Hepatitis C Community
HAVE ANY OF YOU REALLY TRIED OLIVE LEAF EXTRACT?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I've been reading that olive leaf extract can kill HCV.My experience with herbs that I bought in a health food store has never been very good because they're not very strong.I've tried olive leaf before and it never did anything for me.I'm lucky to live in Losangeles, California because olive trees grow all over town.Last month I had an idea to make my own so I picked a trash bag full of leaves from a mission olive tree.After washing them,I packed a five gallon glass jar full of leaves then I filled the jar with Apple cider vinager and let it set for a month.I can't believe how strong it is.This is so strong that I can feel it working throughout my body every time I take a drink.My question is,have any of you ever tried this? My wife and I have been drinking this for two weeks now and I'll post the results I get from my next blood test in Febuary.
Sorry - I don't think anything kills HCV except Interferon and Ribavirin combo treatment.

Otherwise...we'd all be doing that instead of treatment.  Believe me.

Also - make sure that the herbs/extracts DONT raise your liver enzymes.  We've seen plenty of people who believed that certain things WOULD kill the virus and instead their enzymes tripled.

Nothing kills the disease except the cure.
Well said.
You have no idea what concentrations you are ingesting. I think it is really risky to do such a thing. Who knows what those trees are sprayed with, what toxins are on them being in LA from air pollutants. Soaking them in vinegar and then ingesting it seems a wild shot in the dark to me.
I dont know where you heard it kills hCV, I'd be more worried it would kill or harm me to ingest something I had no clue about concentration levels or purity.
Five or six years ago the internet was alive with product offerings claiming to defeat the disease.Thanks partly to intelligent forums such as this one fewer sufferers are being tempted to quack remedies.
A quick Google scan of olive leaf/hepatitis c reveals the usual regiment of supplement retailing sites recycling the 'ancient remedy' tall tale.
If you have Hep C work with a specialist medical doctor to maintain your health.
I agree with above posters. If you don't heed the advice, do yourself a very big favor and don't put that blood test off till February. Do it NOW and make sure at a minimum they run a liver panel including ALT and AST. Don't be an ostrich with your head in the sand -- or in this case the olive extract :) Make sure you know for sure this is not hurting your liver.

Be well,

Jim
If any one has had Apple Cider Vinegar, you know that stuff would be tough to get down. Olive leafs? That's a new one for me.
Sorry to disappoint you, prevailing winds make that impossible. It all goes to the Ojai Valley, not here.
k i s s i n g first comes hep then comes feud then comes which way does the wind blow.
I don't thonk I'm getting enough oxygen to my brian, or I'm just feeling normal, But i forgot what normal was.
If today is normal thinking then maybe thats why I am single.
  I'm a single piece of toast
in the comment part I wrote, but it pisappeared, Rev and Kalio sitting in a tree
I used oriental herbs from a very reputable Chinese doctor.  They really kept me in check for 5 years.  I believe my bad diet and some of those lite beers, brought my enzemes up.  I did try the Olive Leaf, whew the taste was awful.  I stopped using it very quickly as I couldn't handle the taste.

If you want to use Olive Leaf get it from a reputable place and not pick it from trees.  As it was said above, it could contain pesticides, etc.  Altough, plants do filter pollution.  They take in the bad stuff and give off oxygen.

Mer
I used oriental herbs from a very reputable Chinese doctor.  They really kept me in check for 5 years.  I believe my bad diet and some of those lite beers, brought my enzymes up.  I did try the Olive Leaf, whew the taste was awful.  I stopped using it very quickly as I couldn't handle the taste.

If you want to use Olive Leaf get it from a reputable place and not pick it from trees.  As it was said above, it could contain pesticides, etc.  Although, plants do filter pollution.  They take in the bad stuff and give off oxygen.

Mer
Ive become a bit of a skeptic from my experience with HCV G1 and treatment. Interferon and Ribavarin treatment seems to be given on basis of "connect the dots" with only subtle variations in dosage distinguishing individual patient Tx.
Interferon and Ribavarin Tx almost casually accepted as only option despite the SX (Horrible). I would try about anything else I've heard about thus far before joining the herd and taking (given I had time)

Now for the hypocrit in me to come out.
I DO believe Int/Rib Tx will and does kill the HCV virus, It also dam near killed the patient too in my case.
At this time I DO NOT believe any other concoction does this in a DIRECT fashion. However I think there are alternative medicines which aid the body's (and Liver's) immune system and regenerative ability's which in turn increase likelyhood of SVR.

Bottom line (for me anyhow) is that I think it will ultimately be a combination of Big Drug Co. and alternative medicines which form the best defense and offensive team.

