Hepatitis C Community
Flying with Pegasys pre-loaded syringe?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Flying with Pegasys pre-loaded syringe?

I'm flying to Texas for a weekend wedding and will need to take my weekly Pegasys with me.  The liquid in the syringe is less than 3 fl. oz. but I don't know how to keep it cold.  I don't know if they'll let me pack it with cold packs and carry it on.  I leave so early in the morning, I won't be able to get ice beyond the security checkpoint.  Has anybody had to fly with Pegasys?

Thanks, Sherry
Proper storage of Pegasys:
Store Pegasys in the refrigerator, between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C). Do not freeze. Do not leave out of the refrigerator for more than 24 hours. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Pegasys out of the reach of children and away from pets.

http://www.drugs.com/cdi/pegasys.html

looks like you can leave out of cold for 24 hrs
TSA will NOT stop you from bringing your meds on board. Just show that you have an Rx for it and it has to be refrigerated and you are good to go. People travel with insulin all the time and its the same way. Has to be refrigerated. I work in the industry so this much I know. :)  Good luck and have fun. Just declare it when you get to security check point.
How should I store the PEGASYS ProClick Autoinjector?
 Store PEGASYS in the refrigerator between 36°F to 46°F (2°C to 8°C). Do not leave PEGASYS out of the
refrigerator for more than 24 hours.
 Do not freeze or shake PEGASYS.
 Protect PEGASYS from light.

http://www.gene.com/gene/products/information/pegasys/pdf/pi.pdf

That is from makers of pegasys
Apparently, ice packs are allowed, but they must be completely frozen.  Most screeners are helpful, but there's always a few.  As mykids stated, declare it at security.   Enjoy the wedding and let us know if you had any problems.

Interesting read for a heads-up:
http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=3eec27cd-8a7a-4ad5-a8b9-2ebc4e36dabb

I don't know about TSA rules and regs as I have not flown since 2001 but you can store pegasys prefills unrefridgerated at room temp for up to 24 hrs without worry if needed and do have fun in TX.
I have flown with my meds, you need to contact them a few days before the flight and let them know when you will check in
Not sure where you fly out of but have NEVER heard of Anyone having to contact TSA to let them know you are traveling with medication. That would be illegal! Your dr. prescribed it, you have an Rx for it thats rediculious............Take your meds, your gel pack, or DRY ICE and have a wonderful time. Like I said earlier I work in the industry (for an Airline) and its OK no big deal. Just tell them when you put your stuff on the belt at check point that you have a pre filled syr. and a gel pack and you are as we say "Good to Go"!!!   :)
Here are my observations.

Two months ago I traveled and took my RediPens.  I bought a small travel pack at the pharmacy and it had a small icepack in it.  I put it in a plastic bag and pointed it out to security and had no problem.  However,when I got to my destination the ice pack was melted and my meds were warm.  Since I don't trust the RediPens, I had taken two and had to carry one back home.  I borrowed a regular ice pack from my sister and put the Redipen and Icepack in a ziplock.  It went thru secuirty fine and was still cool upon arrival.     Back when I used Pegasys they gave a welcome pack that had a nice sized travel pack and ice pack.  They don't do that anymore?

So welcome to Texas.  I hope you have a good visit.

frijole
If you use dry ice be sure to place meds on top of the dry ice, if placed under the dry ice it could possibly freeze.
"Back when I used Pegasys they gave a welcome pack that had a nice sized travel pack and ice pack.  They don't do that anymore?"

They gave me a nice one before I started, had ice pack, band aids, alcohol wipes, informational dvd, pill organizer box, lots of med tracking books and even a pregnancy test like I really needed that.

I got one of those the first time I treated, it is nice - I still use it when I travel - Sunny
Grab a "Frio" wallet.

http://www.diabetesexpress.ca/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/149/products_id/561

Or if you really want to go crazy, get one of these:

http://www.diabetesexpress.ca/product_info.php/cPath/40/products_id/731

I have flown dozens of times with 10 ml vials of insulin and syringes (before I got a pump) with no problems.  Didn't carry a script with me, either.  Kind of hard to do since I have to give it to the pharmacy to get the insulin!  ;)  

I have NEVER called ahead to anyone before flying.
Adding:  Do your syringes have stickers with your name on them?  If so, they are yours.  You just have to have the Rx sticker on meds with your name on them to not get hassled.
horsepwr -- I am glad they are still giving them.  maybe scoleman needs to call the Pegasys number and get the welcome pack.  What I also liked was the Pegasys weekly diary.  I kept that religiously my first treatment and refer back to it now to compare treatments.  PegIntron only has some cheezy diary pages you can download and I don't like them so I made my own diary on excel and I record each pill, shot, lab, and general comments about my week.  Today I think I will write ---"Hair loss up from 10 to 30 since Monday"  (I am a counter of hair on my hands when I shampoo)" But seriously, I really liked the Peg diary.

frijole
Life has been such a blur....I just got back from Texas and was racking my brain to remember who from the forum was also from Texas.  Enjoyed my time but didn't see enough of the real thing at all - landed in Dallas in the dark and flew out of Dallas in the dark.  Kept far too busy with activities at the convention I was there for but at least the convention centre was a whole lot of Texan flavour.  Had a nice time and loved the Texas hospitality...made me yearn for another pair of cowboy boots and made me want to go back, I'll tell ya that.  Nice people in Texas and a good time.

scoleman......enjoy the wedding. :)  (and sorry to jump in on your thread. :)
Another item which you could bring (if available) to avoid a potential issue is the information label included on the top of the outer shipping box.  My Pegasys label includes the Rx #, the doctors name, my name, home address, phone number, etc.  You could tear off the top of the box and include in the cool pack in case you're questioned.   My syringes don't have my name on them, but the Rx # and Pegasys name.

Pegasys included the starter kit for me also.  Lots of good stuff inside.
Trish
Gosh -- sorry I missed you.  I was there Thursday for my appt with the hepatologist.  Don't think I would want to live and drive in Dallas.  Lots to do, for sure, but it sure is big.  I am glad you had a good time.
frijole
This is no problem with TSA.  No need to declare anything.  Pick up a travel kit in CVS or other drugstore.  They're in the back near the pharmacy.  $10.  Comes with a crappy tiny ice pack, but my Dr gave me a nice size ice pack that measures about 3" x 3".  Fits perfectly in the pack and keeps the whole thing about 40 degrees F.  If you are traveling in a hotel room that does not have a refrigerator, just put your shot pack in a ziplock and use the ice bucket.  Good luck!