Hepatitis C Community
Free Hep A & Hep B Vaccines

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Free Hep A & Hep B Vaccines

In Canada, if you have Hepatitis C, you are entitiled to free Hep A & Hep B vaccines.  My question is twofold.  Twinrix is the combination vaccine for A & B.  Does anyone know if it's also covered or do you have to have separate vaccines?  Second question..how do I go about getting this vaccine if I don't want to go through my family doctor?  I live in Ontario.  Thanks for any help.
Hey fellow Canadian!!! I had natural antibodies against Hep A but needed the Hep B Vaccine.   You get this from your local Public Health Nurse (you can also get vaccine for Hep A from the public Health Nurse).  You get the first shot and then in 6 months you do the booster.  Hope this helps
Oh yes I was also strongly advised and did finally get the pneumonia vaccine...still put my foot down about the flu one though...refuse to put that in my body....personal choice :)
PLEASE SEND INFORMATION WHERE CAN I HAVE FREE HEPATITIS C . ILIVE IN LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHERE CAN I GET IT.
THANKS
WAYNE
Hi Wayne,

Your message is unclear; but there is no vaccine for Hepatitis C at this time,

Bill

My family doctor told me that both hepA and hepB vaccines are not covered. I haven't done my research yet, as I want to first finish my hepC treatment and then do the vaccines.
If you really want to know if anything is covered, first you have to contact your insurance (if you have one) and tell them the DIN of the particular vaccine - they will tell you if they cover it or not.
You can call Telehealth Ontario 1-866-797-0000 and ask them if these are covered under OHIP.
You can also ask them how can you get the vaccines if you don't want to go through your family doctor. Question is why wouldn't he/she prescribe you the vaccines? It's not a big deal.

Good luck!
A.
isn't that something.....canada eh??? I know in SK, AB, BC, and MB they cover the b shot  and you just go to the public health nurse for it(the doc lets her know)......funny how things change province to province.....never makes it easy for us
Hep A and Hep B vaccinations are free in the US too through the Health Department, if you have Hep C.  I suppose this could vary from state to state but they are free (with the condition of having Hep C) in my state.
Well, I got vaccinated for Hep A for free and I'm in Ontario. They give it free to persons with Hep C. I didn't need Hep B because I have immune antibodies for it but I would have gotten that as well for free.  I think you should call your local Public Health office Communicable Disease department and talk to them.
It was part of my tx protocol in Los Angeles.  Once I learned that I had hep C the doc ordered A & B vaccine.  found out later that the  B vaccine is also a f vaccine against acertain kind of liver cancer.