Hepatitis C Community
HCV HIV delays in window period?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

HCV HIV delays in window period?

Hey guys.  Over 7 months ago I had protected sex with a prostitute of unknown status who appeared to have been mentruating (not sure).  A few days ago I got tested for both HIV and HCV antibodies and they were both negative.  Can I accept these results as conclusive?  I was ready to move on but I started reading stuff about coinfection and how that can delay the window period for both viruses.  Do you guys think I should get tested again?  Or are these results 6+ months post exposure enough?
A six month neg for hiv and hcv puts you in the clear.  Stop testing/stop worrying.

However, were you tested for hep B?  B is a classic std and is easily transmitted through

sexual activity.  In all probability, you will be neg.  But if i were you, i would get tested

for hep B, only for peace of mind.

Your six month neg for hiv/ hep c is definite.

After your hep b test is neg, get the vaccine.  Unfortunately, there is not a hep c vaccine

available at this time or hiv, for that matter.
Thanks for the prompt advice.  I forgot to stay that 3 months after my possible exposure I got a full STD panel (Hep B included) and that came out negative as well.  Do you still think that I need to get tested for that again?  I was just concerned with HIV and HCV cos I heard that the window period might be as long as 6 months when coinfection occurs.
No, you are in the clear for the big 3.  stop testing and don't worry any more.

Learn from this and remember the worry and anxiety you put yourself through the next

you are tempted to 'walk on the wild side.'  Play with fire enough times and you will get

burned.
You ought to consider the Hep B vaccine.  A series of three shots.
The reason I got tested the 1st time around (3 months post exposure) was because a girl that I was dating at the same time tested positive for Hep C antibodies (but neg. for the virus).  So I got really scared thinking that I was the one who gave Hep C to her.  My results were neg. but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't the person she got it from so I decided to take another test at 7 months.  Which brings me to another concern of mine...

The girl I was dating swore that she had never injected needles or anything like that.  She's had unprotected sex before but she denied ever doing anything that would put her at considerable risk for HCV.  Do you think it's possible that I was the one who gave her Hep C even though I've tested negative for HCV antibodies at 3 months AND 7 months post exposure?  This is why I'm so worried about HCV / HIV coinfection cos I heard so many stories about the two viruses extending each other's window periods.  I did an HIV PCR DNA test almost 2 months after my encounter with the prostitute and that came out negative.  Do you still think I don't need anymore testing?
Let me ask you something.  how could you possibly give your friend something you don't have?

you are neg for hep c/hiv/ hep B.  There is NO way your friend has hep c from you.

Btw, ask your friend to have the 'Riba' test.  This is a VERY specific confirmatory

antibody test for hep C.  If her screening test was a 'weak pos' (ratio < 2 or so), there is

a good chance the riba test will be neg, which means the screening test was false pos.

tell her to get moving on this.  Hopefully, she will hear some good news.
I just wanted to add, it looks like your friend got HCV at a certain time in her life and cleared it herself, as ca 35% of people do. She could have gotten it any other way, than through needles. Any one born before 1991/92, could have gotten it from blood transfusions or gamma globulin shots. Any serums made from blood before 1991/92 could have been infected with HCV, because they were not able to screen the blood for it before that. Some people are even born with it, because their mothers had it. Tattoo parlors, piercings, even the dentist or a lab.

Marcia
She actually did have a RIBA test and then some other confirmatory test (that looks for the virus) and I think they all confirmed that she was indeed infected with Hep C at one time or another.  I'm just worried that maybe a possible HIV infection is preventing my body from producing Hep C antibodies fast enough.  So I guess you're saying that this isn't possible and that my Hep C / HIV antibody test @ post 6 months exposure is definite proof that I didn't pass it on to my friend?
You are close to becoming a 'worried well.'  This happens when someone convinces

himself he is pos for Hiv/Hep C or whaterver when ALL evidence says you are neg.

There is no way you have Hiv/Hep B/Hep C from your sexual exposure with the Pros.

It sounds as though your friend tested pos for Hep c by screening test, confirmatory Riba

and Pcr, which checks for the virus.  Your friend is definitely hep c pos, unfortunately.

However, women USUALLY have an easier time with hep c than men.  Estrogen is a

natural defense.

Your friend will need your support now.

I know all about the 'worried well' feeling.  I was one.

PLEASE stop worrying about hiv/hep b/hep c.  You don't have it.
Let me ask you a q.  Are you saying your friend has a pos Riba test and a pos Pcr test?

If your friend has a pos Riba and neg Pcr, then she, at some time in her past, had Hcv

and cleared it on her own.  She will be antibody pos for a LONG time, maybe the rest of

her life and virus neg.  

If she is riba pos and pcr pos, she has an active infection.

Please clarify that for me.
She did have a positive RIBA test but a negative PCR test.  So I guess that means she doesn't have an active infection.  Yeah I know I am becoming a worried well.  I guess I just have to try and move on.  She must have gotten it from somewhere else.  Thanks for the advice.
        I am a 23 year old  who was diagnosed with crohn's disease and ulcerated colitis 2 years ago. I am a nurse and do a lot of immunizations. I could have possibly been exposed to a hep c positive patient after doing a sub q injection with gloves on. I immediately applied alcohol to my finger and then washed with soap and water.. I got tested 7 and a half months after possible exposure but i was wondering if this was enough time to get tested after possible exposure since i do have these diseases. cronhn's disease is an auto immune disorder but it's not like i'm sick all the time other than allergies and the common colds... Should i be re tested again?
Immunocompromised individuals can experience delayed seroconversion of HCV antibodies. I’m personally unfamiliar with Chron’s; the rate of percutaneous needlestick transmission for HCV among health care workers is low, however:

Needle stick Risk for Occupational Transmission of HCV
HCV is not transmitted efficiently through occupational exposures to blood. The average incidence of anti-HCV seroconversion after accidental percutaneous exposure from an HCV-positive source is 1.8% (range: 0%--7%) (73--76), with one study indicating that transmission occurred only from hollow-bore needles compared with other sharps (75).
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5011a1.htm

Best to check with your doctor, and good luck—

--Bill