Hepatitis C Community
Going through an airport with interferon injections
About This Community:

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Going through an airport with interferon injections

Hi everyone,
I am going on a trip to visit my family in another state.  I need to get my interferon down there.  My question is about airport security.  How do I get my meds through security?  I really dont want to pack them in my checked luggage because of the temperatures at this time of the year while leaving Minneapolis.  They might freeze even in a small cooler.  And can they go through the xray machine without damage?  Do I need a doctors note or will the RX label be sufficient?  I know I can check with the airlines but sometimes different ppl at the airlines give different answers.  I just wondered if any of you have traveled with your injections.  Its possible that I could send it overnight by UPS or the postal service but again, Im afraid of freezing. Thanks for your input.
Related Discussions
10 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1765684_tn?1333822768
Never, ever, EVER pack your meds (no matter what they are) in checked baggage.  I've had baggage take trips to cities I've never seen.  ;)

While I didn't fly with interferon, I have flown many, many times with insulin.  As long as the syringes/vials are labelled you're fine.  My insulin bottles NEVER had a script label on them and I never got a hard time about them.

No problems putting them in a small lunch bag with an ice pack.  I've taken my interferon back and forth to the hospital that way many times.  They don't freeze.  Just put a sandwich in between the ice pack and your meds.

Don't use a courier.  Always travel with your meds on your person.
Blank
1765684_tn?1333822768
Oh, and xray machines won't do anything to your meds.
Blank
2062453_tn?1350336542
I think the following web site will address al of your questions,

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/index.shtm

Happy travels, Sentinel
Blank
1394098_tn?1385963734
Thank you for the answer.  Thats what I thought.  My interferon doesnt have my name on the individual syringes but they come in a box with my RX label on the outside.  As costly as this medicine is, I dont ever like to let it leave my control. I may go to the airport a little early in case I have to deal with the TSA.
Blank
1394098_tn?1385963734
Thank you for the link.  I will check it out.  I have so much to do before I leave on March 13th.  But leaving MN for TX will be a welcome change.  Im visiting my daughters and my sister.  They will try to "mother" me the whole time, Im there. So I can just relax.  It will be so nice.  Although, even here at home, I have a very supportive husband.  But I cant wait to go and sit outside in some warm weather.  Im surrounded by snow and ice right now.
Terru
Blank
1394098_tn?1385963734
Opps Terry not Terru.  Although, I have been called a little terror before.  LOL
Blank
1148619_tn?1332014584
Good question. I traveled over the holidays and this is what I did.

Got a note from doctor.
Packed injections and pills in small cooler.
Told the security folks I was carrying on injections.
Open up cooler with boxes in it,  with label showing and sent them through x ray.   No problems. All went well. I told my doctor I was traveling and she was not concerned about meds going through x rays. Security folks were not also.
Have fun!
Blank
2064241_tn?1331001644
you should have gotten a travel kit with the meds just put a cold pack in with the meds and go
Blank
careful of the sun going from Mn to Tx the sun will raise Heck with your skin, this I know to be true.............  :( made that mistake on an overcast 70degree day in fla during the winter. Oh ya!
Blank
1148619_tn?1332014584
Oh yes, the sun! Mykids247  brought up a good reminder. I went from pacific northwest to south and first day at pool got a rash from the sun! Be careful.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hepatitis C Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...