Hepatitis C Community
HCV transmission by sex - 1 per 190,000 sexual contacts
About This Community:

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

HCV transmission by sex - 1 per 190,000 sexual contacts

I have posted this study lead by my hepatologist because we receive many posts concerning transmission of hepatitis C via heterosexual relationships and for our own peace of mind for those of us who are HCV infected and having heterosexual sexual relationships with uninfected persons.
I think you will find the conclusions reassuring.

"Based upon 8377 person-years of follow-up, the maximum incidence rate of HCV transmission by sex was 0.07% per year (95% CI: 0.01, 0.13) or ∼1 per 190,000 sexual contacts. No specific sexual practices were related to HCV-positivity among couples."

"...extremely low estimated risk for HCV infection in sexual partners, the lack of association with specific sexual practices provides unambiguous and reassuring counseling messages."

Abstract:

"Sexual transmission of HCV among monogamous heterosexual couples: The HCV partners study."

November 26, 2012
Hepatology. 2012 Nov 23. doi: 10.1002/hep.26164.

Source
University of California San Francisco, Division of Gastroenterology, 513 Parnassus Ave, S357, Box 0538, San Francisco, CA, 94143. Norah.***@****.

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
The efficiency of hepatitis C virus (HCV) transmission by sexual activity remains controversial. We conducted a cross-sectional study of HCV-positive persons and their partners to estimate the risk for HCV infection among monogamous heterosexual couples.

METHODS:
500 anti-HCV-positive, HIV-negative index persons and their long-term heterosexual partners were studied. Couples were interviewed separately for lifetime risk factors for HCV infection, within-couple sexual practices and sharing of personal grooming items. Blood samples were tested for anti-HCV, HCV RNA, and HCV genotype and serotype. Sequencing and phylogenetic analysis determined the relatedness of virus isolates among genotype-concordant couples.
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
446474_tn?1404424777

RESULTS:
HCV-positive index persons were mostly Non-Hispanic Whites, with median age 49 years (range 26-79) and median 15 years (range 2-52) of sexual activity with their partners. Overall, HCV prevalence among partners was 4% (n=20), and 9 couples had concordant genotype/serotype. Viral isolates in 3 couples (0.6%) were highly related, consistent with transmission of virus within the couple. Based upon 8377 person-years of follow-up, the maximum incidence rate of HCV transmission by sex was 0.07% per year (95% CI: 0.01, 0.13) or ∼1 per 190,000 sexual contacts. No specific sexual practices were related to HCV-positivity among couples.

CONCLUSIONS:
The results of this study provide quantifiable risk information for counseling long-term monogamous heterosexual couples in which one partner has chronic HCV infection. In addition to the extremely low estimated risk for HCV infection in sexual partners, the lack of association with specific sexual practices provides unambiguous and reassuring counseling messages. (HEPATOLOGY 2012.).
Copyright © 2012 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases.

Cheers!
Hector
Blank
"1 per 190,000 sexual contacts."

That must be how I got it..... :)
Blank
Can-do-man..... Your comment is 100% at fault for causing me send a mouthful of water through my nose on on to the iPad.

I needed that laugh!
Blank
     I think I got it from the hot-tub...ouch
Blank
446474_tn?1404424777
"1 per 190,000 sexual contacts."
I haven't calculated that out per week but I am feeling quite humbled by my monk like existence these days.

....I would love to see the average number of just sexual thoughts in persons with advanced cirrhosis has per week. Is it 10 to the -12th power or 10 to the -15th power??? Inquiring minds want to know.

(The old dim light bulb lights in the brain molasses of HE)
.    |    ,
  \   '   /
   ` ,-. '
--- (   ) ---
     \ /
    _|=|_
   |_____|

Actually I think I figured it out... It is a "imaginary number" (a number whose square is less than or equal to ZERO.
Those mathematicians are stupid.

;->

Living and loving...life at least.

H
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hepatitis C Community Resources