How's that for standing on the fence line LOL! Be well all!
Hey, good post Crazy Train, you don't sound too crazy to me!
your sir, are no kalio.
I'm not another, dont you remeber ?  I'm revenire___ number 17
I , like you , feel strongly both ways.:-)
kissing in trees or eating the leaves ? which way does the wind blow..i have been told,by the leading chinese herbalogist in stonycreek -that mango pit soaked in fresh boars urine,stewed over hot coals from a reputable crematorium; then sqelched inthe blood of central park pigeons ....stinks something awful.....y'know i took him at his word
he he he...
I have news for you. You not you. A few years ago we did an expirment. I am you, you have been replaced.
Revenire {my hero from hep forum} is all of us. He has enter us as we were sleeping many moons ago. And I have the rocks to prove it.
So repeat this mantra in song and sing loud, sing proud,
I CAN'T, HE CAN SO LET HIM,   LET GO AND LET REVENIRE TAKE OVER MIND BODY AND SOUL
Oh no, I had no idea someone could get a meaning like that from what I was saying. Why would I say something like that.  It was a joke, it was off the wall. You and rev arguing over which way the wind blows in L.A. is very funny, I mean its FUNNY.
I was being off the wall just as you were, and thats great I love sillyness.
Maybe you didnt see how silly it is to argue over the wind, I 'm sorry.
But come on, with all the pain and suffering we go through on tx, I think its great to be able to go off the wall with humor even if there is a little bit of truth.  Hail REVENIRE
I dont know who you are or why you are saying these things but I suggest you MYOB. I have never been anyone but Kalio1, I have no "former selves" I have never used any other name.

Better arguing about the wind then post tx sides, and why post tx sides can not conclusively be related to tx, because no scientific studies have been done, and probably won't be done in our lifetime, and therefore...ya di da

Ina
------- Zinc is a negative regulator of hepatitis C virus RNA replication please llok into this article
----------An article published online on January 7, 2008 in the journal Hepatology revealed the findings of researchers at Shriners Burns Hospital in Boston and Harvard University that naringenin, a metabolite of the bioflavonoid naringin which gives grapefruit its bitter taste, may help fight the hepatitis C virus (HCV), etc
--------Today Kampo medicine is the focus of worldwide clinical research in an ever widening list of clinical conditions - Sho-saiko-to (H09) for the treatment of hepatitis C being researched at New York Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center (phase II clinical trial), and in the treatment of hepatitis-C induced liver cirrhosis at the UCSD Liver Center. Kampo has been evaluated through placebo-controlled trials in the treatment of headaches, hypertension, fertility problems, insomnia, chronic fatigue, stress-related health problems, and numerous more trials are under way.
I don't have hep c but I use olive leaf regularly especially during cold/flu season and I never get sick anymore. It is a standardized form liquid and I take the max dose suggested on bottle if I'm using it for more than maitenance. What you have done though is dangerous. Also apple cider vinegar is very beneficial to your health so how are you going to know which is really making you feel good? My husband was diagnosed with HEP C 14 years ago, and was suppose to die not long after, so the liver specialist said. After doin the interferon and just not being able to function, he found out that it wasn't working the doctor said well let's try this treatment instead. My husband tossed the script he wrote and decided he had nothing to lose, since he was suppose to die or die while basically putting crap in his body, and he took 1- 1000mg tab of vitamin c every hour on the hour as he read that a study was done and those that did this improved, liver enzyme wise and the viral load had also improved. He did this for a month with out telling his doctor and when he went in for his check up the doctor was very pleased with himself when the blood work came back. He couldn't believe it were his exact words but the liver enzyme dropped 26 points, in 30 days, and the viral load was better. Ofcourse he suggested that he continue the new treatment as it was working. My husband never told him it was his very own vitamin c treatment that actually worked. Why does this work? well we found out with further study that interferon is actually something your body produces naturally to fight viral invaders and it needs vitamin c to produce it in the amounts you need to fight off the hep c virus. Unfortunately the synthetic interferon you are prescribed is hell and frequently doesn't work because like many other synthetic drugs your body rejects it or doesn't recognize it for what it is. But if this is a substance your body naturally makes with vitamin c why doesn't the liver specialist who absolutely knows this, because he did go to medical school after all, tell u so. That way you can make better informed decisions on your own treatment. Shame on them. And my husband is still alive, he keeps tabs on the virus with regular blood work. But refuses to be poked and proded like a guinea pig. The vitamin c is still part of his regimen as well as olive leaf and milk thistle extract. By the way he slacked off on the vit c dosages a couple of years ago for about a year and when he went in for his yearly physical they found that the viral load had multiplied, so he's more mindful of his vit c intake now. I hope this may be helpful to someone out there. :)
you said your husband took 1,000 mg tab of vitamin c every hour.  For how many hours did he do this for?  What was the total amount of vitamin c he took daily?
has anyone checked the date on this thread before responding?

i think olive oil treatment is great, especially when combined with an acidic red fruit, lactose derived protein and delivered on a starched white orbital plane.