Hepatitis C Community
Geno 1A post liver biopsy Treat?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Geno 1A post liver biopsy Treat?

I am genotype 1a, viral load was 1.4 mill, biopsy has me at stage 2 level 1. Lot of tx horror stories, worth waiting for better treatment, have to make decision real soon.
i just had a biopsy too..i don't know the results yet..i hope folks here tell you to wait...my vl was 5.5 ml.type 1a...i was thinking if i was stage 2 grade 2 that i would wait but i don't know...i think a lot of it has to do with how long you've had it...if you had it 30 years then from what i hear you probably won't do much more damage in the next 3 years waiting for the v950..anyway good luck...billy
at a stage 2 you can wait a year or two for the results of the new trial drugs that look very good. if you choose to tx now you may finish with only a 50% chance of svr about the time the new drugs are commung on line to the public. remember that the current drugs can have many new and lasting side affects.
one year is not a long time to wait to see.
even when the new drugs come out(if at all), interferon and ribaviron will still be in the mix. i was watching a lecture by Dr. Dietriech. he said the current drugs may always be necessary in combination with telaprevir. even if you don't get svr interferon/riba usually slows progression of fibrosis. so, for me being a 1a, tx is a no brainer.
You might be able to get in a clinical trial since you are treatment naive. Someone on here knows the website. If I was a 2 I would have waited also. I'm in week 39 of 51 now. Only 12 more to go.

I am going to meet with my doctor in 1 month, believe infected since 1998, getting vaccinated against hep a & b now. Already have biopsy results that I think is most important, 1a is a real tough one to fight, doing viral loads I was told is not accurate when being vaccinated for a&b. I thing my stratergy will be to monitor viral load after A&B shots and hope for better treatment, what is 2 more years?

i
yes, the new drugs may include peg. the dif is tx may only be 4 weeks not 48 weeks, the svr rate may be 99% not 45%. this is a big difference. in several years that may even improve.\good luck.
No one knows for sure how soon we can expect the newer drugs. At this point the trials all include SOC drugs, I'm sure you know. You have time to wait to get a more accurate time frame for when the newer txs will be on the market. Your liver biopsy is good news, and viral load is so changeable. I was tested at 11,000,000 in June and was und by week 3 in Dec. I stalled for months about txing, and quit at 16 weeks which was more feasible for me as a geno 2.
Bug
please just consider,

waiting for 1 or 2 years will not make a big diference in progression but should show how well the new tx is progressing in trials and how soon it will be available.

the big thing is to enjoy the 1 or 2 years you wait to see as you will never get to relive them. forget you have hcv and set your clock for 2 years.

read all you can and decide on knowledge not FEAR. you can loose more from premature tx than waiting.

remember ,, many never get sick from this at all.
4 weeks - do you have any support for that statement? Mike