Hepatitis C Community
HCV - Outside the body

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

HCV - Outside the body

My ex-husband is HCV positive, apparently he contracted it many years before we met but was not tested until recently.  Yes, the children and I have all been tested and we're all negative.  He is a decent person and a good father, and we get along fairly well considering we're divorced.  I don't want to do anything that would insult him or hurt his feelings over the HCV, however it is a concern and I do not want the kids or me to contract this disease accidently.  So we try to pay attention to cuts and other things that our family doctor told us to watch.  

He came to the house over the weeekend to spend time with the kids.  However he has a large open wound, it was leaking large amounts of puss.  

I rebandaged it for him, washed hands using anti-bacterial soap and insisted he do the same.  The shirt he was wearing I washed in hot water, and put through the dryer.  However, he got some on the sofa, which  I sprayed with Lysol.  This leaves me with several questions.  

1 - What are good precautions to disinfect furniture?    
2 - How do I deal with bandaging open wounds in the future?
3 - How long does the virus live outside the body (looking on the internet has provided more questions than answers to this one)?  
4 - Does soap kill the virus?
5 - Does hot water in the washing machine kill it?  

Thank you for the information.  

Leigh
seems like I'm one of the few sitting round the puter today, so I'll give you my two cents worth.  Yes, HCV is a much tougher virus than HIV as regards to exposure to ambient conditions.  That said, it is more difficult to contract because the virus is restricted to blood, not other bodily fluids.  Yes, pus is gross, but probably contains no live virus.  MANY MANY of us here have raised children, lived with the same person for decades, and very few believe they have spread the virus through normal everyday contact.  For the virus to spread from an open wound, you would have to have an open wound also.  Flip side is the high risk medical emergency personnel face, because there are often venues for self injury in accident scenes.  Be glad your ex is a nice guy, give him a kiss every now and then and tell him so, because he has a hard row to hoe, and if he cuts himself, wear gloves to patch him up.  Normal sanitary precautions will provide both of you some peace of mind, but your really shouldn't worry overly.  SOP: no shared toothbrushes (again, gross) or razors.
Don't share nail clippers either and I think the gloves are a good idea when dressing his wounds.
Thank you for the response.  Raining here.. so no fireworks tonight :)  

There is blood in the pus, which is where my concern came from.  I am trying to convince him to see the doctor.  He is taking some old antibiotics from his medicine cabinet.  I think the whole doctor thing leaves him financically drained and his insurance is not as helpful as he hoped so he avoids doctors as much as possible.  

No, I do not have any scratches or other abrasions.  And yes, he gets the hug and kiss on the cheek and sleeps upstairs in the spare bedroom when he is in town.  The kids adore him and would be heartsick if he were to go anywhere else.  I guess that makes us odd, but it works for us.
Hey, we talking Plano tx here?  If so, then I am going to pass on some info that I did not say, don't know where you heard it.  Go to the horse vet, tell him you have a colt with a cut, or snotty nose, etc. Tell him you don't have a trailor, and can't give him a shot because you live alone, and ask for tribrycin, its the only approved oral medication (like for baby horses).  Its also called bactrim, a broad spectrum antiobiotic for people...and its REAL cheap at the vet.
according to the CDC it Can live outside of the body for about three days. as far as I know soap and hot water won't kill a virus, only bACTERIA. Perhaps a trip to the janis7hepc.com site can shed some light to your questions. It is possible to get the virus through an open wound, if it enters your body through an opening in the skin. Pus is a result of the components of the blood, so it could be a mode of transmission.  Read the CDC site also. He needs to take his wound a bit more serious and avoid spreading it to other surfaces. He does have an infectious disease, and he should not feel like a leper, but he needs to be more cautious with body fluids that contain blood.
I beleive I read in a previous post the virus lives outside the body for 4 days. And no, soap won't kill it.
I don't think it sounds strange that he stays with you when he is in town. I think that is wonderful. For the Kid's sake.
You sound like a very caring person. God Bless
I met my wife in 1980 at a holloween party. I had been to see the Stones that day at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas.
She was at the party as a chorus girl and I was there as a drunk
(that had been to see the Stones that day)
What a great first impression I made . I guess I really did , she hung around.
Oh 52TELE, I could be wrong but here it goes.. removal of the bottom lip may be unnecessary **GRIN**  But if you have chapped lips constantly... you may want to invest in chap stick ($1.39 at Kroger for 2 tubes).  

