HCV Antibody Reactive; RNA QUAL TMA Not Detected
Blood work in 2010 and 2012 tested reactive to HCV Antibody. I wasn't aware of the 2010 blood work results because it was done by a life insurance company that eventually refused to write me a policy. I learned about it only after requesting a copy of my Medical Insurance Bureau file in late April 2012. I went to see a doctor about it, after which a Hep C antibody serology was ordered. When the most recent results came in as reactive, the same specimen was sent out for HCV RNA QUAL TMA, which had a "NOT DETECTED" result. I'm really not sure what to think. I have already cried a river about testing positive to the hep-c antibody and not being able to afford treatment, which my lousy insurance I'm sure won't cover.

My real question, then is: What are Hep C Antibody "Reactive" and HCV RNA QUAL TMA "Not Detected" results really telling me?
Reactive to HCV Antibody = You were some how exposed to the virus.

HCV RNA Not detected = You cleared the virus on your own. 15-20% of the time people clear the Hepatitis C Virus on their own and your results seem to indicate that is what happened to you.

====>You do not have the virus.

I think it is a good idea the lab tested for the actual virus itself in addition to the antibody since otherwise you would have reason to worry. But with both test results you are able to see you don't have Hepatitis C
______________
**Also, once you have been exposed to the virus One thing I am not sure about is if once you test reactive the antibodies will always be present in your system.

http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/hepatitis-c/tab/test

.
Oops sorry about the last sentence. I wasn't sure if once you test reactive the antibodies will always show but I Googled it and you will.

Anyway the main thing is No viral load was detected. :)
thanks so much. it offers a much needed sigh of relief although i'm still scheduled for a complete abdominal ultrasound tomorrow.

i can't thank this website enough for all the information it offers and for all the people like you who have made and are still making it easier for newly-diagnosed people like me to deal with HCV. I initially thought I was given a death sentence when the reactive results came in; i started planning my send-off party, writing my own obituary, and the whole nine.

with our without hcv, though, this community made me realize i am not alone and the virus is not a death sentence, just an unwelcome, overstaying guest :)