Hepatitis C Community
From 490,000 to > 25 detectable in a week

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I found out 3 years ago I had HEP C.  I am genotype 1a stage 2.

I am Bipolar and we had to get everyone on the same page before my treatment could start.  My psychiatrist, family doctor and hematologist are all involved.  

I am a complicated case as I started with low hemoglobin due to Thallasemia Trait.  In short, it is a disorder that makes your hemoglobin look low when in fact it could be ok. So I was started out with Riba/Peg for 3 weeks alone to see what effect it would have on my Hemoglobin.   I was started out with a reduced dose of PEG .135 mg.  At the end of 3 weeks Incivek was added.  

I started treatment 6 weeks ago.  It has been 3 weeks with the combo treatment.  I have been getting blood work every week.  I got a viral load count on the 2nd and 4th week.   My 2 weeks my viral load was 490,000.  On the 3rd week Incivek was added.  After 1 week on the combo I went from 490,000 to > 25 but detectable.  My ALT went from 42>18

Next week I will test my viral load again.  It will be the 4th week on the combo.  

In the mean time, my hemoglobin has gone from 12 to 10.4 in 6 weeks.  My normal average is 10.5.  So the drop did not really bother me until yesterday when I started getting light headed.    

As far as my Bipolar illness, I have no signs of suicidal ideations.  No signs thus far of depression.  Maybe, as my psychiatrist said I am already on mental health medicines so I have a plus not a negative.  

Tomorrow I will get my CBC done again.  Next week I will test my viral load again.  It will be the 4th week on the combo.  

I am hoping my hemoglobin did not go down much from last week and that my 4th week blood work shows UND.  

I know I have a long way to go but so far so good.  I will keep you posted

Sending out hugs…..
Wow, thats a great drop. Keep up the good work !
Wow! That is really good news and a good response. You must be very happy. Best of luck.
I forgot to add that I started the treatment with .135 Peg and 600 Riba.  I am still taking the same dosage.
Your post is very confusing on dates, times ,when viral load taken etc.
However sifting through it seems you started Incivek on week 3 ??
Why did you doctor do that ,if you know, when proper prescribing protocol is to start it at the beginning of therapy in combination with Peg/Riba?

Will
Sorry I just noticed it was to see how HGB reacts.

Good work ..
Will
Good luck you are doing very well!