Hepatitis C Community
Genotype 1B

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Genotype 1B

Fellow Warriors,

Today I finally found that I'm genotype 1B but I'm still waiting on viral load test to come back and biopsy to be done. My Question: Is anyone here a genotype 1b and have you acheived SVR? My understanding is that 1b is the hardest to treat.

BronxRican007
Well, I was a 1b, but I'm SVR.  It wasn't easy for me, but it can be done.  I wish you the best,  Dave
best of luck
Bronx,,,,1a here but I think they pretty much are same,,,same sentence of 1 year!  I did 52 weeks and SVR 3 month post so the tx works!
To All;

What was your liver disease stage pre and post TX?
Goodluck on your 3 mo. post pcr.  I still have 10 more shots getting antsy ready to get it over with. Been clr. also since wk 12. 1A

Monte
I was stage 3 before tx.  I don't know what I am now- whether my liver has improved.  Take care,  Dave
thats me 1b you can beat it my man
still on tx but started at 11million clear now 14 shots to go, i came to medhelp last june feels like yesterday
You're doing TX for more than 48 weeks? Wow that seems long...Why?
geno 1 is 48 weeks
Good luck to you!
1B, viral load 2.5 mil, grade 2/stage 1, 48 weeks peg/copeg, undetected @ 12 weeks, will get 3 mos post PCR 7/05.  Wish me luck on SVR and same to you.
Bronx. Per my GI, 90% of the USA has type 1 Hep. Of those, 70% are 1b.

Dana
I am 1b,stage 2, 650,000 vl. Just started tx 3 weeks ago, doing fine so far.
Lauren
I seem to mirror docsgold stats. Genotype 1b, vl 2.5 million, biopsy grade 2 stage 1, mild fibrosis. On my 10th shot. Will have my 12 week PCR RNA test next month. Had a blood test a few weeks a go and my liver enzymes (ALT and AST) were both in normal range, about 34. Good luck to you Bronx. I have an interesting story to post later. I don't have time now. Remember, everyone is different. It is best to get this hideous monster out of your body. I respect those who wait.
Don't forget to post your interesting story.
stc1993--10 shots left, can you see the light at the end of the tunnel?  I can remember thinking what a long year it was going to be at the beginning of tx.   Taking care of all those "little" side effects really makes the time fly.  LOL

cigaso--on the 10th shot and counting.  I, like you, considered the odds and decided to go for it and rid myself of these varmits.  Will be looking for results on your PCR.  

Good luck to everyone and thanks for the well wishes.
I won't forget, it is lengthy and has to do with a policemen who lived in my area. Oh what the heck, here we go.

There was a story 2 weeks ago in our newspaper about a policeman who had been on the force for over 20 years. He had a wife and children and was very protective of his family. In fact, he stated, how through the years, he enjoyed getting impaired drivers off the streets to keep the area safe for his family. Well one day about tens years ago he was trying to arrest a lowlife and the guy bit him, giving him HCV. The cop went undetected until a routine blood test (most likely a spike in AST/ALT). He took more tests and he was dx with HCV. His diagnosis was just recent and it was determined the HCV had ravaged his liver to ESLD. He immediately went into the hospital. His doctors detemined he was close to death and before they could put him on a liver transplant list he died. He died like 2 days before the article was written. Very sad case and he was buried with full honors and also honored as dieing in the line of duty.

Now, after reading the article I thought certainly this policemen drank, which progressed his condition. I had an appointment with the Pharmicist who supplies my Pegasis/Riba. I was curious and asked how could this policeman loose the fight so quick without drinking. He said there is a small percentage of our population who, when contracting HCV, will have their liver destroyed in a short period of time. This substantiated my choice to start treatment. I'm not saying not to wait or not hold off treatment. I know Tallblonde, who I respect highly, is holding off treatment for her own reasons. I just found this story to be cryptic and sobering. Personally, I am determined to get this nasty ailment out of my body. I have posted this for those on the fence of whether to treat or newbe's who might be questioning their decision to continue treatment. Bronx, once you find out your liver damage your decision will be easier. Good Luck and your not alone.
Wow! Interesting story cigaso...interesting may be an understatement!
Hi, I'm 30 years old.I recently was diagnosed with Chronic Hepatitis C. Might've had it for about 10 years now. My Viral Load is 32,056 IU. My Genotype is 1b. What are my chances of acheiving SVR with treatment?
Good to hear from you, it's been awhile. I assume then you've finished with treatment and are waiting for your post treatment viral load test to see if you're SVR (cured) ?

Little confused why they are doing your genotype test now as it's usually done before you start treating. Also, I don't see the point of getting a biopsy post treatment unless the treatment fails. If treatment is successful, what is the point of a biopsy, other than curiosity. Biopsy have certain risks and only make sense if you can use that information in terms of clinical decisions. If you end up cured, there really isn't anything to do, regardless of biopsy stage. So, unless your medical team gives you a very good reason, I'd hold off on getting a biopsy until you get your viral load tests back and not get one unless you fail treatment.

