Gallstones
Well got the results of my ultrasound today...on top of HCV I got a large gallstone...which accounts for my pain and elevated ALT/AST numbers. Also found out someone cancelled my genotype and quantitative HCVRNA blood test after the blood was drawn 2 weeks ago. No one bothered to tell me...I'm not a happy camper. I'm having them redrawn again in the morning.

My ultrasound report also mentioned increased "ecotexture?" of my liver and "shadowy" areas that could indicate any number of things...to include fatty liver disease...I'm overweight but workin on it.

Brothers and Sisters, any comments from your experiences to help me better understand this mess will be greatly appreciated.

BronxRican007
Had problems with gallstones earlier in my life.  Had a laproscopic (sp?) removal of the gall bladder.  Very common and easy surgery.  But when you pass a gallstone...wow... is that painful.  If you have the option of gall bladder removal, go for it.  It is a lot like a hernia operation.  I skied ten days after my hernia operation and I rock climbed ten days after my gall bladder removal.
I dont beleive that laparoscopic surgery is an option with a significant sized gallstone. That's what I researched so far. I'll let thr doc tell me that next week. Has anyone ever heard of increased "ecotexture" of the liver?
Hello - Talk to your dr about this, but gallstones may be in part due to high protein intake - I did the liquid protein diet (very bad) in the early 80's and found out years later it was likely the cause of my gallstones and gb removal, at which time I also found out I likely had HCV (not related to diet, and called nonA/nonB Hep back then ...)
Haven't been messing around with Atkins hi-protein/hi fat type diets? - this type of eating can also be a prob with fatty liver if you are diag with this.  Echotexture they are referring to can include fatty liver, fibrosis, cirrhosis, etc. - has to do with instead of a nice smooth liver, it starts to develop a texture resulting from damage.  Once they run the appropriate tests, they may want to do a biopsy to look at the cells, if they haven't done this already. . . .  Elevated liver functions can be due to HCV, blockage due to gallstones, or both, along with many other possible contributing factors, such as medications, etc.  With your liver function impaired, it is imp you let your dr know everything you are taking to make sure you are not making it work any harder than it already is (this means drugs and alcohol are out, diet and meds should be taken into consideration, along with making sure your job doesn't have you around potential liver toxins. Hope this helps!
It's presumably one of the most difficult things to do is remaining patient while waiting for blood results. Make sure and check out the liver cleanse before you do surgery. It really helped me.

http://curezone.com/cleanse/liver/default.asp
Do yourself a favor and always ask the technician what lab(s) they are drawing. Also, I always ask my doc(s) for a copy of the lab request form, carry the copy to the lab, and double check their (lab) order(s) with my copy. If they have something different they can get on the horn and check w/the doc. I've caught several "interpretational" mistakes by lab techs while checking in. This little measure of double checking prevents them from saying something like, "...someone cancelled the order" or "...your order says this."

People make mistakes, sometimes more often than not.
gallstones are common with hepc...what you really need is a biopsy. no one can tell you what those shadowy areas are unless you have a biopsy...severe cirhosis can cause a bumpy texture on liver...a biopsy is very important for you. why don't you get one? any particular reason? then you will know exactly what is going on in there. hope you can start treatment soon...

actually if they remove your gallstone they can probably do it at that time...???
They yanked my gallbladder when they yanked my old liver. Said I didn't need it. Don't miss it at all. I wonder what is its purpose besides developing gallstones?
I'm waiting to see a Gastro doc at the end of the month at that time I'll schedule a biopsy. I also have a consult with the surgeons for the gallstones. The stone is in my gallbladder on my liver.