I know it is scary.  It would be very helpful if there was a list of things to do in cases like this.  Answers would make this so much simpler.  Do you wash the sheets in hot water?  Special soap?  Bleach (I understand this is a good idea)  Do you put antibiotic ointment on your lips?  Wipe down the door knob with bleach or lysol spray?  I am guessing the bleach is best... but again.. not always appropriate (sofas or pillows).  I bought invisible bandages.. they seal things up air tight.  Great for a finger, but again, there are some things they are just not suitable for.  

Whoever suggested the http://janis7hepc.com/ website, thank you it's excellent.  It even has financial resources, which I am sure is a huge part of my ex's issue.  

I did have a very frank discussion with him last night.  I told him that I love him and always will, but he has to pay more attention to this.  Just like he can not smoke in front of our asthmatic child (and he is very careful with this), he can not leave open wounds festering and possibly creating issues for others.  Honestly if he did not have HCV, he should not be doing this.  Above and beyond the gross factor, it leaves him susceptable to all kinds of nasty germs making the infection worse, plus all the nasty germs that live in pus to begin with.  I even asked him what he would say if I let one of the kids do that.  I called the family physician and he swore to me he would swing by today to get things looked at.  

Cross your fingers, and thank you for being so open and honest with me.  I know this can feel like a double edged sword in so many ways.  

Why stop at the lip? I was thiking if I had a total head removal I'd elimiate not only headaches but the ringing in my ears would end too, not to mention being worry free as an added bonus.
;)

today is my 26th wedding Anniversary
hope you are having a side free or side reduced day!

Congrats. My 26th was May 15th. You must have a good one , I know I do.
Wow! 26 years is a long time to be married. You must be doing something right. Congratulations! Hope you have 26 more years of marriage.

Linda
Hey don't have it removed, just have it shrunk for the day. You know, even under the worst scenario, a little head on your aniversary ain't a bad thing.

ba-da-bum....
Why thanks to you both. I think I got lucky and picked a gem.
We met on the Greek Island of Ios at an all night dance club way up on a rocky hill overlooking the Med in 79 with "Hotel California" blasting on the sound system. We have been together ever since that day. It was love at first sight for both of us. We are more in love today than ever before.
He has been so incredibly supportive it has made a rough go of tx so much easier.

Sf, hope your sides are being kind today and you got a chance to get a swim in. Are you all tanned and ready for your trip?

52 hey! Another long marriage, that's good to hear. Sounds like you picked a gem too. Hard to believe 26 years have gone by!

Yeah, that's what he says!

;P

hope your getting back to "normal" and enjoying life SVR!
I woke this morning to find that my split lower lip had gotten worse during the night and started bleeding. This was my first experience with my blood "out of body" other than in a lab. I kind of freaked out. I wiped across my lip with my right hand , then , I had blood on my right hand , opened the bedroom door , now I have infected the door knob , if anybody kisses that door knob they are done for  , held a tissue in my hand as I made my way to the kitchen for some water  , all the while not touching anything with my infected hand or lip...
Sounds stupid doesn't it? Its amazing what goes through your head the first time that there is a possibility of infecting your family , or anyone else for that matter. I know that touching things with blood on my hand isn't really that dangerous , But wait until it's you in that position. You feel like you could give it to your family just having some of your blood exposed to them. I hate my lower lip and thinking about having it removed.
When you MEET your husband on a greek Island , what do you do for a honeymoon? Disney world?
All you old married folks make me feel like the blushing bride...actually I am. I will have my first anniversary on July 16th, I think John is giving me 2 weeks to do what we usually do in a week. Nice guy!

I don't recommend tx the first year of marriage, but so far we are doing well. I don't know how I would do this without him.
52 tele At 6'-6" . 260 lbs and said......I met my wife in 1980 at a holloween party.......... What did you go as herman Munster? Goof made me say it...... Congrats on 26. I'll be 28 years in december. When i met her she told me i was crazy. She says i haven't changed a bit. Hope all is well with ya
Hey! 6'6"  that's great! I have a son 6'6" and one 6'8"
Even though I am just shy of 6' myself, I feel like a shrimp in my family! It's great after a lifetime of being the tallest girl in the room!

