Hepatitis C Community
Flu shot during tx

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Flu shot during tx

I'm seeing a lot of advertisements about getting flu shots these days. Is it advised that we get them while on tx? I've never had one before, but then again, I've never been on tx before either.

Diane
YES definitely and positively get the flu shot (and get it every year from now on you have a chronic life long type condition (disease) and should always get it).  Not only did the doctor completely advise it - I happened to realize how horrible it would really be to get the flu while on treatment (the real flu - nothing worse in the world makes our sides look like childs play).

Definitely get it I get one every year now.
Hi I am on treatment week 55 and got my flu shots last year at my Hep doctors office, so I think there is no problem there. Good luck on your treatment.

Sonia
Yes, I highly recommend it along with hep A&B shots if you haven`t gotten them yet. I also got a pneumonia shot . The tx will give you flu-like symptoms, so go ahead & get your shots. I was also told to take my injections at 8pm so I could sleep through the symptoms. Good luck on your tx & May God Bless.   P.S. Drink plenty of water.
I never got a flu shot and never will. Well, they say never say never, but really, I'm quite certain I never will.

As to the A&B shots, that's something else. They are important.

x2 - no flu shot for me either
HIi Diane-
I had a flu shot last year during my treatment. My doctor saw no reason why I should avoid the immunization. It did not effect my treatment in any way. My labs all stayed  the same and I remained UND througout.
Although these antiviral meds really reduce your chances of getting sick  (I had no colds throughout my 72 week period), I personally would go ahead and get the shot anyway.
My hepa was completely indifferent to whether I took the flu shot or not.

Since I don't know a single doc who takes it himself and I've rarely taken it, I opted to not take it during tx. ( I took it for a couple of years when I was very busy and couldn't afford the chance of getting sick but that's it.)

One of my sons tended to get asthma when he got sick, so he'd take the flu shot. My other son never has.

The things to watch out for during treatment are bacterial infections.

I just didn't consider my health compromised during tx because I was so ramped up with anti-virals.

I'm not for or against the flu shot - I simply prefer not to take it but if my health were compromised, I probably would.

Susan
This is completely NON-scientific...I've taken the flu shot every year for at least 10-15 years and almost every year I get really sick for like 2-4 weeks with flu.  Last year was the first year in a long time that I didn't take it.  Got sick once for a few days.  So I am skipping it again.  
Didn't bother with a flu shot the winter I txd and the year after but always have before and after. No bad reactions or flu either way. Don't see how it could hurt to have the extra antibodies, but any flu virus that could survive that much IFN exposure would have to be HepCzilla.
I have never gotton a flu shot but have had A and B hep shots after I was dx with hep C. Not sure what i would do once I start tx. Most likely would not do a flu shot. Nice to see you on here, hope you are getting through tx ok. When will you be done?
I asked my study Dr yesterday can I get a flu shot? His response follows.

Yes, you can definitely get a flu shot

Just got a pneumonia shot. It was the worse day on treatment and it had nothing to do with treatment. Otherwise what CoStudy said.
CoStudy, did your doc say, "Yes, you can definitely get a flu shot" or "Yes, you SHOULD definitely get a flu shot ."

My hepa said I MUST get the HBV and HAV vaccines but didn't suggest the flu shot.

"My hepa said I MUST get the HBV and HAV vaccines but didn't suggest the flu shot."

My Doc said the same thing. My treating doctor said that during txt bacterial infections could possibly be an issue with low anc, but I should have strong resistance to viral infections because of the interferon.
I asked for a claification and they do get a flu shot.
My husband's hep doc insists he gets one every year, on or off treatment.  He also had a pneumonia shot during treatment last year as recommended.  My understanding is that flu and pneumonia shots are advised for patients who have 'chronic disease', and hep c definitely falls into that category.  ~eureka
Thanks for all of the advice.

Diane