: This doc tx'd me very aggressively with my anemia, etc sx's and I would be inclined to agree with him.  I trust him a lot.  If I ever needed to be treated again, I would ask for him.  Now, the GI I had might be another story, lol.

It's a bit scary since my wbc's are still on the low side and I don't have Peg in my system to help ward off viruses, but I do feel comfortable not have a flu shot.  

Just my thoughts.

miss
I have trepidation about taking any shot.  I think I know a lot about this subject, but who really knows "the truth" these days! IMO corporations through the "lobby" power control much of what our doctor's tell us.  I can give you many examples of this.  Please review this site on HBV vaccinations!   http://nvic.org/History/Newsletters/hepbnlr.htm

I took the flu shot at the advice of my HCV doctor who I respect, but was VERY concerned.  I think many doctors, as all of us do, "think", without real facts, that we know the answer.  Doctors are especially a group that gives "opinion" without knowing the origin of their beliefs.  They are convinced all shots are OK because of the success of the polio shot; but today, I think, many shots are given out of covert marketing via "government regulation" and corporate (US government in many ways) propaganda.  Just because one shot has merit, does not mean other shots have merit!
Do you think it is because you are finished? Congrats by the way! I wonder what the reasoning is. Could you ask, please? Thanks!
I'll ask when I see him, tomorrow and I'll give you the real deal...  Pauly
Yup we take the flu and pneumonia shots because now that we HAVE a disease and our immune systems are compromised from the treatment - it would be dangerous for us to get either of those things.

We have a CHRONIC illness and just like anyone who does - it IS advised to get BOTH shots.

For sure. I had no problem with either of them either time I've gotten them (boy that's sad I've been on tx so long I've done them both TWICE ugh!)
So no extra sx's huh? I have gotten flu shot before, but never pneumonia shots. I should since I have had it before. Going to another dr. for another shot doesn't sound fun to me these days, I wonder why!

You've come the full circle, Girl! Two flu shots....let's hope it's not three! Nah, you are gonna be SVR before you know it. Why does it seem your weeks go faster than mine?