All the best,

-- Jim
Just realized I was answering a post a couple of years old. LOL. I assume then that "Bronx" posted this prior to treatment. As Yogi Berra once said, it's Deja Vu All Over Again.

-- Jim
HAHAHAA yeah that one freaked me out too!  I was like huh BronxRican is back is this new or old hep what is going on!!!!!!!!!!

i have hep c genotype 1b.  my viral load is a little over 3.5 million.  i've had 2 biopsies so far over 10 years, give or take.  i started treatments yesterday.  they tell me i'm in stage 2.  is that bad?  what is stage 3 like?  how many stages are there?  i guess i haven't been paying much attention to the disease until now.  it's starting to be noticable.  it gets in the way a little bit.  not too bad though.

when i started down this road, things were different.  they overdosed you on interferon in hopes of not killing you, but killing the hep c.  it was not a pretty picture.  i stayed away from the doctors for a long time (years).  i guess partly because i thought that if i could continue to work and participate in life, i couldn't be too sick.  now i realize that's just denial.

i have had my first shot of peg/interferon and ribovirin.  i have hope.

god bless,
cagirl
you sound a bit like me. Were you in clinical trials years ago? I was...and then ran away from all dr's for years. I am on my 27th wk of tx. Wishing you the very best and SVR to boot.
Y
Bronx, it is frequently recommended that people with either of the 1 genotypes (a or b) treat for 48 weeks instead of 24, but it is entirely up to you and your doctor.  I am going to push for 48 myself.

Anyway, I too am a Genotype 1b.  I am stll in the acute phase, viral load 188,000 and I start therapy this next week.  I am going to press for 48 wks of tx because I want to be on the safe side.

On Genotype 1, especially if you get it in the acute phase, you still do have a good chance at clearing it - of at least, that's what they tell me ;)
That seems like a low viral load to me?  What makes you think you've had it for ten years?  It would seem like a low viral load that you might be able to kick out with treatment, but then, I don't know that much about it yet.

And yeah, sorry all, didn't realize I was responding to a thread that so old! ugh!
How come there's a repost of a two-year-old thread here?

wyntre

Sounds like you're telling my story.  I hated the trials, but that was the only thing being offered at the time.  They have really improved on the treatments.  I have some liver damage, but don't know the numbers.  How is your treatment going?  I feel like I have the flu all the time.  Not much different than without the treatments.  

ca-girl
What do you do when you feel like giving up on the tx?

ca-girl
When you get your feet knocked out from underneath you, you sit there in a daze wondering what had happened then the pity patty wells up and eventually overflows and before you know it, you start to craw all the while the anger and frustration is moving you forward and you begin to grasp things to help pull you up and before you know it, your back on your feet again, if you want to be. It is a vicious circle during TX but each time it happens we will hopefully learn new things about ourselves that will help move us forward. TX’ing is just like a bad divorce and the SX is the battle ground but in the end you come out a better person no matter what happens.

jasper
Hi, I'm new here.

I've been diagnosed with HCV 10 monthes ago, genotype 1b, started the treatment not long after that.

Did you start the treatment?

tho my liver functions are fine and I'm pretty young, I choose to treat my self now.
what I wanted to say is that after 2 monthes of Rebatol and Peg-Interferon, the goverment (Israel) cut me off from discount cause they say it didn't worked...

tho my vl at first was 100.000+
now it's 90.000.
any way, genotype 1b is not easy but you should keep on fighting, cause I truly believe that "Hard" is not "Impossible".

Good luck, I'll be happy to hear how it went :)

i am genotype 1 b since january 1983. About 6 years ago, i was treated with pegylated interferon alpha 2b and ribavirin cap. for about 11 months. i  responded to the medicine but couldn't clear infection. i quit treatment bcause of high depression.
Hi Abdul - you have posted on a very old thread and most likely will not get noticed .  If you cut your question  and then go to the top of the page and click the green "Post A Question"  and then re post, you will have a thread of your own.

Good luck
Just completed my 48 weeks of traetment for Hep C Gb.  It was the toughest thing I've ever done nut my viraload has been undetectable since the 10th week so I am hopefull.  I was taking Ribavarin, Pegasys and Victrelis. A brutal reiment of drugs. I pray that I am now free of the Hep C and can get on with my life.  I lostv 70 pounds during the 11 month treatment.  Stay positive, pray if you do and just hang in there.  The time will pass.  I became severely depressed so get some help early with depression.  God bless allof you who are currently fighting this demon. I am with you and don't hesitate to email me with any questions.

Steve