CONGRADULATIONS ON 26 YEARS!!!.  Long time and still going. I have my 16th on July 28.  

Hope you and hubby have a nice night planned.  Go enjoy, after all, we do not get that many great days where we feel good.  Find a food that does not taste aweful in your mouth for tx and order a platter of the stuff.

Enjoy,
Cajun
Wow another of my favorite gals. You behave over the forth? No cajun it i hope.
Thanks! I have my fingers crossed that I will feel up to dinner on the town tonight. I am resting up in anticipation.
Hope you are having minimal sides and enjoying our wonderful weather. It's been mid 70's here and gorgeous.
Hey, 16 years is a long stretch too! To me, the benefits and rewards you get from long time realationships are so nice. It has not always been peaches and cream, but it seems every rough patch we make it past brings us closer and to another level and love grows. It's funny, when I was young I used to think maybe you'd get bored or tired of one person but in doing I have found that not to be true, I find him more interesting and even more attractive as time goes on. Commitment has it's rewards! ( and $ex only gets better!)
I haven't seen you posting, I wondered where you got of to! SO many threads lately it's hard to keep track of everyone. I guess you are busy and working and hopefully you are feeling ok.
Nice to see you
I went as a very fomidable suitor .
*See Websters dictionary--Formidable-- definition #3
"strikingly impressive" and "awe inspiring"

That really doesn't count out Herman Munster though does it?

goof made me say it..... jees
Mine was May 1, 24 years ago.  I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.. now not so sure he would say the same  ;)
Now you know he would, He'd just bring a shotgun with him this time.
I'm not telling you.
I promised I would never speak of it again.(LOL)
funny you should mention that... I was 5 months pregnant, and for our honeymoon we hauled 2 reservation mustangs from southern NM to Idaho.  By the time we got there, they were finally trailor broke.  Had to wench them into the trailor every morning....

how bout you canster, how many under your belt.... whoops thats way too loaded, so how many years ya been hitched?
Hi leigh sorry you have to deal with hep c. It is important to read as much as you can about hep c and visit as many web site as you can to better understand it. First if you haven't caught hep c from your ex husband already you probly will not. it is okay to worry about it but it just isn't something that is easy to catch. just ask him to clean his wounds and bandage them better for the kids. You will be just fine.
will be 28 years this december. And that was after she told her friend i was nuts and she'd never go out with me. and i remind her about that every week or two.
Yeah, hard act to follow! He had sailed from Hawaii to Tahiti the year before on a 24' sailboat with 3 friends ( lunacy I know) so all he wanted to do was stay home. We lived in " wine country" in No. Cal so that is what we did, stayed home. I had a bun in the oven, so I was fine with it. ;)

We moved to Santa Barbara last year ( my home town) and now his favorite thing to do is stay home, which I am fine with, we can't think of a better place to be! We went to Bali for our 20th, that was a thrill, glad we went then, it isn't safe now.
I was a major traveller all my life but the desire is not there now that we live here.
Our big "going somewhere" is walk down to the beach.

How about you two? Where did you Honeymoon?
uhh, dude, do you really think you have to remind her??
Yes'm!   I'm really troubled by this whole issue, and have certainly been vocal within my own HMO about their need to communicate between departments (duh) and get up to speed with followup.  Kripes, I'm feisty and articulate but have nonetheless gotten f*d over more times than I want to remember--which is why, btw, I've taken a long hiatus from MH because I'm trying hard not to remember--and what happens to patients who sit down and take this stuff passively, just because they assume the "experts" know better?   Actually, most doctors do know better, as they've all been trained in scientific method, but they work in a profession that's being squeezed every which way and conducted like a bottom-line obsessed business.  Over and over I'm told by various time-squeezed HMO-employed docs, "oh, that's for a research facility...we don't collect data out here."  And why the heck not?   But it sometimes occurs to me that American medicine is all too consistent with the 'drop the big bombs now, worry about consequences later' mentality.   Although, to be fair, the Brits I've known from other boards encounter the same ignorance from their doctors about the rigors of this treament and its lingering consequences, whether financial, physical, or emotional.  Okay, someone help me off this soapbox.