Hepatitis C Community
HCV infection Risk

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

HCV infection Risk

I am hcv+. Few days back I ued hair trimmer at my armpits and had a little graze at the side of my armpit.  then washed the cutting edges with water under the tap, then I poured alcoholic after shave lotion on the edges and also switched on the battery powered trimmer for few seconds so that its adges can be cleaned off, then again I washed it under the water tap and then again pour some after shave lotion and switched on the trimmer cleaned it with a cloth, satisfied I put it in the cupboard. Next day after around 24 to 28 hours later. I used it to cut the hair on the neck of my 9 years old son. The trimmer just nicked at the side of the ear of my son at two spots and the blood came out. It was a nick not deep cut and the trimmer was used after more then 24 hours.. Is there any risk of infection.
Hi, Im not a Doctor but I would not share anything of mine. I would hope its fine this time. Just to be safe i would not do it again. Have your razor and toothbrush and anything personal in a place just for you. gb
From now on you might want to get in the habit of keeping your personal hygiene products separate from everyone else. It is just a good habit to have. According to the CDC bleach is a better disinfectant than shaving lotion and/or alcohol.

___________________-
How long does the Hepatitis C virus survive outside the body?

The Hepatitis C virus can survive outside the body at room temperature, on environmental surfaces, for at least 16 hours but no longer than 4 days.

How should blood spills be cleaned from surfaces to make sure that Hepatitis C virus is gone?

Any blood spills — including dried blood, which can still be infectious — should be cleaned using a dilution of one part household bleach to 10 parts water. Gloves should be worn when cleaning up blood spills.

http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/c/cfaq.htm
"Is there any risk of infection. "
-------------------------

Yes, there is a risk of Hepatitis C infection.

Hepatitis C can survive on surfaces outside of the body for up to 4 days.
Alcohol, water, and/or shaving cream do not kill the virus. Therefore any virus present on the clippers could be active and infectious for up to 4 days and could be passed to another person if that person was cut or nicked with the razor.

To be on the safe side, talk with your son's doctor and get your son tested for Hep C in a few weeks.
there are NO doctors here....I repeat...there are NO doctors here....

your question was answered....take the above advice given to you...
Shahid you are posting in the wrong forum.
This IS the nonprofessional forum for patients & caregivers & Hepatitis C.

You might want to re-post your question in the Hepatitis C Expert/Doctor Forum
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Hepatitis/show/272