Foods.....
Good Morning guys!
     The other day I posted about labs after one week, many of you offered good advice on things for me to think about or mention to my Dr on my next visit.  Foods in regards as to whether the ribavirin was possibly being absorbed into my system or not was mentioned.  Right now, my appetite hasn't decreased, and I am able to eat 3 meals with snacks in between.  I want to list what I eat for breakfast since I take my first dose of ribavarin with breakfast to see if you guys thought that maybe I should change it for greater absorption.  I eat Healthy Smart ceral with a bowl of oatmeal and a cup of low fat yogart and my GREENS+ drink with orange juice.    I know many have mentioned fiber and to be careful about not eating too much of it.  I want to do the right thing with the best results and many of you know so much more than I as to what to do.  In my mind I just remembered that SUPERSIZE ME documentary where that guy just ate and ate all the wrong things and his Dr told him that he had damaged his liver by doing so........so I guess that is why I am trying to keep the same regimen of what I've always eaten going for as long as I can.  Like I said though I want to do the right thing to make the medicines work to full capacity.  Am I taking in too much fiber in the AM meal?  What do you guys think and eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner when you can eat?  I respect you guys so much and thank you in advance...

In Him,
Rick
Regarding the fiber, what you don't want to take within two hours of the riba are fiber supplements antacids or fiber supplements like Metamucil, flax, bran. Your smart cereal is probably OK but if it has a lot of flax in it -- like Uncle Sam's Cereal I believe -- I personally wouldn't eat it within two hours of my riba.

-- Jim
It's funny you should mention 'cheese omelet, toast w/butter, home fries and crispy bacon'.  About a week ago I was so tired of not being hungry and not having enjoyed a meal in a while I spent the day willing myself to want that exact meal. It was a very satisfying dinner.  But building the determination and 'the want' was hard work.  I'm down about 12 lbs, but leveling off, completely into my tx-sized clothes now.
That's why I tried to get my  big meal in early-on in the day. The afternoon meal was always a struggle to get going on. For whatever reason, keeping the bacon "crispy" always made a difference. If it wasn't crispy, I always sent it back. By the end of treatment they knew me so well that I could use the bacon as a tooth pick. I was oft tempted to repeat the meal for dinner but was scared that if I ate it too often, I'd grow tired. Then it would be back to the Prosure.

All the best,

-- Jim
Because of my serious weight loss and GERD (reflux) I did lots of experimentation with foods. Big meals, small meals, frequent meals, infrequent meals, meals with fat, meals without fat, this food, that food, every kind of food, etc.

In addition to the GERD and weight loss, I also had very strange taste alterations and some of my previously favorite foods I couldn't even look at. Also, at times it was almost impossible for me to mentally eat anything.

Where I ended up was the breakfast, as described, around 11AM with my riba. I can't say I really enjoyed it, but most of the time I managed to get it down.

Then, I'd sit usually sit around for a couple of hours in discomfort, but that would be the case whatever I ate. Then by around 4PM, I'd meditate for about a half hour on different types of food until I could come up with something that I could stomach. This was very, very weird.

Then finally, I came up with something and went out either to a local diner or bought it. That became my second and only other meal of the day. Not as big as the breakfast, but something substantial with fat in it. Down went my second riba with the meal and my eating "job" was now done for the day. And that really what food was all about on treatment for me. It was a job I needed to get done in order to maintain weight and take my riba.

Had no appetite or desire to eat between or after those two meals. This eating plan probably won't work for most, but it was the only way I could get through treatment. Now, my appetite is totally normal -- hungry all the time LOL and I'm trying to lose a few pounds. Of course, no more cheese omelets with bacon and home fries! Too bad, because I'm sure I'd really enjoy that bkfast now.

-- Jim
You want at least a moderate amount of fat when you take ribavirin. I don't see very much fat in the breakfast you list  unless your "smart cereal" is loaded up with nuts or something. If it were me, add more fat. Some suggestions are: full-fat Yogurt, toast with peanut butter, handful of almonds in oatmeal, scrambled eggs in olive oil, etc. My typical breakfast FWIW was a cheese omelet, toast w/butter, home fries and crispy bacon. I still lost over 30 lbs on treatment. I'm not telling you to emulate my bkfast or run out to McDonalds and supersize, but consider adding at least a moderate amount of fat so your riba will be better absorbed.

All the best,

-- Jim
I used to eat fat free. But after starting tx and reading about riba needing fat, I started putting butter on bread or in my hot cereal, etc. It seemed to help.
  Personally, I eat as organic as possible to give my liver less work.
I really only eat twice a day also, but I try to pack in the fat calories in those meals. I eat a whole grain oatmeal with some granola on top for breakfast or yogurt (not fat free because of the riba) and a lot of grilled cheese during the week nights. I eat wierd stuff too. One morning for breakfast I had a baked chicken breast with cashews! The thought of it now is making me sick!
In my prayers!
Janice