Hepatitis C Community
HCV RNA, QUANTITATIVE REAL TIME PCR <43 IU/mL Normal

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

HCV RNA, QUANTITATIVE REAL TIME PCR &lt;43 IU/mL Normal

I recently had a test done to verify a False Positive and this is what it reads on the test. HCV RNA, QUANTITATIVE REAL TIME PCR <43 IU/mL Normal  

Can I assume this means it's ok? What does this mean?
You are OK. The result means that no virus was found in the blood sample.  You do not have Hepatitis C
Are either of the words "DETECTED" or "UNDETECTED" present on your lab report?
It means no virus was found at a level greater than 43 copied per ml of blood.  There is NO test that measures to 0 for HCV.

But this test is what 90% of us use to call ourselves undetectable.
Many of the tests that report a lower detection limit of 50, include a qualitative test as well.  So...for instance, you may get a result of 5000, DETECTED.

You might also get a result of <43, UNDETECTED -- which, as you say, is truly virus-free.

You might also receive, as I did, a result of <43, DETECTED.  It seems confusing, until you realize that the quant part of the test is telling you it's below the detection limit, but the qual. part of the test is still detecting low level viremia.

During my last tx, I got to <43 UNDETECTED after 32 weeks of daily Infergen+1400mg Rib.  The next five monthly tests reported as <43 DETECTED.

This represented a viral breakthrough.  I stopped tx, and my viral load shot up in the 10**7 range within a few weeks.

So...it all depends on what test was run to determine whether this is an accurate picture.
many thanks for sharing that - the significance of persistent low level VL has been an open question,  particularly since most published data still uses  a lower limit of 50.

Was  the reporting lab Labcorp ? The Roche Diagnostics assay used for that test provides a VL number above 43 but only detected/undetected  status between 15 and 43. Labcorp correctly reports  the result  but some other labs that use the same assay only report  LT 43 with no detected/undetected status. Good luck with your  next round..
Quest Diagnostics only reports LT 43 with no detected/undetected status when you run their HCV RNA Real Time PCR <43.

My lab reports "detected" or "not detected" and the sensitivity was < 25.  I am unsure if this difference is just the way the each lab may report or what the difference may be. I know we all speak to UND but none of my reports stated undetected.
What is the name of your lab ?
Low level viremia is a b*tch, plain and simple.  It is still a positive test,  The tests I had done were proprietary at Stanford, so I don't know if the assay is the same or similar to the Labcorp or other tests.

By the way, RT-PCR is an acronym for Reverse Transcriptase - Polymerase Chain Reaction, not Real Time PCR.
The lab that Gee and I used in our trial was the taqman 2.0 here are the lower limits of the test:

"Plasma HCV RNA levels were measured with the use of the TaqMan 2.0 assay (Roche Diagnostics), which has lower limits of quantification and detection of 25 and 9.3 IU per milliliter, respectively; the lower limit of detection was used for decision making at various points throughout the study."
I know the test I am just wondering which lab does it ?
My und labs say: HCV RNA not detected, it doesn't say where the lab is.

It comes to our trial investigators from Merck and does not say where the lab is.

Hi, what does HBV, quantitative real time PCR value 1153062 IU/ML mean for a person?
i just got my results too but i have what seems to be results of 2 types of tests,one says <43 iu/ml but then the other says 2,715,370,what means what?
Instead of posting your question on an old thread, you would get better results by posting a new question.  

Is this your iniitial test to check your viral load or a 4 week???
no,i finished the 48 week treatment in 2009 and was undetectable,i relapsed in 2010 and just came home from a year in prison and all they gave me was the test results but did not explain them,i am trying to understand them to see if i am still considered undetectable
It's difficult for us to know what your viral load is without seeing copies of your tests since you have conflicting information. What is the name and date of each test?
-Dave
I would say the test is indicating the level of detection at below 43 IU/ml.  Most likely the quantifiable range of the assay is 43 IU/mL to 69,000,000 IU/mL.

I'm not aware of and HCV RNA Quantitative PCR that has a quantifiable range up to 2,715,370, it's a rather odd number but very typical for PCR results if HCV RNA is present so in my opinion that would be the numeric viral load count reported by the assay.

It's would be prudent to have a current PCR run, that way you''ll know exactly what's going on.

Correction:

test is indicating the level of quantification at 43 IU/ml or above.  In other words the test can only assign a numerica number is HCV RNA 43 IU/mL or above

IF SOME ONE PLZ. CAN TELL ME THE MEANING OF THIS INTERPRETATION OF (HCV PCR(QUANT))

""THE TITER OF HCV IN BLOOD FLUCTUATES IN ACCORDANCE WITH VIRUS LATENCY AND SOMETIME IT MAY BE ABSENT OR BELOW THE SENSITIVITY LIMIT OF THE ASSAY   (VALUE: 3696572 COPIES/ML)
Hi ..You have posted your question at the end of an old thread. You will get more responses by going to the orange "post a question " area at the top of the page and starting your own.

If you have a copy of your lab report and post exactly what it says it would be easier for us to interpret,however at first glance it looks like  there is Hepatitis C virus present ,quantified at approx. 3.7 mill  .

Will