Hepatitis C Community
HCC Management & Treatments... Nexavar, anyone?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Some of you may know that my husband has been diagnosed with multi-focal recurrence of hcv-induced hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) and was referred out of the Transplant Center to an Oncologist.  He is due to start Nexavar (sorafenib) as soon as we can get it shipped from the pharmacy -- another unfamiliar medication with unfamiliar side effects -- but it has the potential to slow or stagnate tumor growth.  The oncologist did emphasize to us that it was not considered a cure, but my husband's response was, "Well, maybe I'll be the one!" :)

We have another month to go before his 12-week post hcv SOC treatment blood draw, but his AST and ALT continue to look good.

The really good news is that we were very excited and relieved to hear from the nurse that his chest and bone scans were both clear -- no lung or bone metastasis!  What they initially thought might have been a lung nodule turned out not to be suspicious after all.  It was a tremendous weight off both our shoulders, and it was a good way to start the weekend... at least a bit to relieve the anxiety of starting another 'treatment.'  If by chance anyone has any personal knowledge of treatment with Nexavar and its side effects, please do share, I'd be most grateful.

And to all our forum friends:  my husband, aka "AltarBoyInCombatBoots" wanted to personally say a thank you to all those who offer prayers and showed us support through all this.  As he says, "Just gotta keep faith and be ready for a battle when it comes, and stay positive."  

A happy Labor Day weekend to all.
Tags: HCC, Nexavar
I am happy for the great news for you and DH and the new meds which will help. You both still remain in my prayers.
Great news!  :-)

Check your PM. I have a number of resources for you.

Hector
Nexavar manufacturer website
http://www.nexavar-us.com/scripts/pages/en/hcc/

How Nexavar chemotherapy is given and possible side effects.
https://www.navigatingcancer.com/chemotherapy_treatments/sorafenib-liver

EMedicine Health
Generic Name: sorafenib (Pronunciation: sor a FEN ib)
• What is sorafenib (Nexavar)?
• What are the possible side effects of sorafenib (Nexavar)?
• What is the most important information I should know about sorafenib (Nexavar)?
• What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking sorafenib (Nexavar)?
• How should I take sorafenib (Nexavar)?
• What happens if I miss a dose (Nexavar)?
• What happens if I overdose (Nexavar)?
• What should I avoid while taking sorafenib (Nexavar)?
• What other drugs will affect sorafenib (Nexavar)?
• Where can I get more information?
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/drug-sorafenib/article_em.htm

17.5 FDA-approved Patient Labeling
Patient Information:
NEXAVAR (NEX-A-VAR)
(sorafenib)
tablets, oral
Revised: 2/2009 14331
©2009 Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals Inc
http://berlex.bayerhealthcare.com/html/products/pi/Nexavar_PPI.pdf

Hector
I admire both of you for "Walking on the Sunny Side" during all this. I look forward to more good news from you.
He might very well be the one!!! We never know for sure unless we try. I will continue to think about you guys!!! Looks like Hector has shared lots of information on the meds. Enjoy your weekend...live life, have fun and keep the hope brewing!!

Happy Labor day!

Vann
You and your husband really seem to face serious issues with a great attitude. I can't imagine how difficult this is for you and wish the best for both of you.
Take care,
Dave
indy531: thank you for your prayers... we need all the help we can get!

Hector:  Thank you so much for taking the time to find all those resources!  Lots of good links and information... you're a peach!  There seems to be quite a wide spectrum of response... some who survive for years, and some for whom it doesn't impact at all; some who suffer with lots of sides and can't tolerate it, and some who seem to feel no side effects... not so different from Inf/Rib treatment, after all :).  Guess we'll just be diving in hoping the water will be warm.

Garyw723: We appreciate your kind words... my husband is definitely one who does NOT believe in standing in the shadows!

Vannh9:  I have to take my lead from his attitude, which is always to make life a win-win.  We know the shadows are in the periphery, but we're keeping focused on the good outcomes.

spectda:  Hey, it helps when friends support us, especially when those friends are bearing good news!! :)  Life is what it is, and it's just a matter of making the choice to be happy or miserable about it, and we work at being happy with the good things that we do have.

Hope to receive the chemo early next week... and counting down the days until he has 12-week post PCR -- maybe strictly academic at this point, which takes the anxiety out of it some, but it would still be a nice to see him stay undetected.
eureka
That is good news about no metasticism in the chest and bones.  Excellent news.  Since old alterboyincombatboots (Love the concept) has toughed it out with interferon the new drug may not be so hard to tolerate.  I am glad there is hope.
frijole
Glad for the good news.  Sending you both love and prayers.
Ev