Hepatitis C Community
Gamma GT

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Gamma GT

I am in the end of my two years of treatment with interferon pegylated,missing two months to finish.
The virus is no more detetected and the antidepressants I take help me to bear this treatment.
But I am worried because of the Gamma GT,which has been suddenly very high (282) ultimately ,even if it was quite normal until now.
I made an abdominal echography,and everything seems OK.
May it be the treatment the reason for this sudden increase?
Is anything I can do?
Instead of doing one injection everyweek,must I increase the waiting period between two injections in 8 or 9 days?
Thank you very much for help

GGT by itself, without any other Liver Function Tests, isn't a good indicator of any abnormalities. GGT is usually high in pregnant females or testicular cancer patients but in  HCV patients a increased # is of no importance.
Your PCR tests are of far greater significance.....& I wouldn't be too concerned about it.
BTW, don't change your Tx dosage without consulting your Dr.

Good luck all,
Ben
Thank you Dragon Slayer  for your encouraging post.
I am not pregnant,don't drink alcohol, and my liver functions (with the treatment) are good.Phosphatases alcalines and uree are also normais.

I have also seen that drugs can increase the GammaGT,but I cannot remove the Tylenol(two of 500mg a day) ,neither the antidepressants ,or the sleeping drugs I am taking ,otherwise I cannot tolerate this treatment!
maybe it is excess of remedies!
I am only worried because it was a very sudden big increase;inclusive I made again in another laboratory to confirm this increase,and it was confirmed.
If anyone knows how I can decrease this GammaGT,I will be very grateful
Thank you again for help