Hepatitis C Community
HCV 3a - Dr. recommending 48 weeks

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

HCV 3a - Dr. recommending 48 weeks

My Dr. is now recommending 48 weeks INF and Riba after being detected at 8 weeks and the results of my IL28B test.  This is the note I received:  

Plz let pt know her IL 28 B results is TC--this is the in the middle result. TT is tough to treat. CC is Cures easily. TC as she and KDF discussed is probably good reason to plan to extend to 48 wks . TT would have told us the likelihood that treatment would work was low. We know she still has a chance but longer traetment is a good idea.

I would say that I've tolerated treatment well with the exception of anemia which has wiped me out physically.  Other side effects are the standard complaints including headaches and achy muscles a couple days after the shots.

I am going to seriously consider this option.  Any positive or negative experiences from others in the same boat would be appreciated.
Tags: 3a, treatment
I was Genotype 1 so a bit different than Genotype 3. However, I was in the same boat in terms of being DET at week 4. Being DET at week 4 meant my SVR chances dropped to 64% even with 48 weeks (and that was the top percent as other trials listed a lower number). I did 48 weeks instead of 24. I attained SVR so it was definitely worth it to do a longer treatment in order to increase my chances.

You may be interested to read timothy's thread because it contains info you are asking. Here is a link to that thread.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-C/Is-it-really-necessary/show/1924112

Also, here are a couple more links:

"The 24-week course is especially recommended in the presence of steatosis (often associated with Genotype 3 infection), fibrosis stage two or more, high BMI and high viral load. In patients who do not achieve a rapid viral response (RVR) with combination therapy, an extended course up to 48 weeks should be considered. While not as definite as for genotype 1 patients, the presence of the CC variant of IL28b could help in the initial prognosis and the need for additional treatment, if an RVR is not achieved. "

http://hepatitiscnewdrugs.blogspot.com/2012/01/treatment-of-patients-with-genotype-3.html
Also a former G3 but never had the IL28B test.  But I treated for 24 weeks, relapsed and did another 48 (actually 46 with extra aggressiveness) and svr'd.  If I knew....and was plying with a fuller deck I would have done 48 in the first place and avoided the do over.  When it comes to anemia and other side effects doc's have bags of tricks to use if they are so willing.
Im a G3 with IL28B CT as well. I was UND at week 5 and opted for longer treatment duration however insurance would only let me do 28 weeks. (I was shooting for 36) If your insurance goes for it and you are generally tolerating treatment well...I say do the 48.

Good luck
Thanks everyone for the feedback.  Personally, time seems to go fast and it makes sense to continue for as long as insurance allows.  I'm currently approved for 28 weeks and we'll have to cross that bridge when we request additional meds.  As we all know, a lot can happen between now and then.
I too am a G3, I also have been recommended 48 weeks. I am very fortunate in that Genetech is supplying my Pegasys (interferon-alfa2) and Copegus(ribavirin). There maybe away to get assistance through them, here is their web site, www.pegasys.com  
I had posted a question yesterday regarding wither or not extended tx was necessary. Rather than try and recite this valuable info. I would recommend you take a look at the responses. I have no doubt in my mind of the importance to tx for the longer period of time if at all possible.  
Yes this is very valuable info and think,again with the thinking. LOL Could be helpful in persuading an insurance company's mind set and policy. Another stage but thank you for your insight and support.
Yes, We Can Do It!!!!!

Your diagnosis is very similar to mine.  I am a bit older than you and probably weigh more than you.  My Hepatologist was set on 48 weeks from the start.  When my vl was at 1.7 million at week 4 he said that it was good progress and he saw no need for an 8 week vl test.  My treatment started a week after yours.  He ordered my next vl test at 12 weeks.  

So, FWIW, we are in about the same boat.  It seems that 48 weeks of tx is the way to go.  

Hope we all get well and do it right the first time.

nuhepper