Hepatitis C Community
HCV Eradication

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

HCV Eradication

I know the topic of occult HCV has ben discussed (a lot) and also the durability of SVR. I saw an article dealing with these topics in a large scale study and include an exceprt here:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusions: In this large cohort of chronic hepatitis C patients, SVR was durable up to 18 years after treatment cessation, in addition to fibrosis stability/improvement (88%) and cirrhosis regression (64%). The presence of residual HCV RNA was observed only in liver tissue (1.7%). This result strongly suggests that SVR may be considered to show eradication of HCV infection.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.gastrojournal.org/article/S0016-5085(08)00865-2/abstract

Does this shed some additional light on the topic of occult virus remaining? I thought this article might be of interest to some.
Thank you W.  Just what I needed to read tonight!!!

My nurse said today that I would need 6 monthly check ups on the alpha-feta protein even if I achieved SVR (she really likes to burst my bubble of optimisim!!!), and your statistical info has helped me ignore her negativity for the time being.  (my tx mind started to wonder why I was even DOING tx if I'm a high candidate for liver cancer 6 months post tx, but, having read the journal above,  I don't think her comments mean I automatically qualify).   I'm sure lots could happen post tx (I could even get hit by a bus), but I prefer to dwell on the positive while I'm txing.

Shot night tonight;  done and dusted with a more positive slant on the week that's rolling towards me!!!   The journal helped...thks!
Hi Kris how are you !

I wouldn't worry about the 6 month post tx checkup. Most GI's and Hepatologists will require a 6 month visit then yearly checkups post SVR for Viral Load, LFT's, AFP etc. It is what they do.
  Better safe then sorry. When you achieve SVR your chances of future problems go way down but the DR's like to monitor us anyway which I think is a good thing.  

Bobby
Hi Bobby,

Thanks for that...  I did realise later that she was kind of saying to me 'don't worry we will be checking on you',  but at the time she only mentioned the AFP which made me do a little negative spin.   Truthfully, I just never want to see this nurse again after tx (hehe) - I guess I figured that apaprt from the PCR/bloods etc 6-months and 1 year post, my own GP would be monitoring

I'm pleased I'm still here :-);  week 13, certainly not without some challenges along the way -all bloods holding the same as at 8 weeks (hgb okay - rest low but stable),  but thyroid getting checked again;   put on a wee bit of weight (for me, a good thing).

Lovely to see you back - are you feeling GREAT !!!!  

.

Hey Kris

Week 13 .... that means you are past the halfway point. If I remember correctly you are a 3a treating for 24 weeks. During tx I felt anywhere from just tired to wanting to die from infections in my system. I got a lot of them during tx. Hoping you are doing well.

Its hard to say how I feel because I felt ok before tx and feel about the same now. Maybe a slight improvement, it is 6 months post tx now. Hoping that as my Liver improves so will I.

Wishing all the best to you

Bobby